The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GPT-3 what is it useful for?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Supposedly, this new "GPT-3" A.I. is supposed to be able write articles as well as a human, or almost as well. What can it be used for? It sounds like a Markov-chain on steroids, but I don't see the use if it writes text without any overall structure.

Could you write an outline for a story, and have it write the actual story?

Can it write dialogue? Speeches? Weather reports? Etc?

Maybe it will put local reporters out of business, where someone just types in the facts, and it writes a typical news article.

Supposedly, it will only be available via an API, so whomever uses it, won't have any (C)ontrol over there project. Maybe it's just a giant proof-of-concept.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
I have seen samples of both creative (fiction/poetry) and informative writing with different inputs. The quality is chilling. I see no reason why it would have an inability to produce any of the material you have mentioned. The system requires an input of training data to output what you want. It pulls on all of its 'contextual' knowledge. It's main proven function is rewriting text. There are plenty of examples in which it can generate html/css froma visual description of how a website should look.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Let's give it a try and see what we get :)

@Kid posted a business idea generator in the general off-topic thread, powered by GP-3.

Skimming its ideas, I personally found a lot of them lackluster, but the implementation is probably more responsible for that than the AI. For example, users of the site are told to downvote anything that's "already been done." That might sound like it would promote novelty, but I think it just discourages the AI from pursuing good ideas... you know, the things that actually worked in a real market.

Anyway, feed it half a novel and see what happens ;) I've made a note to try it out (probably with non-fiction and/or elearning material) and see what I get.

G

Guest1413tpa

Possibilities are endless. The demo on their site of it completing code blew my mind. Debating using it with my business some how.

First I have to learn how to interact with and get access to it...

Let's give it a try and see what we get :)

@Kid posted a business idea generator in the general off-topic thread, powered by GP-3.

Skimming its ideas, I personally found a lot of them lackluster, but the implementation is probably more responsible for that than the AI. For example, users of the site are told to downvote anything that's "already been done." That might sound like it would promote novelty, but I think it just discourages the AI from pursuing good ideas... you know, the things that actually worked in a real market.

Anyway, feed it half a novel and see what happens ;) I've made a note to try it out (probably with non-fiction and/or elearning material) and see what I get.

Ah yes, that is Pieter Levels, he created a website called NomadList that makes $500k+ a year, along with a few others. Really known in the indie maker communities I am In. Really cool guy.

I’ve also figured out how to get access to it without applying for beta (yet), in case anyone wants to know: How to to get an early access to GPT-3 and how to talk to it

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Welp, I added myself to the waiting list. Maybe they'll have GPT-3 read the summary of how I plan to use it, and send me a lovely email. :playful:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Possibilities are endless. The demo on their site of it completing code blew my mind. Debating using it with my business some how.

First I have to learn how to interact with and get access to it...

Ah yes, that is Pieter Levels, he created a website called NomadList that makes $500k+ a year, along with a few others. Really known in the indie maker communities I am In. Really cool guy.

I’ve also figured out how to get access to it without applying for beta (yet), in case anyone wants to know: How to to get an early access to GPT-3 and how to talk to it

Oh my gosh, the AI Dungeon thing is cool. Such a hackery way to use the AI too. I love it.

G

Guest1413tpa

Oh my gosh, the AI Dungeon thing is cool. Such a hackery way to use the AI too. I love it.
I'm full of hacker ways of doing things :p I'm curious to see what it spits out with my idea, if I could get something out of it like what Levelsio did, but with specific businesses to look at buying. Could be something interesting to test and help narrow down criteria as I search.

neofox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Feb 2, 2021
I have GPT-3 and it's actually really incredible. Far more incredible than I thought it would be. The only thing is that Google is going to come out with their version soon which is more advanced than GPT-3.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I have GPT-3 and it's actually really incredible. Far more incredible than I thought it would be. The only thing is that Google is going to come out with their version soon which is more advanced than GPT-3.

How did you get access to GPT-3?

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
it's a cool sign of things to come if anything.

imagine what AI will be around in 20 years from now? 30?

I've always thought that people who are young now, may live to 150+ with the scientific advances AI will bring/create

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
one thing will be that children won't be able to understand how ai works in 5-10 years from now.

the technology will seem like magic.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
one thing will be that children won't be able to understand how ai works in 5-10 years from now.

the technology will seem like magic.

I don't understand it now lol. But to be honest, even the Internet seems like magic to me. And electricity. And pretty much every technology.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I don't understand it now lol. But to be honest, even the Internet seems like magic to me. And electricity. And pretty much every technology.

This company copy.ai is a good example of how GPT-3 can be used. They use it to generate all kinds of marketing copy. Customers sign-up on a subscription basis and get access to the company's engine.

It's actually really impressive and they have a 7 day trial to check it out. I started playing around in it and it blew my mind - with just a few words to start with it can generate so many great ideas, and you can essentially "upvote" or ask the generator to focus on any output you like for it to use that as a basis for a new output.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This company copy.ai is a good example of how GPT-3 can be used. They use it to generate all kinds of marketing copy. Customers sign-up on a subscription basis and get access to the company's engine.

It's actually really impressive and they have a 7 day trial to check it out. I started playing around in it and it blew my mind - with just a few words to start with it can generate so many great ideas, and you can essentially "upvote" or ask the generator to focus on any output you like for it to use that as a basis for a new output.

I'm aware of how it's used but I don't understand how it's not plagiarism. As far as I understand it, it simply writes whatever it has in its "memory" using different words.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
In Ancient Greece the concept of plagiarism did not exist, it was considered a privilege for the "original" author to have his words reused.

Nobody ever has an original thought.

The very idea of copyright is an attachment to ego.

I -for one - would welcome our Robot overlords.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Since topic resurfaced i'll post what i was doing with those GTP-3 sites (while they lasted).

A bit different way of getting ideas from IdeasAi.net that i was doing
was to enter word "sucks" into prompt instead of suggested
prompt for ideas for problem's solution.
Had fun with that and few novel ideas.
Unfortunately demand was so high that site closed this option.

So i headed to dungeons - AI Dungeons, that is.
I created quick session with some virtual AI person
and asked her (it was female) what sucks.
After few back and forth, chat turned to some fast food restaurant,
and i just learned that people don't like
that restaurant bills separately for everything
including salt or ketchup.

So, now, if i were up to open fast food restaurant,
i know how to piss customers off.
:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics