The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GOOGLE+ First results are in

Marketing, social media, advertising

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Google+ will not topple Facebook or Twitter. It's just another social network people will find a reason to waste time on. Google+ is like a plain, simpler Facebook. But it will sure decrease the value of both which I think are way overvalued anyway.
The reason Google+ is growing at such a fast rate has a lot do with the fact that it's Google pushing it, Google has the largest user reach of any company I can think of with its gmail and their search engine service.

Google just wants more of your info so they can sell you more ads.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
to put it into perspective, it took FB roughly three years to get 25 million users.

Of course, this is google.

Anyway, I disagree with google being a much more simple facebook. There are some really good features. Some innovative (circles) and some improvements on basic features (notifications).

Disclaimer: I am by no means a social site guy. It is a time waster like anything else (though I do think it can be monetized and can help build a brand).

cfort

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 8, 2010
CT the land of the RiChEs
I am looking at:

Stocks: UAM, BCS, KAI, AIG, TRV, ININ, because they are undervalued and going to hit big.

BONDS: WTIBX a strong bond fund and pimco bond funds.

MUTUAL funds: I hate mutual funds.

ETF's: PTY strong pay out of dividends.

But as for GOOGLE, it is make or break... look at BAIDU and competition from Microsoft and Cisco in the future!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
They've also found that individuals spend far less time on Google+ than on Facebook. Lots of users spending less and less time isn't the way to go. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Google+ will not topple Facebook or Twitter. It's just another social network people will find a reason to waste time on. Google+ is like a plain, simpler Facebook. But it will sure decrease the value of both which I think are way overvalued anyway.
The reason Google+ is growing at such a fast rate has a lot do with the fact that it's Google pushing it, Google has the largest user reach of any company I can think of with its gmail and their search engine service.

How is 'plain, and simpler' a bad thing? If anything FB is waaaay to cluttered now, trying to give way to much info to keep you coming back. Which turns into noise

Also it has less to do with google being behind it than you try to give it credit for. Ever heard of Buzz, or Wave?

Google just wants more of your info so they can sell you more ads.

Well, yes, that is what any "free" company does. To paraphrase someone (ha), If you're not paying for a product, you are the product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
It is a time waster like anything else (though I do think it can be monetized and can help build a brand).

This is a big problem with social sites. The average amount of time that I spend on a site like Facebook (when not marketing is probably 2 minutes). And that time is spent doing something stupid. And that is why I am trying to make a push for a productive orientation to social media.

I know some here talked about G's ability to conquer in the social realm, here is a look at the results so far-

From the perspective of someone who is building a social network and intensively studying the platforms, needs, and issues:

Google Failed in Some Areas and They Also Succeed in Some Areas. The bigger question is whether or not they will maintain an engaged user base.

When I first looked at Google+, I remember thinking, "What the hell is this shit!" It looked like a knock off of FB. They attempted to use a minimal theme, like FB. But they really screwed it up. It was too cluttered and boring. And now look, they have a new design which is much cooler than before.

People can compare FB and Google+ all they want. When it comes down to it, both are social networks that accomplish the same basic shit. Google+ will be fun for awhile, but the novelty may wear off. That is when we will know if Google+ will be around to stay. I could care less about Google+..I'm a member of too many social networks as it is.

Yea they did do some cool things with different features, but I think that they could have done a much better job. Circles seem cool, but in the end it's just another feature to add to the list. I am in the camp that features in themselves don't really sell people on ideas in the long run. I think it's more important to make users identify with the company & this is where Google+ really confuses me. I can't identify with them. I have no idea why they exist on a personal level. I get what they are doing, but I dont get why they exist. And that is really what is keeping me away. I 'GET' Facebook. I can personally relate to FB. I can even relate to mySpace more than Google+. So I think that is a major issue. But then again, they still are getting a lot of users. But can they keep them?

This is more of a personal issue - Google+ really had a unique opportunity to change social media or create something different. They have so many cool tools and so on. But in the end they created just another social website. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally am disappointed. But I don't think that this will determine whether they are successful. And they are still in Beta ( i think) so who knows.

A Final Point - How do people view Google? I view Google as a search engine. When I look at Google+ I can't get that idea of "Search" out of my head. Same with Gmail - I view that as an email client. I wonder what consumers think when they look at Google+? I don't really think social media. I think of a search engine.

Google+ might be growing at 25 million users per day, but how many users are active? How many filled out their profile? I am a member and I have not taken any action on Google+. It's real easy to join and even easier to never use. And yea Growth rate is important. But there is a more important factor to follow: Will they keep their users? And only time will tell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.