The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good motivational book to help improve your life

For any book discussion

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
I don't have one to suggest, that's what I'm LOOKING for. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been "stuck in a rut" lately, dealing with depression, laziness, and just generally putting off almost EVERYTHING in my life... important things too (school, work) and including my online projects. Is there a good book, maybe a "lifestyle coach" type of book that's inspiring, motivating, helps you realize your goals and helps you come up with ways to achieve them type of book? Thanks!

(besides TMF ) Which maybe I should give another read :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I don't think a book will help someone like yourself

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You need a kick up the a$$? Give your friend $100 and tell him if you haven't done a specific thing by a certain time he gets to keep the money.

I suggest you listen to think and grow rich on youtube, 10 hours of motivation for you.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
It's your decision to sit there and pity yourself because you're lazy. If you wanted to succeed you'd get off your a$$ and do something. Reading a book will do nothing but release a few endorphins and then you'll be back to sitting around doing nothing.

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hi Dreamer,
Maybe your name says it all? too much dreaming and no action taken to get anywhere near your dreams (just kidding)
I do agree that a book cannot help you to take action, but can like TMF did for me empower you to take action.
You know, I've felt like you for over 30 years, I have read approximately 50 motivational or self help books, I cannot tell you whether or not subconsciously they have helped, but I cannot recall most of any of them.
Even though I am currently still on the slowlane path I have started to take action.
I woke up one morning and thought" I am 41 years old, I started working when I was 15, that's 26 years of working. And what do I have to show for it? I have a $6000 dollar car, I rent an old 2 bedroom unit , and I have $20,000 of dumb debt that takes most of my income to pay."

So I did some soul searching and I mean deeply.
Yes I have had bad luck, yes I have had tragedy but where I am now and where I will be in the future all comes down to this:

ME!

I made the choices I made and I really believe that is it..the choices we make and we need to be brutally honest with ourselves.
No-one is going to do it for you, not MJ not your parents not the government and not God.

So suck it up get all the crying out of the way and GET SHIT DONE.

Best of luck my friend.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
tony robbins, awaken the giant within really helped. It's a thick book, so you'll be in mental masturbation for days :)

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've been reading/doing a book called Navy SEAL Training - Self Confidence by David Rutherford. I'm reading it for a different purpose (I'm running my first race in Nov and needed motivation/confidence because I've never ran before) but it's a great book that really gives you a good kick in the a$$ when you need it.

I think it was like $9 on Kindle.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved.

:meh:

tony robbins, awaken the giant within really helped. It's a thick book, so you'll be in mental masturbation for days

Ha Ha, I was going to suggest that as well... weeks of feel good dabbling in neurological processes.

It's your decision to sit there and pity yourself because you're lazy. If you wanted to succeed you'd get off your a$$ and do something. Reading a book will do nothing but release a few endorphins and then you'll be back to sitting around doing nothing.

Man, I thought I was harsh.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
President Theodore Roosevelt once claimed;

Get action! Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action!

freelife2014

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 25, 2014
A good book sometimes can help you a lot. To deal with depression, you should rely on yourself mainly somethines. re-look at your life again. Hope you go out of depression and have a happy life!:)

G

GuestUser113

I don't think a book will help someone like yourself

lol

Qp4iy.gif

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Hi @dreamer.

Having read your profile, I don't think you're lazy.

I suspect you are just someone who wasn't raised around anyone who was particularly successful or entrepreneurial, and don't know anyone who is, probably apart from your bosses -who have become successful (or appear so) by following the conventional, well-mapped medical route.

Me, I am literally twice your age, and I've only started to slowly "get it" over the last few years - I never had any role models, was told that I should go to university, I assumed that because I was bright I'd climb a career ladder and find success and satisfaction that way.

Somehow I was completely clueless, didn't start to realise what path I really needed to follow until after many, many years. Business owners were somehow a different species, it didn't even occur to me that I could get from who I was to someone like that. Now I'm definitely on the path to becoming someone like that, though not so far down it yet.

I remember reading articles about people who'd started businesses whilst at University, and again, I could not understand what magic had made them able to do that. No clue. "Take Action"? What action to take and how?

Think and Grow Rich is a great book, but I tried to read it years ago and found it completely obscure - this year I re-read it and loved it, and I can see how influential his ideas have been to many of today's writers in the genre. It was written in 1937 and is harder to read than something written more recently. Try it, but perhaps re-read it after you've read some other things.

Do you have access to a good public library? Buying books gets expensive.

If I read you right and you're a bit like I've been, these 3 books may help a little to broaden your mindset, be the early part of a map you make for yourself.

I am not recommending them as anything like a complete solution, I'd prefer if you bought them cheaply or borrowed them from the library, but they're what came to mind when I read your profile information
Obviously there may be better books out there but these I have read:

Talane Miedaner - Coach Yourself to Success.

http://www.amazon.com/Coach-Yourself-Success-Personal-Reaching/dp/0809225379/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411592416&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=ane miedaner

Susan Jeffers - Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway (Absolute classic, at least to my generation and particularly women)

http://www.amazon.com/Feel-Fear-Do-Anyway/dp/0345487427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411592897&sr=8-1&keywords=susan jeffers feel the fear

Chris Guillebeau - The $100 Start Up (Books like this are good for getting your mind working in the right sort of way, and it's easy to read).

http://www.amazon.com/100-Startup-Reinvent-Living-Create/dp/0307951529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411593051&sr=8-1&keywords=the $100 startup

By the way, who gave you MJ's book? I hope it's someone who has applied it in their own life...is it someone who hang out with and can talk to?

PM me if you like, I am not a thought leader and don't have much to advise, but I don't bite.

Clare

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You will need this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADDTAA0/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 to understand your mind and your beliefs and why you seem to operate in a faulty way. I'm 25% through it and so far so good, well worth the money.
It is not another "feel-good" book, but actually practical.
Once you understand how your thoughts > emotions > action affect you, you will see things from a different perspective and improve.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
It was written in 1937 and is harder to read than something written more recently.

The have a revised one for the 21st Century! With updated words and things, such as email/ internet, etc. which wasn't out back then!

I recommend

The Millionaire Fastlane , and IMMEDIATELY go in to reading the Miracle Morning. Then, follow it up with this video:

I know this is not exactly what type of books you asked for, but I think if you can get this information then it will have an impact on you. Nothing I have ever read, to include the Holy Bible has made more LOGICAL sense to me than these two books. I don't know if that is good or bad, or what, but these 2 books have changed my life for the better overall- and its not about money. Its about being a healthy and happy person all around, in every aspect of life. These books impact your mental and physical self. Because once you start developing your "business" mindset, you will instinctively want and start to develop your fitness, health, and diet. This stuff all goes hand in hand, and that might help you with your depression.

I feel these two books should be REQUIRED reading for all High School seniors.

@MJ DeMarco in your next book, if you dedicate a chapter to how young people should make it a point to learn about credit and how to protect it and leverage it WHILE YOUNG, and how incredibly and extremely important it is to keep it in good standing for your whole life and not ruin it like majority of college and young adults do your new book will be worth the price just for access to that one chapter. I think this part is very important to life and entrepreneurship. My credit score is a 761 right now. But man, I have had bad credit for most of my life. Once I learned the hard way I took action and corrected that.

(Sorry for the slight derail)

geekboy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 8, 2013
Cheshire, UK

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
IMMEDIATELY go in to reading the Miracle Morning

YES!!! Many people on this forum have read and use the habits outlined in this book. An EXCELLENT set of practices that I wish I'd had recommended to me to years ago. It will give you space in your life for the self-development you'll need to do.

The have a revised one for the 21st Century! With updated words and things, such as email/ internet, etc. which wasn't out back then!

Wow, I had no idea...this one?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/think-and-grow-rich-napoleon-hill/1100008138?ean=2940012398895

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Hey @dreamer,

I have been where you are, and still struggle with ups and downs just like everybody else here.

I think it is bullshit that people get in your face when you are just trying to get a grip on things. I come from a background that is a world away from the fastlane, and when I first read the book it shook me up pretty good.

Anyways, judging by your post mentioning school my guess is you are pretty young. It's not going to be one book that helps you, it's going to be many - and putting that knowledge to work.

You have to use the information to produce, or it will only add to your stress levels because the more you learn, the more you will know in your heart you want to be doing but aren't.

Ignore the people that get all high and mighty when you ask things like this. They either have been fortunate enough to not have been where you are now, or they are arrogant enough to pretend they have never been there.

I just finished a book called The Architect by J N Gibaud, which was really good and may be more of what you are looking for. Another FANTASTIC book is Thou Shall Prosper by Daniel Lapin - this one is truly on par with TMF in my opinion, and both are very complimentary.

One thing to keep in mind is never forget that this is a process my friend. You will never find that "one book", or mentor, or anything that will just be a silver bullet to all of life's problems.

It is work, everyday - no giving up. It is feeling those pains, and finding solutions. Moving forward. Fighting. Every day.

This is what creates the satisfaction you are looking for.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
@dreamer what about podcasts? You can listen to them wilst riding the bus, walking, doing household chores.

My starter suggestions:

halelrod.com - Self Development

smartpassiveincome.com

entrepreneuronfire.com/ - uses the same interview script repeatedly to interview many business owners and entrepreneurs, and something you might find helpful, especially the "$500, 7 Days, what would you do" section.

Plenty more like this out there.

custardcat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 25, 2014
Awaken the giant within,Tony robbins.
most exciting book I have read,terrific results.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Start with Release Your Brakes by James Newman it's definitely on my top 3 - 5 books I read and I read quite a few books

need2learn14

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Feb 18, 2014
A book that really helped in all aspects of my life and really changed my thinking was THE PRACTICING MIND by Thomas Sterner.

It really took me from being product driven to process driven in life. I really struggled with this concept and its something MJ talks about a lot it seems.

I am total newbie to buisness and initially struggled with the concept of not doing what you love and the daunting task of the whole process . This book helped with this. It allowed me to understand by being present and process driven I can be ok know matter what Im doing.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
The War of Art. I'm sure a lot of people here will agree. Gets me to do things even when I don't want to. Because these things are what I do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.