The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GoDaddy or GoHome

Marketing, social media, advertising

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
We all have seen the commercials, but does anyone have any experiance or nightmares with GoDaddy and their "marketing strategy"?

Is it worth it or are you better off making your own site?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I guess it depends what need you are trying to fill.

I know one person who started with a GD ecommerce site... not sure if they are still on it. Shopify is around nowadays, tho.

Not too fond of GD and their upsell.you.to.death checkout gauntlet.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I guess it depends what need you are trying to fill.

I know one person who started with a GD ecommerce site... not sure if they are still on it. Shopify is around nowadays, tho.

Not too fond of GD and their upsell.you.to.death checkout gauntlet.
I was just curious as to GD or any other site builder that offered marketing as well. Sounds like GD defiantly is not my cup of tea. Cutting my teeth, I figured experienced help would be best. Paying for it sucks, but it could pay for itself while I refine my own programs and skills.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
They may be absolutely great at other people's SEO. However, one might argue that they don't have their google search term Godaddy SEO services wrapped up to advantage, when negative articles are easy to find in the search results.

------

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/three-seo-services-you-shouldnt-waste-your-money-ariana-cruz

http://www.searchrank.com/godaddy-seo-services/

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
My experience with GoDaddy has been atrocious and so have many others. They've been busted doing shady things and the way they host websites is proprietary, confusing and unnecessarily complex and annoying.

I've been with a great host since 2002 and I always buy my domains from www.NameCheap.com. Stay away from blue host and hostgator as well. They used to have a decent reputation but that has since been eroded by many complaints of websites going off line for hours and sometimes days at a time. They were bought by a major conglomerate and lost quality. I've never dealth with blue or gator but I've had to support people who did and they can be a nightmare.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
My experience with GoDaddy has been atrocious and so have many others. They've been busted doing shady things and the way they host websites is proprietary, confusing and unnecessarily complex and annoying.

I've been with a great host since 2002 and I always buy my domains from www.NameCheap.com. Stay away from blue host and hostgator as well. They used to have a decent reputation but that has since been eroded by many complaints of websites going off line for hours and sometimes days at a time. They were bought by a major conglomerate and lost quality. I've never dealth with blue or gator but I've had to support people who did and they can be a nightmare.
Used GoDaddy ONCE for hosting. Hated it. They've been my go to for domains for a while now, though. One thing I've noticed with them is they do a "check-in" call to see if you have any questions or need help. Thought that was pretty cool. Had a chat with their reps on the phone, nice folks.

Anyway, I've been using BlueHost for hosting. And, yeah, you're right--they suck, big time. They leave me alone, which is perfect, but it gets frustrating when your website is down for hours, every other week. Granted, I'm not running some high-traffic platform, but still...

Any ideas on a good company for hosting? My renewal is coming up and I'm probably parting ways with them.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Check the one I linked to in my post. I've been with them since 2002 and with a 99.99% uptime which means that sometimes years go past with out any problems - totally silent, others years they might have a down for a few minutes. For example, Cyclone Sandy threw two bolts of lightning directly at their data centre - located in Milwaukee in one night.

They have full cPanel/wordpress/catch all emails...etc and are cheap as chips. They don't have an affiliate programme so that's just a straight link - no affiliate codes. For a basic single site it's about $3.95 per month but I use their reseller account for $20 and can host all my domains on the same account and they have a 24/7 live chat support centre. But they're rock solid - I've got no time or patience with server down time and the blue alligators have a well known reputation for failing at an unacceptable rate. At least...anecdotally speaking.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
We all have seen the commercials, but does anyone have any experiance or nightmares with GoDaddy and their "marketing strategy"?

Is it worth it or are you better off making your own site?
Just re-reading your original post and are you referring to hosting with GD or using their marketing services only? You mentioned both "marketing" and "making". If you're talking about only their marketing service then I have no input but I'm not a fan of their hosting and name registering services.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
Just re-reading your original post and are you referring to hosting with GD or using their marketing services only? You mentioned both "marketing" and "making". If you're talking about only their marketing service then I have no input but I'm not a fan of their hosting and name registering services.
Thank you @V8Bill ! I was asking about both.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Check the one I linked to in my post. I've been with them since 2002 and with a 99.99% uptime which means that sometimes years go past with out any problems - totally silent, others years they might have a down for a few minutes. For example, Cyclone Sandy threw two bolts of lightning directly at their data centre - located in Milwaukee in one night.

They have full cPanel/wordpress/catch all emails...etc and are cheap as chips. They don't have an affiliate programme so that's just a straight link - no affiliate codes. For a basic single site it's about $3.95 per month but I use their reseller account for $20 and can host all my domains on the same account and they have a 24/7 live chat support centre. But they're rock solid - I've got no time or patience with server down time and the blue alligators have a well known reputation for failing at an unacceptable rate. At least...anecdotally speaking.
Thanks for that. Completely missed the link in your other post LOL. Sounds pretty good, I'll check 'em out. Any idea what their server speeds are like? I've noticed BlueHost is also pretty damn slow at times

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
Interesting read. I use GD for all domains. It's easy and cheap. Don't use their web-builder product. Make yourself learn Wordpress. It's a much more stable and reliable platform and will be better for you in the long run. From a seo perspective, get yoast. It's quick easy and works. As far as hosting, I know a lot of people have said Host Gator are crap but I have nothing but good to say about them. The only thing I don't like is their new commercial bent, but hey they are a business.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Thanks for that. Completely missed the link in your other post LOL. Sounds pretty good, I'll check 'em out. Any idea what their server speeds are like? I've noticed BlueHost is also pretty damn slow at times
Speeds seem ok - haven't noticed any slowness to speak of in the last 14 years. Certainly nothing like the complaints and outages I hear about your host or any of the other EIG companies (such as Hostgator, Bluehost, Resellerclub, Bigrock...etc) far too often on IM forums around the place.

HTH

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have been buying my domains from then for years. Hosted somewhere else.

What I have noticed this year is GD is renewing some add-ons that I supposedly OK'ed. They have always removed them after a phone call but I have to be on top of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.