The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Glad i found you, any publishing and marketing guru/pros?

Marketing, social media, advertising

rickmurray09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 2, 2020
United States
wanted to intro myself after reading fastlane millionaire and really agreeing with mj life points and way of thinking.
Would love some advice in a market I have never been in before till now. Publishing or self publishing and marketing.

I should start by explaining who I am, I been a franchise owner, business owner, and investor for my 39 years on this planet. I have been super fortunate enough to make a very good living at what I do. What I have been doing or least say what I was doing since I did sell my biz last Oct.

I ran a tool business and a snap on tool franchise for over a decade. Been a bucket list venture to write about running a successful tool truck business in this modern day Era. I have never seen a book written about this subject and thought if I can help out 1 guy getting into the biz. Then the hours and days, yes even months of work writing this book would be worth it.

Since this is the place for like minded ppl thought someone else has walked this path and had some advice on the road to getting it marketed and published in the best manner. I am currently with an editor now and coming up on a final product soon. So please if you have experience and success stories please share with me.

Humbly

Ex snappy man rick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rickmurray09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 2, 2020
United States
wanted to intro myself after reading fastlane millionaire and really agreeing with mj life points and way of thinking.
Would love some advice in a market I have never been in before till now. Publishing or self publishing and marketing.

I should start by explaining who I am, I been a franchise owner, business owner, and investor for my 39 years on this planet. I have been super fortunate enough to make a very good living at what I do. What I have been doing or least say what I was doing since I did sell my biz last Oct.

I ran a tool business and a snap on tool franchise for over a decade. Been a bucket list venture to write about running a successful tool truck business in this modern-day Era. I have never seen a book written about this subject and thought if I can help out 1 guy getting into the biz. Then the hours and days, yes even months of work writing this book would be worth it.

Since this is the place for like-minded ppl thought someone else has walked this path and had some advice on the road to getting it marketed and published in the best manner. I am currently with an editor now and coming up on a final product soon. So please if you have experience and success stories please share with me.

Humbly

Ex snappy man rick
No publish and marketers want any biz??

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
No publish and marketers want any biz??

What's so good about the snap on biz? Can you give us a idea of the value you see in it, the potential? Welcome to the forum, I recently introduced here as well.

Let me give an example of something I'd see value in, looking at an industry that is predisposed to having an advantage. Let's say in Tree Service it takes a two employee crew to hit $1500 in revenue each day whether that be pruning or removal. While let's say a pesticide spraying company can hit the same number in revenue with one employee.

While the margins can be different and if the offset is right enough, I can see spraying actually being able to pull off a better profit long-term just because of that factor. (This is a example still, not concrete or exactly true) Predisposed to having an advantage as a business yes? While there is LOTS and LOTS of other variables to include that can throw it off at any second, still something that interests me. Maybe consider that in your book or the information you give the forum. (Also there is a GOLD book publishing thread, I'll see if I can find it for you. Don't rely on others to respond to you if you want to make that book)

It's like in MJ's book, have you read it yet? The fastlane mathematically is predisposed to having that advantage compared to the slowlane! Looking forward to hearing your stories man!

If you read this thread it shows a lot of good potential for what your doing and ideas.

Last edited:

rickmurray09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 2, 2020
United States
What's so good about the snap on biz? Can you give us a idea of the value you see in it, the potential? Welcome to the forum, I recently introduced here as well.

Let me give an example of something I'd see value in, looking at an industry that is predisposed to having an advantage. Let's say in Tree Service it takes a two employee crew to hit $1500 in revenue each day whether that be pruning or removal. While let's say a pesticide spraying company can hit the same number in revenue with one employee.

While the margins can be different and if the offset is right enough, I can see spraying actually being able to pull off a better profit long-term just because of that factor. (This is a example still, not concrete or exactly true) Predisposed to having an advantage as a business yes? While there is LOTS and LOTS of other variables to include that can throw it off at any second, still something that interests me. Maybe consider that in your book or the information you give the forum. (Also there is a GOLD book publishing thread, I'll see if I can find it for you. Don't rely on others to respond to you if you want to make that book)

It's like in MJ's book, have you read it yet? The fastlane mathematically is predisposed to having that advantage compared to the slowlane! Looking forward to hearing your stories man!

If you read this thread it shows a lot of good potential for what your doing and ideas.

Thanks for the reply,

I would love to go into the details of the tool industry especially the mobile tool truck industry, without knowing if anyone ever even had the slightest interest in it. What it did for me was take a twenty-something kid and helped give me my capital base for the investments I own now. Captial that I would have never received in a 9-5 job. With over 1.2 million in sales a year per tool truck owned with a 32% gross net margin. I was happy but not content with the model. Which did bring me to ready MJ DeMarco after completing my own book on the subject matter. I read some of the threads before but would love the interaction of a like-minded person with maybe the same experiences or hell even a marketer firm/ publisher and work together on it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
same experiences or hell even a marketer firm/ publisher and work together on it.

Likely won't happen. As Mr. Scott alluded above, marketing is 90% on your shoulders. . . a publisher won't do the heavy lifting for you. Before writing a book (aside from the passion standpoint) you have to be able to reach an audience via some channel, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, YouTube videos, something.

I built this forum (and hence, my audience) prior to publishing my work.

Once you've built an audience, then the publishers start knocking on your door and becoming receptive to "working together".

It's kind of a "chicken and the egg" thing, or maybe "cart before horse" -- now publishers contact me when I've already built an audience of millions??

F*ck them, and F*ck that.

rickmurray09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 2, 2020
United States
I've been down the path of self-publishing, publishing with small publishers and publishing with large publishers.

The key to all three (especially for non-fiction) is the same these days -- build your audience first.

If you think that a large publisher is going to sign you because you have a great idea for a book -- or even a great book already written -- you're wrong. The big publishers are going to want to see that you can get at least 10,000 copies sold on your own, without their marketing for you. In return, they'll do a little bit of marketing and give you a tiny percentage of the profits.

Self publishing is better, as you get to keep all the profits, but you have to do all the marketing as well, and you don't have a brand behind you. A lot of self-published authors think that they can release a book, get a few friends to buy and review it, and then things will just snowball. Doesn't work that way. Unless you're constantly building an audience and promoting, the sales will stop.

I've actually had major success with a niche publisher (someone who has an audience) in my industry. They have the built in audience -- so I don't have to do nearly as much marketing and audience building -- and I get a much higher percentage of the royalties than I would with a large publisher.

Perhaps look for someone in your industry that already has a large audience (maybe they have a blog, a podcast, a big instagram following, etc) and offer to partner with them. You provide the book/content, they do the marketing/promotion. And then you agree to some split of the profits that make it worthwhile for both parties.
LOVE that though process and will reach out to some customers that have a following but as for franchise owners, not many or any at all have any real following. #1 time to run a tool truck and anything else outside of your family is impossible, #2 it is frowned upon in the franchise model from franchisors.
What is out there is are customers that make videos about the tools we sell and the industry. I will be reaching out to them. I really appreciate that insight because the book was written for them, on a how to get into the biz and what it is all about. That was the most ask question in my 10 years as a dealer. But could not find a book written about it. Again thanks for insights

rickmurray09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 2, 2020
United States
Likely won't happen. As Mr. Scott alluded above, marketing is 90% on your shoulders. . . a publisher won't do the heavy lifting for you. Before writing a book (aside from the passion standpoint) you have to be able to reach an audience via some channel, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, YouTube videos, something.

I built this forum (and hence, my audience) prior to publishing my work.

Once you've built an audience, then the publishers start knocking on your door and becoming receptive to "working together".

It's kind of a "chicken and the egg" thing, or maybe "cart before horse" -- now publishers contact me when I've already built an audience of millions??

F*ck them, and F*ck that.
wow the myth and legend himself, read your book and f*cking loved it and made me a disciple of yours. The work will be marketing and audience building. The last post about getting the customers that have a following like
View: https://youtu.be/KEhEBitAAvY
the snap on tool review. Those are my customers for this book. Guess more my concern is how do I start the google ads, FB ads. Since I myself do not have a following short of a couple thousand long term customers. Do I go out and make a youtube channel and grab those ppl and use the other influencers as an ad also. I guess I need more education on becoming an influencer (even thou not really into becoming one). Wanted to see what ideas or guidance people like yourself would push me in the right path quicker than my dumbass stumbling thru it.

The reason I wrote the book is to help ppl understand the industry and what it takes to make it. I got the question at least once a week for 10 years and after selling the franchise I thought what a great side project to help out anyone wanting to learn more about the ups and downs of that world. Did I want to become a full-time writer (no) did I want to become a youtube (no) probably cause I would SUCk at being either of them. What I was good at was running a business at having that grow from 300k in sales to over mil year after year. The reason for the exit was the limitations you speak about in your book with the franchise model. Lack of the CENTS commandments inside that franchise model. But it did give me capital for another venture and income-generating investments.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.