The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting the initial user base

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Hey,
I've been thinking about a possible website idea recently, and someting my mind keeps wandering back to is the Catch 22 - Without users, there is no draw card for other users to join, so how do you get the ball rolling so to speak?

Take Elance.com for example. They now have thousands of jobs offered everyday, as well as thousands of people taking those jobs.

What do you think the first steps for them to get the first 1000 jobs listed were?

Populate the site themselves taking ads from other sites?

Cold-call companies that might use the site and offer them it free for 6 months?

Wait for it to grow naturally, even when the site had 0 listings?

I know going to a site with 0 members, or 0 listings is off putting. Even going to a site with 50, 100, or 200 members is kind of dull.

So whats the best way to get that initial momentum? (Can we use Elance or similar as an example?)

Thanks,
Matt! :notworthy:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
So whats the best way to get that initial momentum? (Can we use Elance or similar as an example?)

Thanks,
Matt! :notworthy:

"Refer 10 friends and get $100. Refer 100 friends and get a trip to Bahamas"?

Get the first 5 people on board by using the founders own crowd of friends.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) FREE
2) Promotions / Incentives
3) Imported/Scraped/Public domain Ads

I built my site on imported, free ads. Once companies saw other companies (not knowing if they were free or paid) they started to join.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
1) FREE

I built my site on imported, free ads. Once companies saw other companies (not knowing if they were free or paid) they started to join.

welp... summed that up pretty much, haha.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
1) FREE

Perfect answer thanks. I'm also thinking imported/free ads are the best way to go.

So how did you do this. A script to crawl other sites, and re-publish them on your own site? At the moment im thinking an outsourced team (India - $3ph) would be best, so visit the mess of sites in this niche around the internet and consolidate it all in one place on mine.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Good question and this is something that has been on my mind lately as I near a public launch of my site.

In my case, I will have free membership, but I am planning on doing some type of promotion/drawing to get a solid member base going. I have a few ideas on the table, but will probably consult with my fellow members here to figure out the best, most efficient one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.