The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting kicked out of the house.

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
Got in a huge argument with my dad and he's kicking me out today. I lost my job and haven't finished college. I'm scared I have no where to go. Gotta start looking for place now. I only had a few jobs before and scared I won't find another. And without a degree these days, it's hard. Anyone have experiences with moving out on your own? Please share, it would help me out a lot. Much appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Yes at 19 not only did I move out, I had the pleasure of still paying my mom's rent, phone cable and everything..

So at 19 I was paying for two households...

So why don't you stop your whining and get out there and make something of yourself.

Many people have it worse off than you..

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
I was out at 18. Rented a room, disconnected the internet for a year, and worked part time while studying the rest of the time at University.

Not as hard as it sounds. :eusa_naughty:

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I've been out on my own since 18. It's tough at first - probably a lot of change from how you used to live. However, like Jonleehacker said, you need to focus on what you want to achieve, not how difficult it is.

You'll do great if you're willing to put in some hard work to get to your goals. Build a fastlane business. While you are working on that, apply for side jobs - anything from fast food to mowing yards. At this point, you're looking for cash to survive - there shouldn't be a job that's too 'low' for you. There are opportunities there if you look for them.

Just take it one day at a time, don't let yourself get overwhelmed, and do as much work as you can. You'll be fine. =)

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you everyone. I've been doing IT helpdesk and studying html, css, php for my fastlane business. Somehow I think moving out may just be the best thing to happen to me. It'll make me hungry to succeed!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I moved over 1000 miles away from home from pa to fla 2 weeks after I turned 18.

I started working full time by the time I was 16 and essentially supporting myself so I wasnt in the same position that you are in when I left. I had no drivers license and no car tho. (parents wouldnt sign the forms) I walked to work everyday to get the money to go! I can only say that you just need to do whatever you need to do to get by.

right now I would say that your only job is finding a job. in the mean time since the man is your father and not a landlord is there some way you can try to make ammends with him? that way you can try to get yourself some more timeto find a place to put your things and a job hopefully.

even if you can only get a few days, its time for you to get something done at least. even if you have to swallow your pride and apoligise or do something you dont want to do to appease him, do it...

I am sure he doesnt really want to see you on the street.

good luck!

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
No, I cannot make ammends with him. He's gone postal after my mom died of cancer. He kicked my older brother out a few years ago, but he already has a good career. I'm scared, but I have to go.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I am also sorry things havent gone well since her passing. I cant even begin to understand what your family is going thru.

maybe since your older brother has been through it he can help you in some way. that would be my next first step, talking with him, at the very least he can tell you what it was like for him.

what is the situation with your college? is it paid for? is it a place that you may be able to live on campus while you worked there?

just know that you have it in you to do whatever you want. you just have to figure it out a bit sooner is all.

A

Anon3587x

You'll be alright man.

You just need about 1,000$ a month to survive right now relatively well. Look on craigslist and see if you can rent a room from somebody for 400$ish /month depending on where you live.

Maybe some of your friends can help you out?

If you stress about something before it actually happens you stress more than necessary. Just take it one day at a time.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I moved out at 17 and moved 150mi away, but that was to go to university. My "job" was to do well in school, plus I got programming jobs in the summers. (This was in 1975-1979, when we programmed with stone knives and bearskins. :))

You already have more skills than I had at 17. You'll be OK. Buck up and go do it.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
Do you have friends? Ask if you can crash on their couch for a few weeks while you look for a job. Offer to keep their place clean for them in return.

Do you have a resume? If so great! If not, get one together. Then go on craigslist and look for full-time jobs in ANYTHING. Don't be picky. E-mail your resume. Try to send 3-5 resumes a day.

Once you start getting a steady paycheck, try to find a room for $400 or less (if possible). Don't be picky about this either.

Work 8 hours a day, spend the other 8 hours working on your fastlane plan, spend the remaining 8 hours sleeping. Be VERY frugal with your money for a while, only buying what you need and not what you want.

There you go. I'm about to go through a similar change. I'm graduating in December and I'm going to need to find a full-time in order to keep paying my rent right now and provide for my food/essentials since my parents can't afford to keep paying my rent. And they shouldn't have to, I'm more than capable of taking care of myself and you are too! Good luck!

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
The question is how old are you? From your opening post, you sound about the same age as me. In that case, I think you shouldn't have been living with you dad to begin with unless you were paying rent.

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
I'm 32 and you're right...I shouldn't be still living with him, but I was taking care of his house and after my mom passed, he sold his other house and moved in with me. And I am paying rent!

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
lol at the posts of finding a room at $400....I currently rent a 3 bed 1 bath house for $275....no, it is not a craphole...newly renovated kitchen and bath actually. Stay with friends or your brother if you have to. Live cheap, cheap, cheap! Now is the time to be eating ramen and "bootstrapping" your life in a sense, just like you would a business if you had no funding. I'm not 100% sure, but I assume you don't have a wife or kids. You are in a good position to get your life in order. You can do it! :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
yeah 32? thats alot older then I thought also! from your post I figured you were under 20 lol.

You are lucky he has let you stay as long as he has. Not many people your age have that option. I would literally have to be homeless before my mom would let me stay there and I have 2 kids, if I didnt have them she wouldnt let me back ever at all lol.

theres pleanty of jobs you should be able to get to be able to afford a room somewhere.

CyrusVirus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 7, 2011
Doesn't matter what age you are. As long as you do something about it, it's never too late.

Speaking from personal experience, that will be the best damned thing that will have ever happened to you ;)

So suck it up, it's fun out there. More opportunities for you to be creative, the world is now your playground.

Good luck mate!

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
32?

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
Ok at age 32, you should celebrate and party like no tomorrow about moving away from your dad. How you spent 32 years of life living under your dad's roof is beyond me, but your are definitely long overdue when it comes to moving out from the nest.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I dont think there is any reason to be rude here guys. geeze grow up just a little please.

he gets it hes 32. thats why I am sure he didnt put it in his original post.

his family has gone thru alot and none of you have walked in his shoes so shut it already.(or at least have some tact and/or something other to say then obnoxious laughter)

D

DeletedUser394

I dont think there is any reason to be rude here guys. geeze grow up just a little please.

he gets it hes 32. thats why I am sure he didnt put it in his original post.

his family has gone thru alot and none of you have walked in his shoes so shut it already.(or at least have some tact and/or something other to say then obnoxious laughter)

If OP is 32 I'm pretty sure he can handle it.

His family has gone through alot? So, who hasn't, everyone has. Expect no sympathy and accept none at the same time. He's posting on an open forum where anyone can say anything they like.

I laughed/was stunned when I read that he was 32 (assumed he was 18-20), but who cares. A 32 year old male in good health and sound mind can easily get a job. It isn't rocket science.

Life is hard, sh*t happens. It's all about how many times you get back up and keep moving forward. (May have quoted Rocky right there).

Any who this reminds me of how arguing over the internet is a complete waste of time. Back to living life and making $$$. OP can do the same.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
its not about wether he can handle it or not.

its about the fact that he asked for some advice and guidence here.

this is a community of people who are supposed to be supportive not act like 5th graders. (idk maybe I have gotten that part wrong with all this petty insulting crap I have been seeing)

I get that people can post whatever they want but they doesnt mean they should! and by that theroy I have every right to post what I think of their posts.

I feel as tho things would be more productive and nicer around here in general if people used some thought and tact before they posted.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
College is NOT required, pick a niche that you like and become an expert by reading a bunch of books, internet and trade journals. Prove yourself with your knowledge. Then and only then will you have something valuable to offer both a higher paying employer (if you like being someones bitch) or to potential customers as a business owner. This is not get rich easy, this is get rich quick with a lot of devotion and perseverance.

Good luck to you.

On another note. Go make up with your dad. I lost my dad when I was 19 to cancer.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
this is a community of people who are supposed to be supportive not act like 5th graders. (idk maybe I have gotten that part wrong with all this petty insulting crap I have been seeing)

I don't think this is a place to be supportive. It is not always good thing to mindlessly encourage a certain behavior. Constantly supporting decisions should not be what this place is about. This place is about people striving to be their best, and the 'nice' thing to say isn't always the best thing.

That said, perhaps peoples way of phrasing this disproval wasn't the most appropriate way to say it, but it had to be said. 32 is long past due to still be living with your parents barring some catastrophe - especially when you're upset when you are actually kicked out.

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
I never moved out because I was taking care of my dad's house here in California. He was living in Las Vegas with my mom until she passed away and he sold that house in Vegas and moved in with me. I'm not looking for sympathy. Sympathy is not going to help me survive out there. I'm looking for tips/advice and experiences with going on your own. And my dad is the only family I have left, so when I leave in about 2 weeks, I'll have nobody and that's kind of scary. I'm just afraid that I might run out of money and have nowhere to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.