The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting ghosted by clients

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
Hi all,

So in my business I cold-mail (first class mail) and have people sign an initial contract, in which they agree to pay me a percentage of the amount of they are paid, once they are paid, and that they will do what's required to get paid. But people keep ending all contact and I'm not sure why. I've called, sent letters, emailed, and still am unable to get any kind of reply.

For example: I send a letter to Bob saying that I can get him paid on some money that is owed to him, if he agrees to send me 1% once he has the money. No risk to them if for any reason things don't go to plan. He signs the contract saying that is okay. I send him what he needs to get paid (just a few signatures on a page), then NOTHING. He doesn't try and get the money himself (since the forms say exactly where to go), they simply do nothing! I'll call and email them a few days apart, after about 10 days of no response I'll send a letter in the mail, but I still won't get a response or call back or email back or anything.

I always answer my phone right away so I know I'm not missing calls, and I only manually type out emails to people, so it's unlikely I'm getting filtered for spam or being blocked. I leave clear voicemails so I know people know who I am and where to reach me at.

This is happening with around ~70% of people who sign my initial service offering. Either people complete everything & return it to me right away and get paid, no problems, or they don't do anything. It's very frustrating — they are literally a signature away from getting paid on money that is owed to them (and me getting paid on the commission). It's happened with multiple people so I'm thinking it's something I'm doing wrong.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas why this is happening, or things I can be doing better to get people to honor their word or at least reply to me with whatever their hesitation is?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Hi all,

So in my business I cold-mail (first class mail) and have people sign an initial contract, in which they agree to pay me a percentage of the amount of they are paid, once they are paid, and that they will do what's required to get paid. But people keep ending all contact and I'm not sure why. I've called, sent letters, emailed, and still am unable to get any kind of reply.

For example: I send a letter to Bob saying that I can get him paid on some money that is owed to him, if he agrees to send me 1% once he has the money. No risk to them if for any reason things don't go to plan. He signs the contract saying that is okay. I send him what he needs to get paid (just a few signatures on a page), then NOTHING. He doesn't try and get the money himself (since the forms say exactly where to go), they simply do nothing! I'll call and email them a few days apart, after about 10 days of no response I'll send a letter in the mail, but I still won't get a response or call back or email back or anything.

I always answer my phone right away so I know I'm not missing calls, and I only manually type out emails to people, so it's unlikely I'm getting filtered for spam or being blocked. I leave clear voicemails so I know people know who I am and where to reach me at.

This is happening with around ~70% of people who sign my initial service offering. Either people complete everything & return it to me right away and get paid, no problems, or they don't do anything. It's very frustrating — they are literally a signature away from getting paid on money that is owed to them (and me getting paid on the commission). It's happened with multiple people so I'm thinking it's something I'm doing wrong.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas why this is happening, or things I can be doing better to get people to honor their word or at least reply to me with whatever their hesitation is?
Can you use Docusign to streamline and cut out steps for your clients?

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
Can you use Docusign to streamline and cut out steps for your clients?
Unfortunately no, it's required that the notarized paper documents be submitted. I have however made the documents as simple as is possible, so easy that a 5 year old could complete them... "Sign HERE & HERE, then RETURN to me in the stamped envelope"

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Unfortunately no, it's required that the notarized paper documents be submitted. I have however made the documents as simple as is possible, so easy that a 5 year old could complete them... "Sign HERE & HERE, then RETURN to me in the stamped envelope"
Is there enough margin on your end to have them hand delivered and signed on the spot?

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
Is there enough margin on your end to have them hand delivered and signed on the spot?
I have met up with people living near me & completed the forms on the spot. Most are in other states though, all across the U.S. Not enough margin for me to go to them

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I can tell you why but I will also have to expose what you are doing..... is that ok?

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
If it is what I think it is, collecting money upfront is not legal.
PM me with what you think
It's legal to collect upfront, but not many people are willing to do it, since most already are suspicious... something along the lines of "...letter in the mail saying you have money owed to you? yeah right..."

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
I think the problem might be that I'm not having enough rapport with the client before sending them the forms, they are in the mindset that I'm just a big corporation or don't care about them personally... maybe I will talk with them more, explain the process and see if I don't get better return rates.
I should be these people's best friends, no one else is trying to get money into their pocket for such little effort (meaning the forms are very simple) like I am.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yay! I was right on what zzz is doing. But I'm not going to say what it is. :bullseye:

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
Update I guess since it's been over 6 months since last post here!
I'm set to make about $50-60k gross this year. Buying a used toyota camry near the end of July. My insurance is going to be expensive for any significant amount of coverage. Moving out of my parent's house sometime in around ~4 months near my 20th birthday

Seems like some people are scared to death of answering the phone and saying "Hello" when I call them. Probably thinking it's another robocall or whatever

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Update I guess since it's been over 6 months since last post here!
I'm set to make about $50-60k gross this year. Buying a used toyota camry near the end of July. My insurance is going to be expensive for any significant amount of coverage. Moving out of my parent's house sometime in around ~4 months near my 20th birthday

Seems like some people are scared to death of answering the phone and saying "Hello" when I call them. Probably thinking it's another robocall or whatever

Where you able to close the gap on those who bailed on you?

ZZZ

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 3, 2019
USA
Where you able to close the gap on those who bailed on you?
I think it happens less now. Some people still stop responding, and after calling & leaving messages a few times & sending emails (if I have their email) I will send them a letter in the mail, after that I stop wasting time on them. Of course if any of them contact me (ever) in the future I'm happy to work with them.

tlssdenverco

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 28, 2020
texas

Before starting with the job better get things to legalize first everything should be put on papers. otherwise, do some research gather reviews or feedbacks from the previous employees. As for the clients ghosting, you chances to communicate with him is very rare.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.