The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Getting a kick out of the random positive reinforcement

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
When I joined the forum, I hadn't paid any attention to the "rep bank" score while I browsed as a lurker.

It's been fun to see score awards pop up for various activities. I wasn't looking to get followers, didn't even realize the forum had a Follow feature, but hey there's a follower and more rep points. I was just clicking to like posts that I saw add value with their helpful information and positive vibe, and hey, here's more rep points for being active with Likes. This is a fun little surprise that adds kind of a game element... I wonder what will happen next that's a positive little surprise? There might be a list of what the actions are that gain points, but I won't look for it... as River Song said to The Doctor, "Spoilers, dear!" :smile2:

Is there a way I could apply this to my work? I don't know if there's a way to add some kind of "here, have some points" surprise to things other than a forum. It would be interesting to find out!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MarcoSto

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 28, 2018
Germany
Hey hey,

what you are looking for are gamification frameworks. I read a book on gamification a while ago that is like a blueprint on how to add gamification to businesses.
For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business (Wehrbach & Hunter).

Its a short read and fun. But you have to be aware: Gamifying crap is like putting cream on dogshit. Doesnt make it better really and wont work.

Another interesting application for gamification was done by Jane McGonigal. She is an expert in games and gamification and treated her depression with a gamification framework. Just google her TED talk. She wrote two books on this, too.

Its not a direct answer to your question, but I think those are great resources so start with and figure out for yourself if and in how far gamification could work for your..work :)

bkillion

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 5, 2017
Rapid City SD
When I joined the forum, I hadn't paid any attention to the "rep bank" score while I browsed as a lurker.

It's been fun to see score awards pop up for various activities. I wasn't looking to get followers, didn't even realize the forum had a Follow feature, but hey there's a follower and more rep points. I was just clicking to like posts that I saw add value with their helpful information and positive vibe, and hey, here's more rep points for being active with Likes. This is a fun little surprise that adds kind of a game element... I wonder what will happen next that's a positive little surprise? There might be a list of what the actions are that gain points, but I won't look for it... as River Song said to The Doctor, "Spoilers, dear!" :smile2:

Is there a way I could apply this to my work? I don't know if there's a way to add some kind of "here, have some points" surprise to things other than a forum. It would be interesting to find out!
I recently "read" a book (audio book) to help me with the project I'm working on called "Actionable Gamification." I thought it was a very good book with content that can really help you gamify more than just an app (work, life, etc). It's more about designing based on human behavior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I've just concluded my program with Kyle. The incubator gave me what I wanted. Now, working on a...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Thanks for the detailed response. I see it similar, in the beginning, you have only a small...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
The day I can afford to pay 800 a month to have someone keep me accountable is the day I've won...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom