The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

General thoughts on the following article?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I know this might belong to the doom and gloom typical of mainstream media, but as a member of this said generation, I always felt that there is an air of truth to it. I know here in this forum, we are supposed to adapt to a growth mindset. But the context of the said situation also can't be ignored. I would also love to hear personal stories of you or someone you know that will be impacted and belongs to this group.

Millennials Don’t Stand a Chance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I know this might belong to the doom and gloom typical of mainstream media, but as a member of this said generation, I always felt that there is an air of truth to it. I know here in this forum, we are supposed to adapt to a growth mindset. But the context of the said situation also can't be ignored. I would also love to hear personal stories of you or someone you know that will be impacted and belongs to this group.

You can choose to be part of and identify with the "fictional" made up group of people called "millennials" or you can choose to be the powerful, individual and unique person that you are. You can choose to be victim or you can choose to be a victor. It's always your choice.
"Even if you choose to not make a choice you have still made a choice." Rush, Freewill.
I define who and what I am and I laugh at anyone who lumps billions of people into ONE group and then says,"They don't stand a chance". All the best.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Even if you choose to not make a choice you have still made a choice." Rush, Freewill.

Wow powerful words, never thought of it this way, so all things are choices, regardless then.

However, to think that the mass's choice have no impact on you, or your business, is also delusional. It will have massive impacts in the coming years, for good or for bad.

I am just wonder what kind of insights could this forum gather. What will be the impact of most of the people 'not making' a choice to stand up for themselves in the coming years?

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Even if you choose to not make a choice you have still made a choice." Rush, Freewill.

Wow powerful words, never thought of it this way, so all things are choices, regardless then.

However, to think that the mass's choice have no impact on you, or your business, is also delusional. It will have massive impacts in the coming years, for good or for bad.

I am just wonder what kind of insights could this forum gather. What will be the impact of most of the people 'not making' a choice to stand up for themselves in the coming years?
Think about all of the exterior environmental variables that currently affect you and add them up. They are minuscule compared to how much your internal environment affects your life. You are your own biggest enemy and you need to understand that in order to overcome yourself. No one has more influence on your life than you. I take 100% percent responsibility for my life and where I am because I am the captain of my ship. You have very little power to change your external environment but you have 100% power to change your internal environment. What "the masses" (remember the masses are comprised of a multitude of individuals) do is their problem. What you do in any environment will determine where you end up. If they all decide to jump of a cliff, you wont see me following them.

"It is the set of the sails, not the direction of the wind that determines which way we will go.
Jim Rohn"

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
What "the masses" (remember the masses are comprised of a multitude of individuals) do is their problem.

Until the fire comes and then it is your problem as well, this will happen eventually if this crisis drags on, our debt is ballooning right now and this will impact me and you with many ways unseen for now.

What you do in any environment will determine where you end up. If they all decide to jump of a cliff, you wont see me following them.

Sometime whether you following them or not is not a choice, look at how much power our government have during this lock down and how willingly people are following them. I know there are people who think its bullshit, and yet, do any of them have any ability to fight back? No, so while you might have the right mindset, it does not matter if others can force you to think one way or the other, or at least act one way or the other.

ho4848

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jul 8, 2019
World Citizen
If you start to take ownership of yourself, you are responsible for any success and failure. Once you have that in mind, you will feel empowered. You are the one who is in charge of everything that you can control, not the mass.

You can choose your way, or to react and blame the situation. It's all up to you.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
If you start to take ownership of yourself, you are responsible for any success and failure. Once you have that in mind, you will feel empowered. You are the one who is in charge of everything that you can control, not the mass.

You can choose your way, or to react and blame the situation. It's all up to you.

Sigh, you are going to see a very slow recovery then.

My point here isn't to argue how our attitude will be toward this crisis, I know the fastlane mindset. But none of us can also ignore what the choices of the masses are, as actions taken by the governments during this crisis evidently shown that first, they do not care about our liberty, second, people do not care about their liberty either. If you work in a well paid job or run your own small businesses, those attitudes of the masses will make an impact on you, and all of us should prepare accordingly.

Maybe I should made my words more clear, it just seems common sense that a generation of consumers with a defeatist attitude won't bound well for driven people who wants to run a business at all.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
What "the masses" (remember the masses are comprised of a multitude of individuals) do is their problem.

Until the fire comes and then it is your problem as well, this will happen eventually if this crisis drags on, our debt is ballooning right now and this will impact me and you with many ways unseen for now.

What you do in any environment will determine where you end up. If they all decide to jump of a cliff, you wont see me following them.

Sometime whether you following them or not is not a choice, look at how much power our government have during this lock down and how willingly people are following them. I know there are people who think its bullshit, and yet, do any of them have any ability to fight back? No, so while you might have the right mindset, it does not matter if others can force you to think one way or the other, or at least act one way or the other.
Believe it or not. I have set up my life in such a way that this current problem "the masses" are suffering from does not affect me very much. If this current situation had happened to me 10 years ago when I was dependent on a boss, a paycheck and trading my time for dollars I would have been totally screwed. I saw how vulnerable that made me and I decided to change it. I am no longer dependent on a boss (I am the boss), I write my own paycheck and I don't trade my time for dollars anymore. I deliver massive value to the market and the market delivers dollars to me.
How did this all happen? I grew! I read books like MJ's (KEY in my personal success thank you MJ) and I studied people who were already in the place I wanted to be in the future, then I followed their lead. Personal growth, becoming a person of value, believing in yourself and NEVER blaming anyone else for where you end up is key. Once you declare yourself a victim of ANYTHING you have surrendered your power to that thing and it owns YOU.
Your life is a long series of very small choices and they all add up in the end. Make better choices and your life gets better. They don't teach you that in school.
One more thing, only YOU define what success means to you. All the best.

ho4848

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jul 8, 2019
World Citizen
Sigh, you are going to see a very slow recovery then.

My point here isn't to argue how our attitude will be toward this crisis, I know the fastlane mindset. But none of us can also ignore what the choices of the masses are, as actions taken by the governments during this crisis evidently shown that first, they do not care about our liberty, second, people do not care about their liberty either. If you work in a well paid job or run your own small businesses, those attitudes of the masses will make an impact on you, and all of us should prepare accordingly.

Maybe I should made my words more clear, it just seems common sense that a generation of consumers with a defeatist attitude won't bound well for driven people who wants to run a business at all.

Most of the things you can't control, like other's opinions and external events. And There is always something you can control, it is your reaction to those events.

Yes, most of the business will shut down because the demand has gone down and customers no longer need it. However, there are always needs, the painful problems people are willing to pay money for. It is a great time to see which businesses are built on a solid foundation and deliver solid value.

Things have changed a lot in the last few months. Different people have different views, just list a few examples. I see great opportunities in job security, insurance etc.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin

It is time to change perspective and start delivering value.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Most of the things you can't control, like other's opinions and external events. And There is always something you can control, it is your reaction to those events.

Yes, most of the business will shut down because the demand has gone down and customers no longer need it. However, there are always needs, the painful problems people are willing to pay money for. It is a great time to see which businesses are built on a solid foundation and deliver solid value.

Things have changed a lot in the last few months. Different people have different views, just list a few examples. I see great opportunities in job security, insurance etc.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin

It is time to change perspective and start delivering value.

My experiences are that people are extremely hard to change, and eventually if you derive a new business model to them, in time it will look and operate exactly like the old business model. This is why startups can actually successfully taking on a big giant companies, but when the said startup starts to scale, it will eventually become just like the big giant company it tried to replace. Humans are extremely hard to change and this crisis will not be different.

What I predict is that the last recession killed a lot people's dreams, and not many people recovered within the first 5 years, and some of them are just setting up shop after 10 years. This one will be worse, lots of people who is on this forum, their business is going to change to reflect this. Mass consumers without the will to spend does not look good on anyone, regardless of your attitude to things. Plus the government is going to have pretty uncommon sense policies that is going to laid out in the next few months.

You can' tell me that your attitudes won't change when a business that you have been working on for years suddenly goes to shits because the masses forced a change whether it is their fault or not. If anything, this crisis shows that no one is invincible.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018

I am a millennial.

The 2008 recession hit me hard.

Despite having a college degree, it took me until I was over 30 before I made more than $20,000/year.

I just BARELY managed to buy a house in 2018. It's a 1-story, 912 square foot house with no basement. And that felt like a miracle to me. It's not paid off yet.

Is the downturn going to hit me hard?

Well, so far, I'm still employed.

Here's how I'm thinking about it, both in the micro sense (Me and my individual life and choices) and the macro sense (my whole generation, the masses).

Micro: Me and my choices:

First off, I'm NEVER going to settle for the kind of thinking that says, "I don't stand a chance." The story we tell ourself in our heads is often what will play out in real life. Not gonna let that self-fulfilling prophecy have any space in my thinking.

Second, I am completely different from most millennials. My thinking is different. My choices have been different. My approach to situations is different. I'm a problem solver, not a handout-taker.

Right now, while I'm still employed, I'm also looking around to see where I'm headed if this gig fizzles out. I'm looking for the biggest problem I can solve that will serve the most people. I'm looking for how my skill sets match up against the current circumstances. Where do the people with money need help? How can I provide value there?

Macro: The Masses
The masses are in a predicament. There's no denying it.

This situation merely accelerated the day of reckoning.

The debt was already there. The low wages were already there. The lack of home ownership was already there.

The fragile system was already fragile. This just exposed the fact that it is fragile.

The poorer they are, the easier they are going to be to control by the powers that be.

That doesn't mean that I have to suffer the same fate.

Being a business owner is one of the best ways to rise above the chaos.

Part of the genius of McDonald's was that it systematized a business where any teenager with any amount of education could be trained quickly to produce a reliable result.

Well, all those millennials are still going to want food in their bellies and a roof over their heads. So they're still going to want employment so that they can obtain these things for themselves.

I'm thinking less along the lines of "How am I going to buy food and pay my mortgage?" and more along the lines of "How could I create a repeatable system where I can employ just about any millennial to produce a reliable outcome that people will pay for?"

My choices will determine whether I end up as that employer or that employee.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I am a millennial.

Despite having a college degree, it took me until I was over 30 before I made more than $20,000/year.

I just BARELY managed to buy a house in 2018. It's a 1-story, 912 square foot house with no basement. And that felt like a miracle to me. It's not paid off yet.

Here's how I'm thinking about it, both in the micro sense (Me and my individual life and choices) and the macro sense (my whole generation, the masses).

First off, I'm NEVER going to settle for the kind of thinking that says, "I don't stand a chance." The story we tell ourself in our heads is often what will play out in real life. Not gonna let that self-fulfilling prophecy have any space in my thinking.

Second, I am completely different from most millennials. My thinking is different. My choices have been different. My approach to situations is different. I'm a problem solver, not a handout-taker.

Right now, while I'm still employed, I'm also looking around to see where I'm headed if this gig fizzles out. I'm looking for the biggest problem I can solve that will serve the most people. I'm looking for how my skill sets match up against the current circumstances. Where do the people with money need help? How can I provide value there?

The debt was already there. The low wages were already there. The lack of home ownership was already there.

The fragile system was already fragile. This just exposed the fact that it is fragile.

The poorer they are, the easier they are going to be to control by the powers that be.

Part of the genius of McDonald's was that it systematized a business where any teenager with any amount of education could be trained quickly to produce a reliable result.

Well, all those millennials are still going to want food in their bellies and a roof over their heads. So they're still going to want employment so that they can obtain these things for themselves.

I'm thinking less along the lines of "How am I going to buy food and pay my mortgage?" and more along the lines of "How could I create a repeatable system where I can employ just about any millennial to produce a reliable outcome that people will pay for?"

Thanks, those are the kind of response I was looking for.

So it's my turn to share with you, for me personally, I have a job that is still relative secure (Company works with big brother), but I have started to study something else outside of work, that is not required of work long ago before this virus became a reality, so nothing has changed my plan yet. I am so glad I started so early, because now most people that just got laid off are looking to do the same thing I was doing to hopefully bolster their resumes. And I know this thing that I am studying right now is very hard and likely won't get people that only started to study on a whim to pass, so I know I am ahead of them by at least half a year.

The lesson learned here is that we all should at least have something going on with our own lives independent of the day jobs that we do.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I am a millennial.

Amen Brother! I see myself as an investment manager. In fact I see everyone as an investment manager. The number one thing you should be investing in is yourself. The higher value person you become the higher value you can deliver to the market and the market will reward you in kind.
There are really only two things you have that you can invest, time and energy. Investing your time and energy on being an employee is a good short term strategy but a very poor long term strategy. This current "problem" has sharply pointed that out to you. I suggest that you start thinking about multiple streams of income and focusing hard on where you want to go in life.
My entrepreneurial journey started with just making $1 dollar online, which proved to me that you CAN make money online. I rinsed and repeated from there on. I have great hope for the youth of this world. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. All the best.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

What a shitty, depressing article. It's true; >95% of the people in the world (not just millenials) are going to get F*cked and sink in the upcoming economic disaster that's going to make many jobless, homeless, and many of the rich won't be spared either. Millionaires will go bankrupt. It's like a reset button.

Thing is, what are you going to do in the coming months to prep yourself, so that when they sink, you rise? Will you be one of those sinking?

When the asteroid hit the earth 65 million years ago and killed off the dinosaurs, that gave the small prehistoric mammals a chance to rise and evolve. So, dinosaur or mammal?

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
What a shitty, depressing article. It's true; >95% of the people in the world (not just millenials) are going to get F*cked and sink in the upcoming economic disaster that's going to make many jobless, homeless, and many of the rich won't be spared either. Millionaires will go bankrupt. It's like a reset button.

Thing is, what are you going to do in the coming months to prep yourself, so that when they sink, you rise? Will you be one of those sinking?

When the asteroid hit the earth 65 million years ago and killed off the dinosaurs, that gave the small prehistoric mammals a chance to rise and evolve. So, dinosaur or mammal?

I have started doing something way before this has happened, and this is not going to change my direction either. For people who just started doing something when this hit, sorry, it is already too late.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I have started doing something way before this has happened, and this is not going to change my direction either. For people who just started doing something when this hit, sorry, it is already too late.
It's never too late to kick it into gear. Maybe this is the wake up call many needed to get going. Sometimes it's good to have your cage rattled just to help you realize you're in a cage! All the best!

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Congratulations, nice work! It must feel good to have a head start. I wish you all the best!

The gist of the story is more like we all should do things independent of outside factors, such as the economy or work. I believe what I did will pay off in the future, just not in the near future.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

The facts are true. But I can summaries it further.

Young People who expect a stable middle class lifestyle following the same path as their parents are disappointed. It no longer works in today’s world of globalization and automation.

You degree and white collar job is nothing but a role to “process information”. Someone in India can do it at 25 percent the cost. Once the company do a software system upgrade we just need half the people to maintain the system.

There are three attitude response to this.

1) Life is hard and there is no hope. That’s what the article sounds..not something we should advocate here.

2) Life is hard but I am harder. Be a better slowlane grinder. Take up a cheap master to get more paper certificate..Learn a more language to be more competitive in job. Take up more initiative and stay later in office..get a job in a big organization and out grind your competitors. Work two men workload for one man’s pay. Network like crazy during weekend. I know a lot anxious millennials here.

3)Since 1 and 2 are not your cup of tea, taking risk is a must. Gamble or die. Whenever there is great disruption there are new opportunities. Barrier to entry in business have been lower thanks to technology. The cost of business failure fortunately is lower. In today’s world if you live in a decent country and fail you are not going to starve. I guess most fastlaners are here?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
This article has literally no meaning.
Especially if you are a problem solver.
What does it matter if there is a recession or not? Mass hysteria or not? Government regulations or not?
What are you saying?
That people will stop wanting stuff? They wont have problems to solve?

@hellolin all I read was negativety from you. Zero objectivity. It sounds to me that the situation we find our selves in is making you blind to the opportunities.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Alright looks like most people here are stilling giving the same answers, thanks everyone for your contribution.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.