Hello all,
Thought I would try to contribute a little for some of the newbies. I have seen quite a few threads and questions about "getting started" again and thought I could give an idea of where to start.
Step 1. Ask the right questions:
What type of business interests you?
I think so many people right now are just saying "oooo internet business! I can sell little glass dolls for $500 a piece and make 1 million dollars a month!" Well regardless of the business you get in, it is a BUSINESS. There is work to do! Realize that whatever business you get into it's always simple, but not easy.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE MONEY AT IT?
This is, I think, the question people are not asking is how in the world are you going to make money at that? Is the money realistic, and if it's realistic is it worth pursuing? MJ talks about good money vs. great money. Only you can really define that but the question NEEDS to be answered.
Step 2. Gap Analysis
This is something that was never really taught to me. Supposedly if you go for an MBA this is really important on the test :smxB:. The gap analysis is deciding where you are at right now and how much it would cost for your "dream life" Soooo...
a.) What do you make right now?
b.) What would it cost for your dream life? (housing, car, etc.)
Step 3. Revenue Plan
Where do these dollars come from to bridge this gap? List ALL the ways this new business can make income. Some you need to do immediately, some you need to execute in the future but keep this list handy so when you sit there and are saying "damn I wish I was making more money..." pull out your list and start working!
Step 4. Sales Process
With this revenue plan what do you have to do on a daily basis to make money? Not necessarily what do you have to do to make money THAT day, but what do you have to do on a daily basis to make money??? How will you find new customers on a daily basis? How will you sell your product/service on a daily basis? How will you relate with your customers on a daily basis? (keeping in mind the goal is money!)
Step 5. Action
Those phone calls you're putting off? You have to do it. Those materials you'll need later? You have to do it. That plan you just wrote?? You have to do it! No one is going to do it for you!
Good luck!
Thought I would try to contribute a little for some of the newbies. I have seen quite a few threads and questions about "getting started" again and thought I could give an idea of where to start.
Step 1. Ask the right questions:
What type of business interests you?
I think so many people right now are just saying "oooo internet business! I can sell little glass dolls for $500 a piece and make 1 million dollars a month!" Well regardless of the business you get in, it is a BUSINESS. There is work to do! Realize that whatever business you get into it's always simple, but not easy.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE MONEY AT IT?
This is, I think, the question people are not asking is how in the world are you going to make money at that? Is the money realistic, and if it's realistic is it worth pursuing? MJ talks about good money vs. great money. Only you can really define that but the question NEEDS to be answered.
Step 2. Gap Analysis
This is something that was never really taught to me. Supposedly if you go for an MBA this is really important on the test :smxB:. The gap analysis is deciding where you are at right now and how much it would cost for your "dream life" Soooo...
a.) What do you make right now?
b.) What would it cost for your dream life? (housing, car, etc.)
Step 3. Revenue Plan
Where do these dollars come from to bridge this gap? List ALL the ways this new business can make income. Some you need to do immediately, some you need to execute in the future but keep this list handy so when you sit there and are saying "damn I wish I was making more money..." pull out your list and start working!
Step 4. Sales Process
With this revenue plan what do you have to do on a daily basis to make money? Not necessarily what do you have to do to make money THAT day, but what do you have to do on a daily basis to make money??? How will you find new customers on a daily basis? How will you sell your product/service on a daily basis? How will you relate with your customers on a daily basis? (keeping in mind the goal is money!)
Step 5. Action
Those phone calls you're putting off? You have to do it. Those materials you'll need later? You have to do it. That plan you just wrote?? You have to do it! No one is going to do it for you!
Good luck!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
