The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FTE > Moved to Mexico and Started Making Tequila

Share your FTE moment...

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Drum. Roll. Please…

As promised in my SEO agency progress thread here it goes.

I am super excited to finally have the opportunity to share my main project that I have been working on with 5 other partners for nearly a year.

It is called Finca 18 and it is an agave spirits distillery + event space that sits on a beautiful 12 acre tropical Mexican ranch.

This is going to be super cool for everyone following because I can be 100% transparent because of the difficulty and uniqueness of the project. Plus if anyone wants to do the same thing near me it would also benefit me.

About two years ago I finally decided to pack up my bags, quit my civil engineering job, and take a leap of faith and move to Mexico after an entrepreneur event in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. After a few difficult life events I had my FTE and decided that I really needed to change my scenery.

I am part Mexican and was around Mexican tradition my entire life. I had a strong “why” for coming here. Also in the last 8 years or so I got super interested in tequila, mezcal, distilling, Mexican culture, and everything that comes with that.

About six months after moving to Puerto Vallarta, I started to give tours of regional artisanal distilleries that made agave spirits high up in the mountains. Taking tourists to places where heritage Mexican spirits were made. Here it is called “raicilla” but there are other common names for basically the same thing depending on where you are in Mexico.

The tours were more for fun and a chance for me to see my friends as well as entertain my general interests. Eventually I became the go-to guy here for everything raicilla.

About six months after that, my girlfriend suggested that we open up our own distillery so we can start taking tourists much closer to Puerto Vallarta. After all, it took nearly all day to do the mountain tour and there weren't any producers making agave spirits as close as my girlfriend’s family ranch was to Puerto Vallarta.

Once we started entertaining the idea, the entire family wanted to jump in on the action. What started out as a very small project turned into a full-scale property development plan that took nearly one year to complete.

In February we started doing a soft opening and by April we were in full-blown operation.

Anyway, I am creating this progress thread for accountability, to generate ideas, and to provide you all with a little entertainment.

Afterall, it is not everyday a gringo moves to Mexico, partners with 5 other Mexicans and starts making tequila.

I hope you enjoy.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-14 at 12.09.13 PM.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How incredibly exciting! Can wait to read more and thanks for sharing the journey and the transparency.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Love it!

I was in Tequila, Jalisco a few months ago and man do those distilleries smell delicious!

Although I don’t drink it’s definitely seductive.

I’m the happiest person ever in Mexico with the historical architecture and culture.

Good luck, which you probably won’t need as there is definitely a market for you! You’re gonna make money!

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Big moves, Greg! Wishing you success on this exciting new journey!

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
This is phenomenal and I'm excited to watch you grow this! I also respect the fact you're being 100% transparent about it.

Good luck!

Cheers.

Andy Bell

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Feb 10, 2019
Zihuantanejo
Amazing congrats! I am currently living in Mazatlan maybe ill drop by for a drink :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I am part Mexican and was around Mexican tradition my entire life.
I didn't know this about you. Very cool tying this into a "going back to your roots" kind of thing with a deeper purpose.

Very excited to see what you're doing and following for pics!!

Give the @SteveO golf course thread a run for it's money.

Let's see some Agave plants!

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Pretty cool. I was looking at your website and the really nice pics you have of the property. Looks amazing.

Can an American buy land in Mexico or do you need to become a Mexican citizen before you're able to do so?

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Pretty cool. I was looking at your website and the really nice pics you have of the property. Looks amazing.

Can an American buy land in Mexico or do you need to become a Mexican citizen before you're able to do so?
Foreigners can buy land in Mexico. There are just a few extra steps.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Awesome thread Greg! Instant Watch :)

I am super excited to finally have the opportunity to share my main project that I have been working on with 5 other partners for nearly a year.
Talking about process!

It is called Finca 18 and it is an agave spirits distillery + event space that sits on a beautiful 12 acre tropical Mexican ranch.
Checked out your website, looks nice and personal.

A suggestion: make an about part on your main page. I've read the 'full story'. With such a premium product the story could be more prominent on your website. Curious what your thoughts are on it.

In February we started doing a soft opening and by April we were in full-blown operation.
How will this look like? What are your challenges and current frustrations?

Again, thank you for posting this thread! :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.