The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Free Copywriting Service!

Will you take free copywriting service in exchange for using it in their portfolio?

• Yes

• No

• It depends

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Man, you should change your attitude. Chalk what you've been told here up, and maybe you'll get those portfolio clients.

Nobody needs clients to build a portfolio. I don't think he cares however.

:shit::thumbsdown:

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
@Vairavan

If you're looking to build your portfolio (and especially learn how to write copy that will attract clients), get onto UpWork ASAP. I see close to 50-100 copywriting jobs posted each day. You're going to get rejected a lot, but you'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

And if you wanted to scope out the competition, create a client profile, post a fake job up there with a high budget to attract the top talent (and a lot of mediocre talent).

Which one's would you buy from?
What do the top talent do that's different than the rest?
What are some signals that just put you off from hiring?

The beauty about looking at UpWork from this regard is that it's completely free and legal, and can quickly boost your copy skills.

Did I mention you'll get lots of practice writing good proposals (a.k.a. copy) and get paid to do so?

If you've not tried UpWork before, @Lex DeVille has many great threads on the subject.

It's harder now than ever before to get onto UpWork as a freelancer, especially starting out. But there's no excuse to not get a client account and reverse engineer the process.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Or just make a portfolio to show off your skills without groveling as is suggested by greats like Luke Sullivan.

I don't believe the OP has even read 10 books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
@Vairavan

If you're looking to build your portfolio (and especially learn how to write copy that will attract clients), get onto UpWork ASAP. I see close to 50-100 copywriting jobs posted each day. You're going to get rejected a lot, but you'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

And if you wanted to scope out the competition, create a client profile, post a fake job up there with a high budget to attract the top talent (and a lot of mediocre talent).

The beauty about looking at UpWork from this regard is that it's completely free and legal, and can quickly boost your copy skills.

Did I mention you'll get lots of practice writing good proposals (a.k.a. copy) and get paid to do so?

If you've not tried UpWork before, @Lex DeVille has many great threads on the subject.

It's harder now than ever before to get onto UpWork as a freelancer, especially starting out. But there's no excuse to not get a client account and reverse engineer the process.

Thanks a lot!

It's harder now than ever before to get onto UpWork as a freelancer

No problem! I already got an upwork profile. I just need a portfolio for it.

It sounds like really solid advice. I'll do this now.

Last edited:

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Or just make a portfolio to show off your skills

I could do that. I can write copy for random products and use them for my portfolio. But, if I worked for real clients I can put the links in my portfolio. It'll add credibility. Also, I can learn what questions to ask. For example, I said I got 8 offers for my free service in Reddit. I got all their emails and sent them a questionnaire. I didn't hear back from most of them. Now I'm working on improving my questionnaire.

Last edited:

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
I just need a portfolio for it.

Two misconceptions here:

1) You don't need clients to build a portfolio
2) You don't know a portfolio to get clients

Write a good, you-focused proposal that meets all their needs mentioned in their job posting. No templates, no copy-paste. If you do that, you'll be ahead of 90% of the competition (including those with clients). Remember, don't talk about you, talk about them. Then show that you're the only solution to their needs, but only after you've addressed their needs.

I could do that. I can write copy for random products and use them for my portfolio. But, if I worked for real clients I can put the links in my portfolio. It'll add credibility. Also, I can learn what questions to ask. For example, I said I got 8 offers for my free service in Reddit. I got all their emails and sent them a questionnaire. I didn't hear back from most of them. Now I'm working on improving my questionnaire.

Then write copy for random products. Or better yet, not random products. Look at their posting, find what they are looking for, write up a quick sample for a similar product or service, then use that. Even if you don't get the job, odds are there will eventually be someone else in that same industry.

And don't worry about improving your questionnaire. Get clients! Through experience you'll find out what to ask. Until then, a questionnaire is an impersonal way to get information while creating obstacles from using their service. Most people that have questionnaires wait until after the sale to send them out.

You believe or not, I don't care.

You don't care about getting better at your craft? Start caring or people on this forum aren't going to waste time helping. If you cared, you'd be asking "which 10 books should I read?"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

OPERATION ACTION FAKING SEQUENCE 7. COMMENCE.

I lost all my money on books. Now I don't have anything left.

:blank:

I'm setting you on ignore. You're a waste of time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.