The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Fortune favours the brave"

Anything related to matters of the mind

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
Paradox of choice

So many options nowadays, that make us blind in face of so many.

I found a thread in this same forum. This same thread was created by an user saying that a certain "millionaire" got lucky.

One of his arguments is :" this millionaire" got lucky because he was caught in an industry where there was a "gold rush".

I read this and i decide to write this to remember myself and other people as well that luck appears when you open your eyes and you prepare yourself in advance to catch the opportunity.

History time.

So between the period from 1760 and 1840 it happened the industrial revolution.

In the beggining of 1760 probably some people saw an opportunity. They prepared themselves, they inform themselves. They talked to people and they work like hell.

After that,

Some people grab their money and take a risk, Some did nothing.

Some got broke, some became millionaires.

In the 90´s some people saw an opportunity comming. The technology was becoming more efficient and there was more demand for that technology.

After the 90´s the 21 century comes. Now people complain that there is no new opportunities.

In 2007 Steve Jobs introduced the Iphone

Steve jobs literally create a new industry.

Correct if im wrong, but probably some retailers and other businessman got a little apprehensive and did not want to risk their money distributing this product. Other industries probably didnt implement their ideas to add value to the iphone and make the product with more features.

After smartphones start taking over the market, another industry was borned.

Apps

IN 2009 there was the gold rush to apps. Few people had information to make apps. The first ones had to go through Struggles and countless hours trying to create apps that could grow and expand the industry of apps.

Industry of Apps was born without big players in the market.

People that bought apps, only bought because they saw that it could make their lifes easier.

They didnt bought it because it was a logo from a "big player/corporation".

As you can see people ,in this century we had the same opportunities has the old generations. Some opportunities are even bigger than past opportunities. (In the 21 century acess to information is easy)

The list goes on and on....

GoPro cameras and a lot more.

But there is a point that i think is the most important.

This industries in the initial stage , didnt offer the same privileges that estabilished industries offer.

Those who tried to open a business in new industires had to learn many times by trial and error. They did not have the "luck" to have hundreds of books, articles and people showing them the exactly path in this particularly totally new industry.

Before you call someone lucky, think in the struggles ,risks and no guarantes of payoff, that people that got rich had to face.

People dont give only their money to their business they give a big portion of their lifes to their businesses. How can we be so cinic to the point of calling someone who put himself in such risk, lucky?

Well i have a answer for that-

"People would do better, if they knew better"

The mind is tricky.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
It depends on the definition of "lucky", in my opinion.
What would've happened if the January 1975 edition of Popular Electronics did not fall in the hands of Bill Gates? Was he lucky to get that issue that started it all?

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
It depends on the definition of "lucky", in my opinion.
What would've happened if the January 1975 edition of Popular Electronics did not fall in the hands of Bill Gates? Was he lucky to get that issue that started it all?

Popular electronics only created their magazines to Bill Gates? I think many people saw that magazine at that time.

Some people did nothing or didnt do enough. Bill Gates did.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
That Popular Electronics worked as a muse for Bill Gates, it gave him inspiration.
Now, I agree 100% that it wasn't "luck", but his readiness to act that allowed him to create his empire.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The experience I've had the last few years, is when you put yourself out there, mingle with other people no matter where it is, you cross paths with others that point you to resources and meeting others along the way that are already there. On the same note...mindset has to be there to be interacting with these people on the same level. If you're in the side walk mentality, you're not going to even show up, or deliberately put yourself on the same path as these other people.

For instance, I've told people that are hanging out in depression forums, wrong place to be hanging out if you want to get well and out of the dark mindset, and victim mentality. Who you hang around becomes your reality. I always place myself in groups that are ahead of me, to obtain the same mentality. The luck part may be that you just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The rest is cause and effect of doing and your actions. If you're in victim mentality these people aren't even going to give you the time of day. In a sense Law of attraction in my experience is true. I attract people by what ever mood or mindset I'm in every day. What I put out there I get back.

There's times you attract people that mirror your attitude and that can even be someone with a ego, or someone that wants to take advantage of you. In order for you to learn to set boundaries. Such as other people like me that are starting businesses but assume you want to help them, or take them with you down your path. This has been happening lately to me. I don't mind sharing information and helping them, but no I don't need a tag along, or side kick. While I don't want to discourage their success, I believe that independence is needed in these two cases. Why? Does it add an value to my experience or my success. It's hard sometimes, but my work is important to me, and to be side tracked, and or have someone take my ideas is just not beneficial. Call it selfish. lol I just know there are people that talk the talk and no action. They're not as serious as me and don't do all the research or the work.

When people know you have knowledge they want it, but not willing to do the work, and complain about how hard it is. Which indicates to me they're not ready for it, or even serious about it. When you're complaining about how stressed you are, and don't have time, it indicates to me, your priorities aren't in the right place. And this is the biggest problem. Where they are in life right now, what are their priorities, and what comes first. Do they set boundaries. I create my reality. So Yes, there are good people out there, but I depend on luck. I've met people for an hour never seen them again, and which happen with me getting two articles published. So it may just be a passing for a moment, a resource and word of an encouragement. You may never see them again. And like the Entrepreneur I spoke with before I left I only knew for three days. Yet, he gave me a lot. This is the way it happens for me. I pay attention to details. It can be at your job, online, in any forum, even virtual worlds. You never know who you will pass on your way.

I believe it is all about doing through your actions. Creating your world. Not allowing others to stop you and setting boundaries. I've learned it doesn't matter who it is in front of me, they can be an asset or down fall. I pay attention to their words, their motives, their actions, and their mindset. I could care less what they're trying to get me to buy into. You can be the best sales man, look all shiny and happy, that's golden, but under the pretty packaging lies the truth. :) I suppose every millionaire has learned this. It's not being lucky, but being smart! Making the right choices. Using your brains.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
That Popular Electronics worked as a muse for Bill Gates, it gave him inspiration.
Now, I agree 100% that it wasn't "luck", but his readiness to act that allowed him to create his empire.

Exactly.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Do or do not... cry to me not with your try - Dark Yoda

Totally butchered that, but...
My point is, people are going to whinge, but in the end, do you do it, or not?
Thats all up to you in the end, so go kick some a##

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
3D printing.

A new trend that may stick for long years to come... As you can see the opportunities that exist in the previous century exists now, with a market more hungry than ever.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Risk is a dominant factor in everything we see, touch and do every single day. Does it help to have some contacts with people in the right places ?.....Sure it does, but let's dig deep down to see where these magic people come from in the first place! To have such people in your alliance you will have probably invested time, loyalty and discipline that most wouldn't have..... unless you had a fastlane mentality.You will have known how to compliment their achievements, been tactful, creative in your questioning and would have offered something in return. If you didn't do any of that stuff then you were lucky indeed. "Its not our circumstances but our minds that create our results" ........Interesting discussion OP.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.