The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Focus, or lack there of...

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know ideas come easy to some people. I am one of them, problem is I don't know which idea is best and which one to focus on.

This Amanda Hocking thing got me thinking I should write a book, I'm a good writer, but then again, how many people will be doing the same thing? Can I be the better marketer? This story in a fiction novel that I have had in my head for 10 years, never took the time to put it on paper. I am not even sure it is worth my time.

I thought I could open a restaurant. My city has it's fair share but other then subway and a wrap place, we can't find anything healthy to eat here, I was thinking of opening something that put an emphasis on healthy eating. Problem is I am still in debt and no bank will finance me. Do I go out and seek capital investors? I don't know.

I can write an Ebook on fitness. Problem is there are 40,000,000 ebooks on fitness. I can do the same for a debt management ebook, same problem as above.

I can look for wholesalers, but I have a hard time finding them. I have gotten in touch with some but never really got anywhere. Again, my debt is keeping me back on this one.

How do you know when your idea is the one and how do you know what to do with it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Just from reading your post, your focus on "problems" is holding you back and limiting your opportunities.

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just from reading your post, your focus on "problems" is holding you back and limiting your opportunities.

Exactly! How do you get away from that? I find flaws in every idea I think of. I need to stick to one idea and go for it. But how do I know which idea is best?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Exactly! How do you get away from that? I find flaws in every idea I think of. I need to stick to one idea and go for it. But how do I know which idea is best?

The best idea at this point is the one that has the capability to grow exponentially. You want to spend your valuable time in serving as many customers as possible as efficiently as possible.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I know that sounds vague and you want more than that. The deal is that most people want someone to tell them exactly what to do. The reasons are many. Fear of failure. Fear of commitment. Needing someone to blame if everything goes to crap.

Basically, do as much homework as you can to feel some comfort. Choose a direction and get started. Adjust a lot along the way. You will know when you hit a groove. You will make mistakes and you will learn some hard lessons. The lights will never be all green before you start on your business. You will have to grow bigger than your problems though. Good luck.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ArtieRay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 19, 2011
Kansas City,MO
Without question I totally understand where you are. I have been there and to some extent I am still there. Until you begin to focus on problem solving then you will continue to live this repetitive nightmare of "great ideas" that you shoot down and essentially don't motivate you to take action. I think the skill of idea creation is a gift and you seem to have it. My advise would be to focus on problem solving that in supported by an extreme need and then use your gift of idea creation and GET TO WORK!

Argus69

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 28, 2011
I have made a few mistakes in opening two restaurants. I fell into the selfish mode which is doing something because I liked the idea of being a restaurant owner. To make a long story short-Don't be shortsighted. Take heed of magnitude and scale in any business you think of doing. These are very important concepts.
How do you know what or which product to go with? Well that's not so easy to answer. I would say all business is a shot in the dark. is there a need?-well even if there you are still taking a risk. No guarantee. You just try to minimize the risks. You need money...so somehow get it. You cannot start a serious business without money. Even writing a book you need funds for marketing, etc. The product is a small part. The Majority is marketing. Marketing will be a major cost.
MJ gives you a host of concepts to take into account when you start a business. These are to minimize somehow your risk. In my opinion you can take his advice but its by no means a "guaranteed" path to success.

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the advice. I will stumble upon a need somewhere and find a way to satisfy it. Until then, I will keep coming back here for tips and information.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
From reading your post I say:

Nobody cares if you think you're a good writer, they care about what you write.
You can be the worlds worst possible writer, but your content can be golden etc.

Another comment that came to my head:

Don't get crazy over the part with the genius idea cause most are not able to get any execution done, especially over the long term.

You can even have some bad idea or just duplicate an international idea to your local market etc., but if your execution is excellent you can get nice results. If you understand that system you can move on to a genius idea one day and get it done, but that will happen or not fully automatic.

Keep busy doing, not too much thinking.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.