The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

SimonD01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 21, 2023
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

I'd like to ask something that's constantly on my mind, something that I shall call 'Flying Into The Wind'.

Simply put. My attitude to life and my desires doesn't seem to condone with the 'norm'. I'm *big time* *totally* content with it. However, it makes it difficult to socialize, not that my social skills are bad, in fact they are up to scratch, except the things that I find interesting and like to discuss the majority of people I come in contact with either brush off or don't seem very interested in. These include: books, philosophy, business ventures, goals, desires and all things that I believe matter most when it comes to succeeding in life. To me, the majority of people my age (19) seem super immature and don't appear to have their priorities/minds in the right places (that being subjective, of course).
I'm not sure if this is common or not, but I very much feel more at home when conversing, networking, and spending time around people with more life and professional experience as well as wisdom, from whom I can effectively learn, and gather insights. Usually these kinds of people fall in a much higher age bracket than I, making it fairly more difficult to spend time in their company.
Now when it comes to people in my age group, it boils down to what I said earlier, it's utterly difficult to meet intelligent, and like-minded individuals. I have couple close friends, however, once again, we just don't have the same views on life. Let alone attitudes.
So I'm stuck in the middle. Same age bracket doesn't seem compatible. Upper age bracket is compatible but rather inaccessible.

Another question that I have is, how do you remain confident and trust your inner beliefs/gut? I guess you could say I suck at reality. The things I desire and endeavor to achieve are rather ambitious. They refuse to settle for mediocrity. As a result, it comes as rather no wonder that I so often get slapped in the face with the words "Look at it realistically" or "Stop dreaming" and "Why can't you settle for less? After all, chances are, neither of us will live their dreams". It drives me nuts. My inner belief refuses these claims. To me they just feel right (Don't they say "trust your gut?" haha bet). After all, striving for just good forsakes excellence, no? To me it's either victory or decay. Win or perish.

It would rock to hear some of your thoughts on this, especially if you experience(d) the same.

Bring it on.

Simon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

steel-potato

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 30, 2023
Australia
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

I'd like to ask something that's constantly on my mind, something that I shall call 'Flying Into The Wind'.

Simply put. My attitude to life and my desires doesn't seem to condone with the 'norm'. I'm *big time* *totally* content with it. However, it makes it difficult to socialize, not that my social skills are bad, in fact they are up to scratch, except the things that I find interesting and like to discuss the majority of people I come in contact with either brush off or don't seem very interested in. These include: books, philosophy, business ventures, goals, desires and all things that I believe matter most when it comes to succeeding in life. To me, the majority of people my age (19) seem super immature and don't appear to have their priorities/minds in the right places (that being subjective, of course).
I'm not sure if this is common or not, but I very much feel more at home when conversing, networking, and spending time around people with more life and professional experience as well as wisdom, from whom I can effectively learn, and gather insights. Usually these kinds of people fall in a much higher age bracket than I, making it fairly more difficult to spend time in their company.
Now when it comes to people in my age group, it boils down to what I said earlier, it's utterly difficult to meet intelligent, and like-minded individuals. I have couple close friends, however, once again, we just don't have the same views on life. Let alone attitudes.
So I'm stuck in the middle. Same age bracket doesn't seem compatible. Upper age bracket is compatible but rather inaccessible.

Another question that I have is, how do you remain confident and trust your inner beliefs/gut? I guess you could say I suck at reality. The things I desire and endeavor to achieve are rather ambitious. They refuse to settle for mediocrity. As a result, it comes as rather no wonder that I so often get slapped in the face with the words "Look at it realistically" or "Stop dreaming" and "Why can't you settle for less? After all, chances are, neither of us will live their dreams". It drives me nuts. My inner belief refuses these claims. To me they just feel right (Don't they say "trust your gut?" haha bet). After all, striving for just good forsakes excellence, no? To me it's either victory or decay. Win or perish.

It would rock to hear some of your thoughts on this, especially if you experience(d) the same.

Bring it on.

Simon
When I was your age I was quite similar. Always had older friends, and i think they enjoyed my youthful company. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and you can learn a lot from older people.

That being said I would say that at 19 it's easy to have big dreams, but not easy to follow through with them. And older friends won't help with that unless they've achieved the success you are seeking. If they haven't, the gifts of maturity mean very little in a practical sense.

Especially cause you don't have the confidence of age, and people see you as more naive and don't take your ambitions seriously. It makes it harder to get things up and running. So my advice would be, if I could go back to being 19...

Pick 1 thing and do it relentlessly. It sounds romantic saying it, but it's not. Most of the time you don't feel like doing said thing, there's no reward or praise, and people will judge you. Even if you fail, the skill of doing the work consistently, and in the face of cynics, will make you the kind of person that is unbeatable later in life.

Its easy to be romantic, and to get motivated about something. It's easy to dream. But when I was like that at your age I constantly changed my mind about what my dream is, and flip flopped from this to that.

Listen to the Modern Wisdom podcasts with Alex Horzomi... he talks about these things amazingly

Samhiland

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2023
Thirsty for achievement. You haven't don't any or your dreams and possibility potential. You might have kind of big ego which is not something bad unless it doesn't meet a big persistence, patience and hard work.

Samhiland

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2023
Good for you. You will be chasing achievement all your life I guess. It can be a devastating thing if it is not combined with patience, persistence and goal clarity.

SimonD01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 21, 2023
When I was your age I was quite similar. Always had older friends, and i think they enjoyed my youthful company. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and you can learn a lot from older people.

That being said I would say that at 19 it's easy to have big dreams, but not easy to follow through with them. And older friends won't help with that unless they've achieved the success you are seeking. If they haven't, the gifts of maturity mean very little in a practical sense.

Especially cause you don't have the confidence of age, and people see you as more naive and don't take your ambitions seriously. It makes it harder to get things up and running. So my advice would be, if I could go back to being 19...

Pick 1 thing and do it relentlessly. It sounds romantic saying it, but it's not. Most of the time you don't feel like doing said thing, there's no reward or praise, and people will judge you. Even if you fail, the skill of doing the work consistently, and in the face of cynics, will make you the kind of person that is unbeatable later in life.

Its easy to be romantic, and to get motivated about something. It's easy to dream. But when I was like that at your age I constantly changed my mind about what my dream is, and flip flopped from this to that.

Listen to the Modern Wisdom podcasts with Alex Horzomi... he talks about these things amazingly
Hey @steel-potato , appreciate the reply.

Referring to what you said about big dreams being hard to follow through with, what do you mean by this? Do you mean that it's difficult to get yourself to do the things required to accomplish them by not having the discipline and resilience? If that's the case, I'm in the clear.

When it comes to older friends, I agree with what you said. I think it is more about associating with people who more or so share my values and attitudes, which appears to be more present in people above my age bracket.

Your 4th paragraph talking about relentlessnes. I don't find it to be a matter of "I don't feel like it" to me it's you either do it or you lose, so there really is no choice. Remember Alex's analogy? The rat chasing after the cheese while simultaneously being chased by a cat? (Kick a$$ podcast by the way! Thank you very much for the recommendation!) That's been one of my driving forces for a while. It's like that adrenaline kick you get while fighting for you life.

I'd also like to touch up on the "age naivity" you mentioned. It does feel like people assume that I am indeed naive or just merely a "day-dreamer", but the same people just so happen to not have achieved much in life themselves and claim that "due to their age" they know better? My question is, if that's so, why are you where you are? It's harsh, and it's uneasy for me to say but it's something that I have come to learn over the past few years.
I truly believe that your state-of-mind is a crucial factor, if not the catalyst to the things you achieve. After all, our thoughts foster our actions no? And actions lead to results.
Why have some people achieved the "impossible"? If it's by "luck" then they sure as hell have been lucky to have the damn perseverance to press on and not quit.
Everybody who has achieved what's believed by the society to be unrealistic has once been the "young and naive daydreamer" yet there they are, kicking a$$, and living it up.

Let me know your thoughts!

Simon

Last edited:

SimonD01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 21, 2023
Thirsty for achievement. You haven't don't any or your dreams and possibility potential. You might have kind of big ego which is not something bad unless it doesn't meet a big persistence, patience and hard work.
Hey @Samihiland
Thirst fosters action to seek water I guess.

You said "you haven't done any of your dreams". That's correct. Potential wise? It's difficult to ascertain. I'm confident in my abilities to persevere and act on my thoughts thus turning them into action. However potential is individually subjective. Therefore some would agree, others wouldn't.
Ego wise. The way we comprehend tone/attitude behind writing differs from person to person so maybe to you my words did in fact comr across egotistical. I jusy tend to be transparent, maybe that is why it came across as such. If so, I apologize.
Either way, let's hope that I do meet the criteria you touched upon in your last sentence. Bet ; )

Thanks man!

Simon

Samhiland

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2023
Hey @Samihiland
Thirst fosters action to seek water I guess.

You said "you haven't done any of your dreams". That's correct. Potential wise? It's difficult to ascertain. I'm confident in my abilities to persevere and act on my thoughts thus turning them into action. However potential is individually subjective. Therefore some would agree, others wouldn't.
Ego wise. The way we comprehend tone/attitude behind writing differs from person to person so maybe to you my words did in fact comr across egotistical. I jusy tend to be transparent, maybe that is why it came across as such. If so, I apologize.
Either way, let's hope that I do meet the criteria you touched upon in your last sentence. Bet ; )

Thanks man!

Simon
You seem to have the energy and determination to know exactly what you want—two crucial components for success. I didn't mean any harm by mentioning the ego aspect. I wanted to highlight that ego can be a controversial factor in entrepreneurship. It's important up to a certain level, as it serves as a driving force. However, exceeding that level can lead to burnout, disappointment, and a loss of interest and joy when you find that great success is almost impossible and requires so much luck.

Keep in mind that most of people here are not successful entrepreneurs so far (or we would be busy with our thriving business, lol). However, they undoubtedly possess valuable experiences and knowledge due to a long journey of ventures- for most of us. I would not absorb any discouragement because you can't trust it but learn from the NOT-TO-DO things leant in the hard way, since the people with the to-do advices are probably too busy to read your post :). Good luck!

Last edited:

SimonD01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 21, 2023
You seem to have the energy and determination to know exactly what you want—two crucial components for success. I didn't mean any harm by mentioning the ego aspect. I wanted to highlight that ego can be a controversial factor in entrepreneurship. It's important up to a certain level, as it serves as a driving force. However, exceeding that level can lead to burnout, disappointment, and a loss of interest and joy when you find that great success is almost impossible and requires so much luck.

Keep in mind that most of people here are not successful entrepreneurs so far (or we would be busy with our thriving business, lol). However, they undoubtedly possess valuable experiences and knowledge due to a long journey of ventures- for most of us. I would not absorb any discouragement because you can't trust it but learn from the NOT-TO-DO things leant in the hard way, since the people with the to-do advices are probably too busy to read your post :). Good luck!
You are correct. I have my eyes set on something much bigger than me. It's something that's been a part of me ever since I was a little kid. The idea of letting it go or not living up to it and any of my dreams is just non-existent. I think superiority complex is a solid way to define this feeling. The desire to go beyond expectations, and the confidence in one's abilities to do so.

Great success, certainly, is impossible for the one who believes so. After all, how can one achieve something he doesn't believe exists?
I personally refuse to accept the potential for total failure and unfulfillment. Could be argued that it could lead to disappointment. I argue it's a driver.

Quoting you:
"However, they undoubtedly possess valuable experiences and knowledge due to a long journey of ventures- for most of us. I would not absorb any discouragement because you can't trust it but learn from the NOT-TO-DO things leant in the hard way"

That is a great statement. I agree. Learning from mistakes is a part of the journey. Mistakes help shape the person we become.

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for taking my time with mine.

Bring it on and have a rad one.

Simon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.