Hey guys, I read Mj's book a few months ago but have only gotten around to registering today. The book was awesome and this forum looks awesome as well. This is great, I've always felt that one my greatest limiting factors to success was my limited network of knowledgeable friends and associates, so I'm excited to have people to talk to now.
I've got an awesome opportunity before me that I need to jump on but I don't know where to start. I'll fill everyone in on the basics and maybe some of you guys have some suggestions on readings or personal experiences that relate?
I have a friend that has invented a product, it's patented and is currently being manufactured in China. It has seen some success in North America with next to no sales or marketing directive. A few major retailers (Canadian Tire, Costco) have placed the product on their website and within flyers. My friend has zero business sense and no desire to learn, he's an old, tired, blue collar dude that wants to retire with a few dollars in the bank. So he's basically dropped the entire company in my lap and told me to go nuts and make him and myself some money. There's a loose support network already established, book keeping, manufacturing contacts in China etc.
So where do I start? I've got so many questions it's not even funny. Is there a quality resource out there for first time business owners? I need to start approaching retailers, I need to renegotiate some details regarding manufacturing costs, I need to re examine the price point, determine market size and interest, grasp the best method to market and generate awareness....blah blah I'm swimming right now.
I need to DO WORK and get some studying done, I need to get a grasp on the whole process and start to define a direction, a plan of attack. At the moment I'm kind of just bumping around the internet attempting to soak up whatever useful bits of info I can. I'm an eager idiot with no direction. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I've got an awesome opportunity before me that I need to jump on but I don't know where to start. I'll fill everyone in on the basics and maybe some of you guys have some suggestions on readings or personal experiences that relate?
I have a friend that has invented a product, it's patented and is currently being manufactured in China. It has seen some success in North America with next to no sales or marketing directive. A few major retailers (Canadian Tire, Costco) have placed the product on their website and within flyers. My friend has zero business sense and no desire to learn, he's an old, tired, blue collar dude that wants to retire with a few dollars in the bank. So he's basically dropped the entire company in my lap and told me to go nuts and make him and myself some money. There's a loose support network already established, book keeping, manufacturing contacts in China etc.
So where do I start? I've got so many questions it's not even funny. Is there a quality resource out there for first time business owners? I need to start approaching retailers, I need to renegotiate some details regarding manufacturing costs, I need to re examine the price point, determine market size and interest, grasp the best method to market and generate awareness....blah blah I'm swimming right now.
I need to DO WORK and get some studying done, I need to get a grasp on the whole process and start to define a direction, a plan of attack. At the moment I'm kind of just bumping around the internet attempting to soak up whatever useful bits of info I can. I'm an eager idiot with no direction. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
