The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First app

jdiggidy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 3, 2012
While I've built many iOS and Android apps for enterprise customers in my old slow lane job, this is my first experience with selling software products. As such, I think I've found a pain point to solve for my first product. I've mentioned that I started my company with the original intention of consulting. After reading MJ's book, I loved trying to calculate the value of my company using the formulas provided. The problem was that my 31 year old mind constantly had to refer to the book to remember the math. Thus, I'm preparing FastLaneMath for release by the end of this week. Not sure if I'll sell it for .99 or if I'll support it with adds. Also, keep in mind that this is just a first product, meant especially for those who love to what their assets grow.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jdiggidy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 3, 2012
Also, if the app name causes copyright and trademark concerns, I'll gladly change the name. Suggestions are appreciated. Much thanks!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I wouldnt pay for such an app.

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
Who do you see your potential market as? I think I would prefer desktop software/ use an online tool whilst at my study PC to calculate a company valuation rather than on the fly.

I can not see people coming back to the app and spending a significant amount of time on the application to make more from ad revenue than you would by charging the 99c for it.

This isn't to say that you can't make the app work or criticism just my initial thoughts..

jdiggidy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for the constructive input, Swift. I see your point about it perhaps working better as a desktop application. I tended to run the numbers on my phone because I read the iBook. FYI, this app isn't something I'm basing the future of my company on, it's really just a hurdle I've given myself to feel like I'm making forward motion while I finish my consulting gigs and brainstorm other ideas for apps. I do appreciate the feedback regarding ad based verses paid app, as well. I'll do some thinking on these.

Cheers

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Not that my feelings are hurt, but would you care to elaborate or expound?

People that are serious about their company's valuation will use a detailed excel spreadsheet to calculate it. They wouldn't trust some app to do that. And people who aren't serious don't have a company. So in my opinion it would mostly be a tool to play with for dreamers. I just don't think there is demand for something like this, especially if one has to pay for it. But of course you're free to prove me wrong ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Cold herd, honest truth: Well you would be selling this app to people on the forum because nobody who hasn't read the book would know what the title/function means, so no I don't think you should even attempt this, your market is to small, I know I wouldn't buy it, you might get 10 people to buy it from you (if your lucky)

jdiggidy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 3, 2012
Thanks all for the input. I realize that if I put this app in the market, it will indeed have a small market, as Mike39 points out. If I do release this app, I'll post the App Store link here. As for now, I may table it. At the very least, it's been an informative exercise in learning the iOS SDK much more in depth than I knew before. I've got a few more ideas, and some research to do, it seems. Thanks again, I'm loving this forum more and more.

Nick Johnson

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 17, 2012
USA
As this is your first attempt, make it a free app.. And as u'l get popularity in apps market then you can charge for your apps... The process will be like brand building......

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.