The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finger/Joint pain from typing/working on laptop?

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
anyone else experience this?

I use my laptop 8+ hours a day...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
cut back now. That started happening to me, and because I needed it for work, I kept pushing and pushing. It went from aching little bit too throbbing and being numb for an extended part of the day.

Get Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and a good microphone. I'd get a real microphone, not one of those little headsets. You can get plug-ins for your browsers that make it possible to browse with voice.

What kind of work you do on the computer? If you do programming work I can give you some pointers on getting set up to do a lot of that by voice as well.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Once in awhile I may get a cramp here and there, but I haven't really ever experienced more than that, and I'm on the computer most of the day writing. It may be how you position your wrist. I used to use one of those gel pads that your wrist lays on for the mouse. As well as my key board had a thing on it for my wrist. On my laptop my wrists just lay on the surface. May just be how you position your hands.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Only my right index finger (mouse clicker). I get some nerve pain, and sometimes a tingly feeling in that finger only.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
I had wrist pain some time ago and my fingers got a bit numb/sore. It disappeared after I implemented wrist stretching and strengthening exercises (I googled them).

And I believe one major thing that helped me (only anecdotal evidence), was to keep my hands higher than/level with my elbows while typing.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
Only my right index finger (mouse clicker). I get some nerve pain, and sometimes a tingly feeling in that finger only.
if you switch hands sometimes, that might help. Someone also suggested strengthening exercises. That is helped me also.
If you get dictation software you can also start moving the mouse and just telling your computer to send the click signal by voice. That will probably give your finger enough rest they can start to recover.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
if you switch hands sometimes, that might help. Someone also suggested strengthening exercises. That is helped me also.
If you get dictation software you can also start moving the mouse and just telling your computer to send the click signal by voice. That will probably give your finger enough rest they can start to recover.

Yeah I switch hands sometimes, or start clicking with my middle or ringer fingers instead for a while, but that software sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
I had wrist pain some time ago and my fingers got a bit numb/sore. It disappeared after I implemented wrist stretching and strengthening exercises (I googled them).

And I believe one major thing that helped me (only anecdotal evidence), was to keep my hands higher than/level with my elbows while typing.
can you share what exercises you are using?
I have been doing the mobility exercises on this page http://antranik.org/the-floreio-project/ . I can't do the harder exercises, but the mobility once a pretty good. Especially the shoulder mobility. There are also some wrist warm-up exercises I found very helpful on that same page.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
my main problem is shakiness/fatigue. I use the trackpad on the laptop as my clicker, but just switched to a seperate mouse.

I will definitely try out those exercises.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
can you share what exercises you are using?
I have been doing the mobility exercises on this page http://antranik.org/the-floreio-project/ . I can't do the harder exercises, but the mobility once a pretty good. Especially the shoulder mobility. There are also some wrist warm-up exercises I found very helpful on that same page.

Cool website, thanks for the link, I really like it!
The funny thing is, all my exercises are already included in the videos that the website links to^^
Especially the first video with the kids in the gym class:
  • The wrist stretches in all directions (on the floor)
  • And those weird pushups where you descend from the front of your fists to the back side (02:05). But I do them on my knees and I am bend at the hips because it would be too much pressure for me. And I don´t do it so fast.
One things that isn´t mentioned there and I like to do are novel movements.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.