What's new

Financing: What I've learned so far

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Unscripted!
Joined
Jan 13, 2014
Messages
2,038
Rep Bank
$5,375
User Power: 540%
I'm working on my first large equity raise right now, and it has been an eye-opening new experience. I plan to update on that when the deal is truly done.

For right now, I'm working on my 3rd ABS line with a bank, so thought I'd share a few things I've learned along the way. If anyone has more technical questions, if I can answer them I will, if I can't, well then, I can't :)
  1. Start raising before you need it. If you think you'll be so big in 1 year you'll need more capital to service your customers, start working on your financing package now.
  2. More is not always better. Don't think about just who offers you more money or a lower rate, think about the other terms and how they fit with the commercial realities of your business. Example: had to choose between a 4m line from one bank and a 7m from another. Bank 1 gives you 45 days to turn in monthly financials. Bank 2 gives you 15. You also know that you're going to being doing ERP implement and that it will effect your reporting time for at least the first half of the year. 4m you can use is better than 7m you can't.
  3. Your banker is a customer. Show him the value added you provide, and make good on it. Report on time. Always. Be ready with answers to questions. Know your business. The trust factor with your commercial banker is very important. If it's there, this is someone that can be a huge ally in your future growth.
  4. Be credit worthy. I don't mean have a good credit score. I mean manage your business to the level of accountability that is worthy of the trust someone else places in you by giving you their money, before you're actually on the hook for someone else's money.
  5. Be a organized. Keep a log of all communications you have with bankers, what was said, what documents were sent, etc. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to answer questions and not knowing what the other guy is looking at. Knowing what they have and being ready with an answer before the question comes is a level of professionalism that will set you apart from most other small businesses.
GOOD LUCK!

PS. Would be awesome to hear some experiences others have had and what they've learned.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

vjeplt gus vji huuf opqav;
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom