The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Financing Business

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD
I started financing my business with money I had saved and a loan from my retirement account. The loan is at a 2.75%, which is pretty good compared to personal loans (8-9%) offered by the bank. My business relies on trade of goods so I needed about 45-50k total to invest.
So, for those of you who have needed several thousands of dollars, I am curious about how you guys have financed your business. Have you used Other People's Money (OPM)? If so, what type of OPM was available to you? Any lesson's learned? Did it work out or you regret it? Why? I have not used the credit card yet, but I think that also counts as OPM.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hermitcrab

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 5, 2018
Canada
If you can put some of your own money forward you can probably find funding programs in your area like so (first thing I found):
Funding Programs | Maryland is Open for Business

You need to do some digging usually, call a couple of people and go present your project. Depending on where you are, government might be giving money like if it was nothing (the entire process can be a pain though).

If you don't have the minimum amount of money required by program X (my experience was 15%-25% of the total project's cost) go find an investor or any other OPM options and use that money to upfront the loan offered by funding program X. They usually don't care, some even accept credit lines as a valid upfront option.

Also check if your bank (or any bank) has some loan options where a part of the risk is shared with the government. Better rate and easier to get.

Here's a video listing the many ways to finance your business:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcIRQuCXr0

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.