The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally, I found a need in the market. Your ideas?

Idea threads

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
Hi All,

In the past I've made the mistake of writing a book first, and then seeing if a market exists.
This month I've finished a new book, but this time I'm much more aware of figuring out the market now, rather than hoping.

The book I've written teaches amateur photographers how to take professional quality photos - without having to become a professional photographer! I teach people the 12 most important concepts they need to know to truly understand what camera to buy, the only lenses you really need, what filters you need, how to use 3-point-lighting, etc. Readers will be able to take photos that are pretty close to professional quality. I'm not saying people will be professionals, but they'll know the really important factors stuff that photographers (like me) know and use every day.

I'm very excited about a post I just came across on Reddit. I've included it below...so please check it out.

My question: Do any of you have suggestions on how to best reach this market?
Thank you!
Jeff

----

Thread Title: "How to take great photographs without becoming a photographer?"

"I'm sure reading the title you are all thinking uh duh idiot you can't. That's why photographers are who they are and get paid what they get paid. I honestly value a good photographer and have even hired one twice for duties I needed done extremely well.

BUT, like man millennials these days I like to travel allot and am big on capturing that travel. The problem, I peaked at "cell phone camera" please don't cringe too much. My Nexus 6P takes great photographs. In some cases.

My GF recently got gifted a Nikon D3200 with kit lens and we took it on our trip to Vietnam this summer and as you can imagine the photographs have turned out pretty terrible ha-ha we knew going in with no training that they wouldn't be great but didn't have time to figure the camera out before we left.

I guess at the end of the day is it possible to step up my photography game from phone and get those great shots(honestly mainly for social media) without becoming a photographer..."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlexanderCordero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 10, 2016
Hi All,

In the past I've made the mistake of writing a book first, and then seeing if a market exists.
This month I've finished a new book, but this time I'm much more aware of figuring out the market now, rather than hoping.

The book I've written teaches amateur photographers how to take professional quality photos - without having to become a professional photographer! I teach people the 12 most important concepts they need to know to truly understand what camera to buy, the only lenses you really need, what filters you need, how to use 3-point-lighting, etc. Readers will be able to take photos that are pretty close to professional quality. I'm not saying people will be professionals, but they'll know the really important factors stuff that photographers (like me) know and use every day.

I'm very excited about a post I just came across on Reddit. I've included it below...so please check it out.

My question: Do any of you have suggestions on how to best reach this market?
Thank you!
Jeff

----

Thread Title: "How to take great photographs without becoming a photographer?"

"I'm sure reading the title you are all thinking uh duh idiot you can't. That's why photographers are who they are and get paid what they get paid. I honestly value a good photographer and have even hired one twice for duties I needed done extremely well.

BUT, like man millennials these days I like to travel allot and am big on capturing that travel. The problem, I peaked at "cell phone camera" please don't cringe too much. My Nexus 6P takes great photographs. In some cases.

My GF recently got gifted a Nikon D3200 with kit lens and we took it on our trip to Vietnam this summer and as you can imagine the photographs have turned out pretty terrible ha-ha we knew going in with no training that they wouldn't be great but didn't have time to figure the camera out before we left.

I guess at the end of the day is it possible to step up my photography game from phone and get those great shots(honestly mainly for social media) without becoming a photographer..."

Hi Jeff,

Here are my thoughts... Take your book content and turn it into a web course use similar to what my buddy Jules has done with iphoneVideoHero.com. Heck purchase his product and funnel hack him....

If you feel bad about funnel hacking Jules - he also has a course to teach you how to create and promote a web course / membership business.

What is more important is ACTION. Jules websites are NOT the most amazing looking websites but get the job done. His content and lessons are SOLID.

Jules had a perfect model to follow and help you accelerate in your fastlane.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Good job on finding a need!
Take your book content and turn it into a web course
I would advice the same. I am photographing as well, but I would not purchase a book. I need to see what the author means. That means (for me) pictures to see the steps and videos to show the process.
Example: If you are trying to explain iso to a beginner, it would be easier/more memorable to see dark picture with low iso and the bright yet grainy picture with high iso.

But that might be just me, other people can think different :)

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
Hi Jeff,

Here are my thoughts... Take your book content and turn it into a web course use similar to what my buddy Jules has done with iphoneVideoHero.com. Heck purchase his product and funnel hack him....

If you feel bad about funnel hacking Jules - he also has a course to teach you how to create and promote a web course / membership business.

What is more important is ACTION. Jules websites are NOT the most amazing looking websites but get the job done. His content and lessons are SOLID.

Jules had a perfect model to follow and help you accelerate in your fastlane.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about your friend and his websites. It is very generous of you. I'm glad to know that he's having success, and I really like your idea that I take my book content and turn it into a web course.

I'm going to start this soon, and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I really appreciate your help. It means a lot.

Jeff

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
784%
May 5, 2014
How did you test and ensure there is a need for that out of curiosity?

Just interested in hearing about your process of interpreting it!

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
Good job on finding a need!

I would advice the same. I am photographing as well, but I would not purchase a book. I need to see what the author means. That means (for me) pictures to see the steps and videos to show the process.
Example: If you are trying to explain iso to a beginner, it would be easier/more memorable to see dark picture with low iso and the bright yet grainy picture with high iso.

But that might be just me, other people can think different :)

Ika - thank you for your encouragement.
I really appreciate your idea to show the steps in pictures and and videos.
That makes a lot of sense to use imagery to teach something as visual as photography.

I will search out ways to provide pictures to show key concepts.
Again, thanks for taking the time to share your ideas.

Jeff

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
How did you test and ensure there is a need for that out of curiosity?

Just interested in hearing about your process of interpreting it!

Hi Envision,

I only found one person who expressed a need for what I have created. I haven't formally tested it out, and I'm hoping that though only one person posted the question, others may have the same question, and all of them will find my book valuable to their photo learning.

Maybe this will work, and maybe it won't. I feel like an author or creator has to move forward even though both success and failure are possibilities! There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to create the best quality product possible and let the market decide. The market gives hints if we watch and listen.

I'm really appreciative to all who have replied to my post.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.