The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fight The Spam! Bring Forth The Poop!

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
So I've been seeing this type of spam post pop up occasionally, and I have no idea what it links to, nor do I want to find out. It's the same link every time, written in Korean, from different accounts, and I think posting relatively the same time every day.

I'm just wondering, don't we have an onboarding process that should prevent this? I remember signing up for the forum a while back, and I had to write a short blurb on why I should be let in, and someone had to manually approve it. Is that still here?

1699153730042.png
1699153768643.png

Can someone enlighten me as to what's up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

joeythemathchad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 4, 2023
So I've been seeing this type of spam post pop up occasionally, and I have no idea what it links to, nor do I want to find out. It's the same link every time, written in Korean, from different accounts, and I think posting relatively the same time every day.

I'm just wondering, don't we have an onboarding process that should prevent this? I remember signing up for the forum a while back, and I had to write a short blurb on why I should be let in, and someone had to manually approve it. Is that still here?

View attachment 52271
View attachment 52272

i have also seen it . boring and disgusting robot ad

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

View attachment 52271
View attachment 52272

Yeah, it seems to be some kind of concerted attack. I'm sure MJ's on it. We'll just have to endure for now.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm sure we've all noticed the Korean spam flooding the site at the moment, but whilst MJ is trying to sort this out I think we can fight it by simply upping the legit content on the forum. Even if you can't think of anything to post, try and answer other posts as your replies will push the spam out of sight.

In the meantime @MJ DeMarco, this has given me an idea for additional features for the forum, which I know you've been working on recently. I understand you are somewhat restricted by the software used, but would it be possible to implement an auto ban via the poop emoji?

I'm thinking we see the spam, give it a dollop of poop and that insta-auto-bans the perp. I don't think this would catch normal users, but even if it did, it would be quick to rectify. Maybe have it so the newer the account, the less poop it would take to instigate an auto ban.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I'm sure we've all noticed the Korean spam flooding the site at the moment, but whilst MJ is trying to sort this out I think we can fight it by simply upping the legit content on the forum. Even if you can't think of anything to post, try and answer other posts as your replies will push the spam out of sight.

In the meantime @MJ DeMarco, this has given me an idea for additional features for the forum, which I know you've been working on recently. I understand you are somewhat restricted by the software used, but would it be possible to implement an auto ban via the poop emoji?

I'm thinking we see the spam, give it a dollop of poop and that insta-auto-bans the perp. I don't think this would catch normal users, but even if it did, it would be quick to rectify. Maybe have it so the newer the account, the less poop it would take to instigate an auto ban.
That's a fair idea.

Sad that these spammers are out to ruin things for people.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I arrived in Korea the day the spam started, I thought I’d accidentally unlocked the Korean section of the forum, I know tmf was translated to Korean

Lolz! You have a lot to answer for!!

Gotta love a funny coincidence.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These are automated bot spammers that have been very good with their implementation, randomized IPs, random usernames, and random email address. Blocking one does nothing as 5 more join.

I've instituted several honey-pots to trap them, but they foiled those attempts last night.

Nice little game of cat and mouse.

I adjusted some things.

I know tmf was translated to Korean

Apparently the book is a huge hit in Korea, like RDPD level, far more popular than in US or AU.

I remember signing up for the forum a while back, and I had to write a short blurb on why I should be let in

Because I used to approve each new user.

Setting the forum to "manual approval" for new users is a solution, but it puts the brakes on any legitimate users from immediately contributing as they can't strike while the iron is hot. This setting basically reduces any likelihood of new user engagement, but it is a temporary bandaid. And of course, Xenforo offers no such spam customization features where I can systematically block out these spammers, or minimally, turn on "manual approval" overnight only.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
These are automated bot spammers that have been very good with their implementation, randomized IPs, random usernames, and random email address. Blocking one does nothing as 5 more join.

I've instituted several honey-pots to trap them, but they foiled those attempts last night.

I adjusted some things.

Apparently the book is a huge hit in Korea, like RDPD level, far more popular than in US or AU.

Setting the forum to "manual approval" for new users is a solution, but it puts the brakes on any legitimate users from immediately contributing as they can't strike while the iron is hot. This setting basically reduces any likelihood of new user engagement, but it is a temporary bandaid. And of course, Xenforo offers no such spam customization features where I can systematically block out these spammers, or minimally, turn on "manual approval" overnight only.
Ahh the love of Cybersecurity.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

I adjusted some things.

Could you do something like add a small fee to sign up for new users? Like a few cents.

Or make new users watch this video (they should anyway) and answer a 5-10 question survey about it?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLss756V2sc

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Their return of investment for spamming the forum must be very low, if not zero. Most of the people here are not dumb enough to click on something like this.

I hope they will make this conclusion too, and will redirect their effort towards something more mainstream like Reddit or Twitter.

vladikcm

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 2, 2022
Spain

I adjusted some things.

Have you tried using Cloudflare?
I know when people sold NFTs at the peak of bull market, they started to implement CloudFlare to avoid DDoS attacks with bots and spam to their websites.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.