The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fiddybuck.com, or, The Cart Before the Horse

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Some time back, I bought the domain names fiddybuck.com, fittybuck.com, and fiftybuck.com. I figured it was a good play on the name 50cent, and it's memorable without crossing any trademark boundaries. :icon_super:

The plan was to offer three things on fiddybuck: Services wanted and offered for $50 (think fiverr x 10), classifieds where the ONLY price point you could ask is $50, and new merchandise for $50.

It completely disregards the normal rules for niche marketing. It serves a pricepoint, not a niche.

I've been hesitant to do much with it since getting it because I don't know how to evaluate the potential. I like the name and figure anyone that hears it will remember it. Is that enough? Why would someone go to fiddybuck for a purchase when they've got eBay, Amazon, Craigslist at their disposal?

If you've got any ideas what I could do with the domain name, I'd be interested to hear it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Well, stuff like SEO, Social Media, Online Marketing etc. are not things you get off of Amazon, Ebay and Craigslist. You could also sell things in quantity for $50 E.x.: $50 worth of toothpaste

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

Still, what would drive someone to go to fiddybuck to buy $50 of toothpaste (for instance)? If I could do a "Screaming Deals" section, deep discounted items for $50, that might be a good reason to return. Kind of like Woot, but at a fixed price point.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I can think of a lot of services that could be provided for $50, in fact lots of stuff on Fiverr actually costs $20-$50 bucks with all of the addons you can do. I think it would be much easier to market to business and internet based services rather than anyone and everyone like fiverr (just because I would be much more open to spending $50 on my business than on something in my personal life) but you may be able to attract your average Joe as well. I'm thinking services like squeeze page creation, high quality sales videos, bug fixes on websites/apps and the name is catchy as well, I like fiddybuck best out of the 3. Sounds like an interesting idea, hope it goes somewhere I may even become a customer ;)

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Thanks Mike, I hadn't thought of trying to make this B2B. That's a good angle.

I got all domain names so they'd point to fiddybuck. I agree, fiddybuck is the best of the lot.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
Good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

Still, what would drive someone to go to fiddybuck to buy $50 of toothpaste (for instance)? If I could do a "Screaming Deals" section, deep discounted items for $50, that might be a good reason to return. Kind of like Woot, but at a fixed price point.

Same people that participate in extreme couponing would....And yes, there are tons of people who do that. Just for the sake of a good buy...

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I can think of a lot of services that could be provided for $50, in fact lots of stuff on Fiverr actually costs $20-$50 bucks with all of the addons you can do. I think it would be much easier to market to business and internet based services rather than anyone and everyone like fiverr (just because I would be much more open to spending $50 on my business than on something in my personal life) but you may be able to attract your average Joe as well. I'm thinking services like squeeze page creation, high quality sales videos, bug fixes on websites/apps and the name is catchy as well, I like fiddybuck best out of the 3. Sounds like an interesting idea, hope it goes somewhere I may even become a customer ;)

Edit: Just read Mr. Scholes post and in my opinion personally, I think the internet and marketing stuff is much more marketable than $50 worth of toothpaste. Unless you would want to be like a middle man between wholesalers and retailers but there already is a lot of that in the market already like alibaba or you could model it like the Costco of the internet... just brainstorming :)

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Edit: Just read Mr. Scholes post and in my opinion personally, I think the internet and marketing stuff is much more marketable than $50 worth of toothpaste. Unless you would want to be like a middle man between wholesalers and retailers but there already is a lot of that in the market already like alibaba or you could model it like the Costco of the internet... just brainstorming :)

So, you suggest focusing on the fiverr x 10 aspect?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well, stuff like SEO, Social Media, Online Marketing etc. are not things you get off of Amazon, Ebay and Craigslist. You could also sell things in quantity for $50 E.x.: $50 worth of toothpaste

Oh yea I am liking this one!

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX

I didn't mean just boring things like toothpaste, but any quantity of anything worth $50, from magazines to earphones.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I didn't mean just boring things like toothpaste, but any quantity of anything worth $50, from magazines to earphones.

I know, I get it. Bulk sales at $50 is a perfectly valid option, and one I hadn't considered. Don't y'all get warm and fuzzy sharing ideas?

D

DeletedUser2

I like the idea of Fiver x10 but for professional services. think accountants, attys, CPA.s chiropractors, massage ect. they could use it as a discounted LEAD Gen like some people on fivver do.

I have hired several fivvers who went on to do 200 dollars worth of work for me. the 5 was just lead Gen for them.

Get an atty to comment on your case. 50- bucks, get a Biz start up package from a cpa 50 bucks.

you wont get the attys to fivver. but you could for 50

say get a opion on your divorce 50 bucks.

or go the more street route, with fiddy, i would say , get yoru car stereo installed fiddy bucks. Get your rims detailed fiddy bucks.
Get your Glock cleaned fiddy bucks.

you get the idea. its worth exploring.

Z

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I love Fiverr; I have gotten some really cool services from that site. I like the idea of a site where everything costs fifty dollars. Are you thinking of limiting it to just services?

fiddybuck.com is my favorite of the three.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I love Fiverr; I have gotten some really cool services from that site. I like the idea of a site where everything costs fifty dollars. Are you thinking of limiting it to just services?

fiddybuck.com is my favorite of the three.

I'd have three different offerings:

1) Services offered and Services wanted (fiverr x 10)
2) Buy & sell classifieds, $50 only
3) New merchandise, $50 only

The front page is hugely important because websites usually have one specific focus. Visitors must recognize right away this isn't just a services, or just a classifieds, or just an ecommerce site. It's a playground for people that want to play with $50.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
It's a playground for people that want to play with $50.

Love it! I agree that the front page is important, too. I am thinking of a simple interface where you have big "buttons", maybe 2" x 2 1/2" where you lay out your three different offerings.

That way, they'll enter the site with a clear knowledge of their options.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a big pie with three sections, three doors, three theme park entrances.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I recall there was a website serving as a portal for stores to sell off their clearance items. It was a membership site, which gave a sense of elitism. If you weren't a member, you didn't get access to the sale. So, people get deep discounts on merchandise, retailers unload their underperforming stock quick, and the website gets a thin slice of all of it. Could be another angle for fiddybuck.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
You could also do something like appsumo and offer daily deals on templates, SEO tools, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.