The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback for an app idea

Idea threads

thebeardlysoft

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 31, 2019
Hey everyone,

Looking for some feedback for an app idea I had while browsing reddit one day. Someone mentioned mentioned something about wanting an app to streamline contact information exchange. Use something like NFC or a QR code to make it quick with pre-filled to info that can be easily added to your phones contacts.

The basic portion would probably be free but then add some premium features like being able to uses an AR or virtual business card.

I know at least one person that would find this useful and so that certainly means there must be others right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
It reminds me of the Joel Spolsky's rant about the CueCat 19 years ago, Wasting Money on Cats

The problem is exactly the same, the chicken-and-egg problem. Why on earth would someone create a QR code and carry it around, when nobody else uses this app, and then typing the phone manually takes 5 seconds? The fact is, you need to have a real conversation prior to exchanging contact info, or it's of little use. So for a 15-minute conversation, a 5-second effort to enter the number is not worth automating.
Furthermore, the people who do need such a rapid contact exchange for whatever reason, can just print some business cards on Vistaprint.

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
Have a QR code that links to a vCard (.vcf file). Any modern phone can handle that smoothly.

thebeardlysoft

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 31, 2019
It reminds me of the Joel Spolsky's rant about the CueCat 19 years ago, Wasting Money on Cats

The problem is exactly the same, the chicken-and-egg problem. Why on earth would someone create a QR code and carry it around, when nobody else uses this app, and then typing the phone manually takes 5 seconds? The fact is, you need to have a real conversation prior to exchanging contact info, or it's of little use. So for a 15-minute conversation, a 5-second effort to enter the number is not worth automating.
Furthermore, the people who do need such a rapid contact exchange for whatever reason, can just print some business cards on Vistaprint.

Very true. I was it would be more like an e business card with everything pre filled out, links to website, LinkedIn, email address or any other pertinent info. But twist you say makes sense, would need a better problem for it to solve.

D

Deleted50669

Hey everyone,

Looking for some feedback for an app idea I had while browsing reddit one day. Someone mentioned mentioned something about wanting an app to streamline contact information exchange. Use something like NFC or a QR code to make it quick with pre-filled to info that can be easily added to your phones contacts.

The basic portion would probably be free but then add some premium features like being able to uses an AR or virtual business card.

I know at least one person that would find this useful and so that certainly means there must be others right?

thebeardlysoft

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 31, 2019
It does exist! Well thanks for pointing this out. I searched around a bit but seemed to have missed this. I will have to tinker with it and see what could be improved.

D

Deleted50669

It does exist! Well thanks for pointing this out. I searched around a bit but seemed to have missed this. I will have to tinker with it and see what could be improved.
A good rule of thumb is if you see groups of people discussing an idea that should be obvious, there's a very good chance it has been done, or is in the process of being done. Not always, but usually.

D

Deleted50669

I should add, even it it's been done, that doesn't mean dont look into it. The fact that you didnt know it exists means the current options clearly arent good at marketing, for example.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.