The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlaners! What are your methods to crushing the second half of the day?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Would love to hear everyones strategies for crushing the day.

Currently I work from wake until around midday in a nice period of deep work and focus - perfect! However, once past around 1pm I get a feeling of overwhelm, I can't focus to save my life, and find myself not getting a single thing done. Maybe I need a period of relaxation to 'reset'?

What do you do to kickstart that second period of the day?

note: I eat keto as well as IF - I don't consume caffeine as I just zoom around doing a whole lot of nothing (I go completely ADD).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Eat/drink better food that gives you energy rather than make you sleepy.

Eating small portions throughout the day rather than one large meal around lunchtime also helps.

Also make sure your getting enough sleep.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Eat/drink better food that gives you energy rather than make you sleepy.

Eating small portions throughout the day rather than one large meal around lunchtime also helps.

Also make sure your getting enough sleep.

I don't eat any sugar/dairy/gluten, I have a very strict diet of fresh meat and veg.

This crash also comes before my first meal and I am eating no carbs so it's not carb crash.

Sleep I get 8-9 hours a night sleeping and waking at the same time 7 days a week w/ sleep mask and ear plugs.

Ritchie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
May 9, 2018
I sleep. :) Only on days I feel like I need it, and usually between 45 to 60 minutes. I completely understand if it sounds a bit weird, but it's actually back-upped by science that "power naps" increase productivity as well as mental health. It may not be for you, but it's worth looking into it I think.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

However, once past around 1pm I get a feeling of overwhelm, I can't focus to save my life, and find myself not getting a single thing done. Maybe I need a period of relaxation to 'reset'?

I personally experience the same slump after mid-day. During this time I'll switch tasks to something just as productive, but not necessarily work-related.

Some Examples:
-Hit the Gym & Lift Heavy
-Hit the Hot Tub, Call Family & Catch Up
-Hiking (Get some fresh air and letting mind wander)
-Nap If I didn't sleep well
-Reading

9 times out of 10, I can come back full-force to my work recharged and ready for a second wind. Sometimes you just have to change focus.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I sleep. :) Only on days I feel like I need it, and usually between 45 to 60 minutes. I completely understand if it sounds a bit weird, but it's actually back-upped by science that "power naps" increase productivity as well as mental health. It may not be for you, but it's worth looking into it I think.

Napping in the day is definitely something I have been toying with. Saw a TED talk on it's merits and the science was pretty convincing.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Usually it's COFFEE! Because its easy and always available. But it has a downside.

More positive methods for me:
> Breathing exercises
> Cold shower
> Exercises - to get a blood pump and stretch a bit.

But the best way is - when you do something you love and you are totally "IN IT", then you lose a time and space and usually some inner resources kicks in, so no additional things is needed :)

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
No one runs at 100% the entire day.

Your mental and physical capacities are going to drain by the hour, and more significantly as the hours wear on.

However, eating healthy, drinking lots of water, small breaks and exercise can help prolong your productivity.

I think how you structure your time is most important. You want to accomplish your most critical tasks first thing, and save the trivial things for later in the day. The little stuff that requires less energy and focus.

If you ensure that you do the important stuff when you’re full of energy and focus, even if that’s only 6 hours of the day, over the course of a month you will have accomplished more than if you were to attempt to go full throttle all of your waking hours with no rhyme or reason to the order in which you complete tasks.

I go to my job first thing, but I still use the same concept, even though it’s at the end of the day.

At the end of the day when everything else is said and done, I’m left with ~ 3-4 hours to work on my business.

So with my allotted time I bang out the most impactful tasks first, and as I become more tired and mistake prone I move on to trivial things like setting up tomorrow’s to-do’s, learning/reading, firing off emails, etc.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Check your caffeine intake.

Caffeine is a drug and it can be abused. Research adrenal fatigue. A common symptom is low energy mid-day, but the morning and evening is fine (caused by the cycling of the adrenal glands and your body's ability to regulate cortisol)

I struggled with adrenal fatigue for a long time without realizing what it was. Seems most doc's don't believe it exists either.

Other causes:

Caffeine abuse
Nicotine abuse
Sugar abuse
High stress
Lack of sleep
Low carb diets
Extreme levels of exercise (I've done this often. Lift 15-20 hours a week and I crash hard)
Dehydration

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Seems like a lot of you recomend to do the most important tasks first thing in the morning.
This is more than logical of course, but i always assumed that the energy gained after a good workout will help one to have enough focus trough the rest of the day.

After two hours gym in the morning I really feel great but since there is only one and half hour left till lunch I'm not committing myself to important issues and waisting more valuable hours to trivial stuff.

After eating a lite lunch I start working on the important tasks what needs to get done. But to be honest there's a lack of energy and focus.

It seems to me that the best thing to do, or at least try for a six weeks and then evaluate is to:

Get up like always at 07 AM
Healthy breakfast
Start working on the most important task (follow a to do list according progress yesterday)
Eat a lite lunch
Go to the gym at 01 PM and workout for a two hours.
Then at home use the gained energy to get even more things done.

Although I assume that I'm eating healthy, I think I can also make some more changes in my diet like maybe try gluten free or buy my meat at the local butcher instead of the supermarket (seems logical but I'm very easy stuck in habits)

I'm not sure what changes I have to make concerning my diet or if I'm on the right track concerning my daily schedule (probably am) but like to hear from others what their experiences are.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I'm most productive in the early morning so I usually wake up no later than at 6 am (usually 5:30) and work until around 11 am. My productivity and quality of work is on most days noticeably worse when working in the afternoon, so I make sure that I get the most important task(s) done in the morning.

If I manage to put in some additional work in the afternoon, great. If not, my day is still productive.

Perhaps that's what you can do as well. It's better to work four hours a day, but with 100% focus (if it's creative work, I don't think it's possible to consistently work for more than 3-4 hours a day anyway), than work eight hours and then have to fix mistakes or do the same tasks again the next day just because they aren't up to your standards. The former is also more sustainable than the latter (spending too much time working in a suboptimal mental state will burn you out).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.