Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong section I'm posting in, but I am completely new here, I just started reading MFL a couple days ago, and I love it so far.
So for starters, I'll explain a little bit about me. I currently am 18, living in Canada, near Toronto, I graduated from high school about 10 months ago, and I've been doing 2D and 3D art for almost 3 years now. In the 11th grade I landed my first 3D gig doing contract work for a German independent developer, and the game we worked on is now one of the top 20 highest rated iOS games of 2014. I've also landed some smaller 3D and 2D jobs, but the issue is that making money isn't exactly consistent.
I almost fell into the trap of attending an art school because I let people grab a hold of my steering wheel, and steer my life in the direction they wanted it to go. School is relatively cheap in Canada compared to the US, but spending a full 4 years and being in 20,000 dollars of debt for a piece of paper that isn't even required for getting a job in this industry isn't something I'm really interested in doing. Right now I'm currently living at home with my parents, bringing in pennies doing art jobs here and there, but the first few chapters of MFL have really opened my eyes and made me realize I don't need to settle for a tiny pay check, and that I can do something bigger with my life.
As I've read time and time again, becoming am millionaire isn't something that is just handed to you, you need to work for it. Since I have quite a significant amount of experience with doing game development and art, would it be unreasonable to find a fastlane in the games/mobile app industry? I've been thinking to myself about how foreign manufacturing of products, marketing, and business in general is to me, but when I think of game development, its a road I've been down, it's something I have experience doing. That isn't to say I couldn't learn to get into manufacturing and selling of physical products, but I have something I can work with in my hands now so I figure I should try to do something related to game development.
Is there anyone on here who is in the game development industry, or has made a buttload of money doing so? My real life goal is to become financially independent so that I can sit around and do art all day for fun.
Most of my days consist of self-teaching art, reading, and wasting time on the internet, so I'm sorta calling myself out on that. I need to manage my time more effectively and treat it as a serious thing.
Sorry if anything I've asked here is a stupid question, I'm just trying to break into this and I suppose I could do that by finishing the book first. I appreciate any help I get from you guys! Thanks for taking the time to read this.
EDIT: I forgot one more question, should I pursue and become more successful at doing art, and getting a stable job first for money at the cost of a lot of my free time so that I have money to invest in a future business, or would it make more sense to stay self employed with a ton of free time and to study my a$$ off but with a lot less money to work with?
Cheers
So for starters, I'll explain a little bit about me. I currently am 18, living in Canada, near Toronto, I graduated from high school about 10 months ago, and I've been doing 2D and 3D art for almost 3 years now. In the 11th grade I landed my first 3D gig doing contract work for a German independent developer, and the game we worked on is now one of the top 20 highest rated iOS games of 2014. I've also landed some smaller 3D and 2D jobs, but the issue is that making money isn't exactly consistent.
I almost fell into the trap of attending an art school because I let people grab a hold of my steering wheel, and steer my life in the direction they wanted it to go. School is relatively cheap in Canada compared to the US, but spending a full 4 years and being in 20,000 dollars of debt for a piece of paper that isn't even required for getting a job in this industry isn't something I'm really interested in doing. Right now I'm currently living at home with my parents, bringing in pennies doing art jobs here and there, but the first few chapters of MFL have really opened my eyes and made me realize I don't need to settle for a tiny pay check, and that I can do something bigger with my life.
As I've read time and time again, becoming am millionaire isn't something that is just handed to you, you need to work for it. Since I have quite a significant amount of experience with doing game development and art, would it be unreasonable to find a fastlane in the games/mobile app industry? I've been thinking to myself about how foreign manufacturing of products, marketing, and business in general is to me, but when I think of game development, its a road I've been down, it's something I have experience doing. That isn't to say I couldn't learn to get into manufacturing and selling of physical products, but I have something I can work with in my hands now so I figure I should try to do something related to game development.
Is there anyone on here who is in the game development industry, or has made a buttload of money doing so? My real life goal is to become financially independent so that I can sit around and do art all day for fun.
Most of my days consist of self-teaching art, reading, and wasting time on the internet, so I'm sorta calling myself out on that. I need to manage my time more effectively and treat it as a serious thing.
Sorry if anything I've asked here is a stupid question, I'm just trying to break into this and I suppose I could do that by finishing the book first. I appreciate any help I get from you guys! Thanks for taking the time to read this.
EDIT: I forgot one more question, should I pursue and become more successful at doing art, and getting a stable job first for money at the cost of a lot of my free time so that I have money to invest in a future business, or would it make more sense to stay self employed with a ton of free time and to study my a$$ off but with a lot less money to work with?
Cheers
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
