The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Audiobook, 10th Anniversary

A post of a ranting nature...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Please allow me to rant...

Currently I'm having TMF re-narrated for the 10th Anniversary Edition.

At Audible, TMF does very well and has THOUSANDS OF REVIEWS.

Apparently, in order to update TMF at Audible, they want me to DELETE the old version, and yes, ALL OF ITS REVIEWS, and just upload the new version.... like it was a brand new book. Zero reviews. Zero algorithm suggestions. Zero "also boughts" exposures. In other words, the book goes from highly recommended and highly visible, to a piece of invisible self-published trash. Financially speaking, it likely means I kill Audible as my biggest revenue channel.

And I guarantee you, this is NOT how big publishers are treated, erasing 1000's of reviews.

Obviously I'm not sure I'm willing to take this risk.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately the only thing you can do is create a new listing and yes, it'll be treated as a new product.

But at least this way you can keep the old version live as well. Though if I were you, I'd also be very scared of losing an income stream as I'm not sure how this would affect purchases and your ranking.

Another option is to offer the updated audiobook as a bonus. For anyone who buys the audiobook you'll include a link where they can download the updated version. But this won't be a particularly smooth experience.

It sucks but you've known for a long time how the publishing industry is stacked against independent authors despite the "self-publishing" revolution.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But at least this way you can keep the old version live as well.

No I can't. I have to delete the audiobook in order to get the new one live. Deletion of the audiobook deletes the reviews.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
No I can't. I have to delete the audiobook in order to get the new one live. Deletion of the audiobook deletes the reviews.

How were you able to not lose the ebook and print listing when you updated the book?

If that worked (according to Amazon TOS any substantial changes require a new ASIN) then it's possible you can keep asking for another Audible rep until you get someone who will replace the files for you without having to remove the listing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How were you able to not lose the ebook and print listing when you updated the book?

I think it's because I didn't create a new ISBN, I just uploaded the new edition under the same ISBN.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I think it's because I didn't create a new ISBN, I just uploaded the new edition under the same ISBN.

That would be considered breaking Amazon's rules but since they don't check it as they do with Audible it's easy to fly under the radar.

I'd email Audible at least a few times more, perhaps ask to speak with an account manager or someone like that and see if you can convince them to replace the current files. The low level customer reps are terrible as they only do copy and paste.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.