The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastest way to Soft Proof/Put out a App?

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
I want to put out a app which end goal would help others connect better than most of the apps I see today.

It's a just a basic ui and design, but the end goal and usability is as simple as twitter or pof.

I'm wondering, what's the fastest/quickest way I could test or put it out? My intentions is to find if there is a strong need/demand, and then adjust accordingly.

Just wondering how much would it cost (App Store dev license, aws for storage, google play dev account, etc). I can design a great ui model, but programming wise, I'd have to get help.

Just wondering how to go about it, and market to get it out?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Best way to test things out would be to get the app finished & ready to go.

Offer it for free & see if people download it.

If people start downloading it then you know its something that people actually want.

You will have to put on your marketing hat so that you can get peoples attention. And then, get people to spread the word after you get their attention.

From there, you can find ways to monetize it.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Best way to test things out would be to get the app finished & ready to go.

Offer it for free & see if people download it.

If people start downloading it then you know its something that people actually want.

You will have to put on your marketing hat so that you can get peoples attention. And then, get people to spread the word after you get their attention.

From there, you can find ways to monetize it.

How much of an investment would I have to make to do that? And could placing an ad at the bottom of the screen be a revenue model for now?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I want to put out a app which end goal would help others connect better than most of the apps I see today.

It's a just a basic ui and design, but the end goal and usability is as simple as twitter or pof.

I'm wondering, what's the fastest/quickest way I could test or put it out? My intentions is to find if there is a strong need/demand, and then adjust accordingly.

Just wondering how much would it cost (App Store dev license, aws for storage, google play dev account, etc). I can design a great ui model, but programming wise, I'd have to get help.

Just wondering how to go about it, and market to get it out?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!

Hadrian here with some advice as I set up an app company a while back and learned a few hard lessons. While I'm still a noob myself I do know enough to tell you that an app like that will require a backend so you're looking at 5k straight away and that figure will probably rise substantially as a social networking app needs a really nice UI and UX (User Interface and Experience). These cost money to do right! And if it does take off you'll have to factor in Server costs etc.

The best advice is to try to make a web based app first... far less expensive and you could test it out with a sample audience. Follow MJ's advice on the MVP in Unscripted ! If you are going all out then go iOS first.. as its one standard code and platform! Avoid Android as there are about 5 million devices.. and Android users don't like paying for stuff generally! iOS users will pay far more easily if the product is good! Apple dev. license €100 annually, Android: €25, Amazon: Free! :)

The Hard Truth: Making an app is about 10% of the work! Marketing it is the other 90%. No matter how good it is!

Ps the easiest way to do an app is actually an iOS Sticker app... you can do it all through the Free Mac Software Xcode! The second way is to buy some code on Flippa etc. and reskin it!

Hope this helps a little....

Hadrian

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
@LamboKing as @Hadrian suggested above, your best bet might be to create a web app first. Probably cheaper and easier to get up and running quickly.

Another option is to create a prototype. If you are good with the UI and design, you could create an Invision Prototype and use something like UserTesting.com to have people check it out and give you feedback.

Now, this will give you general feedback on the UI and how things work, but people might also let you know how they feel about the product overall. Could be an easy and quick way to validate the general idea.

You won't really have full on feedback or an idea if you are on the right track or not until you actually release.

I have some vast experience in apps as my current career/role, so happy to help as needed!

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Good Call on the Prototype JRamos! I use Proto.io myself to make interactive prototypes you can practice with on your phone or send to pthers to play with!

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Find a customer that has a problem that your solution will solve. Then sketch out an idea using whatever you have (e.g. draw it on a napkin / use invisionapp / do an interpretive dance). Understand how big the problem is and what it's worth to the customer to solve.

TLDR: Talk to your audience before you craft a solution

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Basically he said he nerded out on the first app he made, by making it without market confirmation of any kind.

So for the second one, he didn't even make an app, he just made a 3 page landing page funnel about the non-existing new app, with the last page being 'We're still working on it' and an email opt-in, which he then drove traffic to. He got "hurry up" confirmation, and also personally emailed those who opted-in, asking them "what would you want it to do?" etc.

He then made it and now he's a millionaire.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Basically he said he nerded out on the first app he made, by making it without market confirmation of any kind.

So for the second one, he didn't even make an app, he just made a 3 page landing page funnel about the non-existing new app, with the last page being 'We're still working on it' and an email opt-in, which he then drove traffic to. He got "hurry up" confirmation, and also personally emailed those who opted-in, asking them "what would you want it to do?" etc.

He then made it and now he's a millionaire.
This is part of the story yes. However, if you read this businessinsider coverage, you will see that he identified a problem that he encountered many times. This gave him some insight into the customer (=himself) and the problem. Based on that, he put together the landing page to validate that there were indeed more customers such as himself.

You don't have a business without sales. I learnt this the hard way. The route should be:
FIND CUSTOMERS => BUILD => SCALE
Instead of:
BUILD => FIND CUSTOMERS => SCALE

What that means is, you need to find a way to attract paying customers and then scale that. Go through the following set of videos to fully understand the process:
http://www.startupsecrets.com/

Never fall for the unicorn marketing stories. It took Dropbox 10 years of growth to where they are today.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
great topic. I think apps and websites that geenrate income are awesome ways to a good business.

Finding the need in the market and executing a good product and then reaching people is all tough but doable.

Would love to learn more

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.