The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Excuse me while I introduce myself ...

rumblestrut

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
May 3, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I'm not even sure how I found the book. Perhaps it found me. I downloaded the free chapters a few weeks ago, but hadn't even looked at them. I've been too busy. Work, family, trading my 5-for-2. You know the drill.

This Easter weekend, we were at my parents house, sitting around, chatting, talking about how our kids obsess about the strangest things. I half-joked "I'm glad I wasn't like that," and my mom reminded me about my youthful obsession.

"You always had posters of Lamborghinis on your wall," she reminded me. "You always said you were going to buy one when you grew up and had enough money."

That comment was all it took for me to do some hard thinking. I bought the book after we returned home and immediately began devouring it.

In 2004, my wife and I started the process of working out way out of debt. We scrimped and saved, working our Slow Lane careers and did pretty well in a short period of time. In a couple of years, we managed to pay off about $20,000 of debt.

Then in 2006 our first daughter was born. My wife, in her wisdom, wanted to get a part-time job and take advantage with as much time as she could with our daughter. "I won't get these years back," she said.

She was right and I begrudgingly agreed. I hated to see that hit on the income, but the reasoning was good.

That was five years ago. We're basically in the same boat (with one more kid) as we were then. She runs a preschool out of our home, and I work full-time. We bought a basic starter house last May and have paid off cars, but we haven't made any progress on our debt. We have a very large amount of student loans left, and except for making the minimum payments on them, we're not progressing.

It would almost seem like we're stuck. But now I see some hope. I'm always thinking of ideas for websites/web products and have an Evernote account filled with them. Plus, I have a buddy who I've been talking to about the book and he's come up with a doozy.

Looks like it's time to get out of the Slow Lane and head into the Fastlane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great intro.

You may want to read Vaynerchuk's Crush It

In it, he talks about how 9-5 is for your job, 5-8 is for your family, and 8-2am is for BUILDING YOUR BUSINESS.

He points out that 6 straight hours, 7 days a week, is a 40 hour week that you're building your biz.

I thought it was a great perspective-- keeping your job so you can pay the bills/feed your family, spend time w/your kids each day (and all day on the weekends), and STILL have a ton of time left to build your biz.

-Russ H.

rumblestrut

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
May 3, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Hi Russ,

Indeed, I have read Crush It. It's great. Sadly, it's only now I'm finally "getting it."

I'm totally on board with the Crush It mentality. I taught myself web development in my spare time after work and during my lunch breaks. Now, I just need to refocus that into developing a business.

Thanks for the reminder!

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Welcome! I'm in a similar boat as you. I have to balance my dayjob, family, and buildiing my business. This is a great community and I'm sure it'll help you keep motivated.

@Russ H Thanks for the book recommendation as well.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Great intro, and welcome to the forum. In a similar position myself, and slowly working my way out, heh :) Hope we can be of some help!

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to the forum man. I hope you stick around and accomplish everything you want to accomplish. You certainly won't be short on people willing to help you around here.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and thanks for the great intro!

KittyWrestler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
May 6, 2011
I remember when I was between jobs, I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week building my website... On the process of going on the fastlane, the work is gruesome... but you are driven by a burning desire to succeed and an enroumous amount of passion that keeps you going.. at the end of the day, my business funded my parent's retirement and they are running it now.. I went back to my corp world but doing a job I actually really love.. I think it's time for me to switch back to the fastlane again.. but those graveyard hours are pretty frightening, especially now I have a child to care for.. But I know once you kick start your engine, you will go down the path and not looking back.. the hard thing to do is to kick start that engine...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...