The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Evaluating Control

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Maybe I have read chapter 32 too many times - I'm having trouble working out the level of control here.

Building a digital marketing agency, you are in control of your staff, in control of your services, in control of which clients you take on, but you are not in control of if those clients stay with you (even if you get them great results), the products they sell and so on.

"You must be the controller of policy and product, and the producer."

So does a productized marketing agency fail the Control test? Does their pricing structure (flat rate per service, commission based, etc) affect this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Maybe I have read chapter 32 too many times - I'm having trouble working out the level of control here.

Building a digital marketing agency, you are in control of your staff, in control of your services, in control of which clients you take on, but you are not in control of if those clients stay with you (even if you get them great results), the products they sell and so on.

"You must be the controller of policy and product, and the producer."

So does a productized marketing agency fail the Control test? Does their pricing structure (flat rate per service, commission based, etc) affect this?

If you own the agency you have control over the business. You will never be in 100% control of clients staying, that's impossible since you can't control other people's decisions. You can do your best to satisfy your customers though and higher their chance of staying customers to the max.

If you control everything that's possible to control, you're fulfilling the control commandment in my opinion.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
You are very rarely in control of if your clients stay with you but there are things you can do with regards to that.

I think the element of control is determined by what you are offering:

If you started an SEO agency, solely offering page 1 rankings, and Google's algo changed, you have zero control over that.

If you are offering 'Etsy Shop Optimization' and Etsy goes bust, you have no control.

If you offer 'digital marketing' then you have complete control over what, where and how you market your clients' product/service

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
If you offer 'digital marketing' then you have complete control over what, where and how you market your clients' product/service
Great reply. I'd thought the same but wanted to be sure - the important aspect is offering the end result, but using whichever methods/channels make the most sense/provide the best value.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.