The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entreprenuerial methods for getting a job.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I know getting a job is not technically fastlane but it is often a necessary evil and can provide you with the ablity to learn an industry or business from the inside on their dime or provide start up capital while you moonlight. Given the current job market I would like to see what ideas or methods others have used to get a job when in need. I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that would benefit from this advise and information given by the people who actually hire.

I am looking to find a developer, rehabber to work for ideally but anything to help build my network would work.

Some ideas are keyword stuffing your resume to hopefull rank higher by the corporate AST screeners obviously without sounding bad. example (instead of financial analysis you could say financial modeling or vise versa depending on what they stress in their add assuming you can do both)

I have been talking to anybody I meet that has anything to do with real estate (networking).
-I have met some interesting people so far with some even more interesting success stories.

I am searching real estate listings for currently rehabed homes etc. to try and identifiy some rehabbers working in my area.
- found one solid lead the other day and I am waiting for more info but I am not sure if I will be able to get intouch with the owner doing the rehabs.

Begin cold calling homebuilders or developers etc. similar to what others have recomended.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
As a University student currently searching for internships this topic is very interesting.
If you attended or attend a University networking with tutors, lecturers, peers and alumni in industry if oft mentioned and effective.
Especially good if you attended a college with alumni who are successful entrepreneurs themselves.
Some may be willing to mentor you, connect you with someone who can give you a role or hire you themselves.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
I just got an internship by emailing a local company here. Found them on the Inc 5000 list (which is a tip that I got from reading the archives of this forum). Browse the Inc 5000 list for all companies in your area, then visit their websites, get their contact information, and ask them if there's any possibility of working/interning for them. Tell them why you like their company and a little about yourself.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would stress on what you can do for the company in your resume more than what you have done. If I had to go look for a job today, my interview would be full of things that I can do vs. before where I stressed my experience.

For example, if I was being interviewed for an SEO company:
Pre-entreprenuer talk: I know how to build links, do on-page stuff, social media, twitter, blah, blah
Post-entreprenuer talk: I can get your site to front page of google by blah, blah, blah. I can create a facebook page and get 100000 likes and increase traffic, etc...

Pre-entreprenuer talk: I am good at drywalling, mudding, I can lay tile, grout, pour a foundation, put up forms, etc...
Post-entreprenuer talk: I can remodel a small bathroom in 2 days which would include, tiled shower surround, new tiled floors, install toilet, redo the plumbing, etc...

I guess it sort of sounds more like a story. You can mention your skills but in a way that puts them all together which shows that you know how the pieces are put in place.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for the great info I have looked at the INC 5000 list but have never looked into working for one. Congrats on your success.

I would stress on what you can do for the company in your resume more than what you have done. If I had to go look for a job today, my interview would be full of things that I can do vs. before where I stressed my experience.

For example, if I was being interviewed for an SEO company:
Pre-entreprenuer talk: I know how to build links, do on-page stuff, social media, twitter, blah, blah
Post-entreprenuer talk: I can get your site to front page of google by blah, blah, blah. I can create a facebook page and get 100000 likes and increase traffic, etc...

Pre-entreprenuer talk: I am good at drywalling, mudding, I can lay tile, grout, pour a foundation, put up forms, etc...
Post-entreprenuer talk: I can remodel a small bathroom in 2 days which would include, tiled shower surround, new tiled floors, install toilet, redo the plumbing, etc...

I guess it sort of sounds more like a story. You can mention your skills but in a way that puts them all together which shows that you know how the pieces are put in place.

This is usually how I approach my interviews but would you do the same thing for your cover letter. I almost always get the job if I can get in front of the decision maker but I have found that to be hard recently. The other problem I have been having is alot of the jobs listed through traditional channels are through either staffing agencies or do not list the company. This makes it hard to for me to narrow down exactly what I can do for them as I do not know their possition in the market or what instruments they invest in.

Thanks

squall74

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Mar 14, 2012
Auburn, WA
What about working as a property manager? You can quickly experience tenant problems that come up, estimate repair work and build a network of contractors that you can call on in the future. Also you can do these things by earning a paycheck, instead of having to pay for the repairs out of your own pocket since you will be an employee. It seems like a great way to learn RE from a slowlane perspective.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
What about working as a property manager? You can quickly experience tenant problems that come up, estimate repair work and build a network of contractors that you can call on in the future. Also you can do these things by earning a paycheck, instead of having to pay for the repairs out of your own pocket since you will be an employee. It seems like a great way to learn RE from a slowlane perspective.

I have been looking into this as well but it seems most of the jobs I see require a lot of experience. It seems the best way in is to start as a leasing consultant which I am considering.

I am still looking to get my first deal done while looking for a job in real estate but I would love to get paid to learn and build valuable connections.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.