The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elance...

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I have a job out on Elance for a Shopify website that I want to have created. I am trying to get someone from the US and I have contacted many from the site- though none have responded. :(

I really want to stay as close to home as possible - where there will not be a language barrier, crazy time zone differences, and all of that. I have received 6 proposals so far. I don't know what to make of how they priced it, and the time it will take to deliver. One offer looks like he will be outsourcing the project to someone else... But other than that--- most are from people in India- the place I am least likely to use above any other abroad place specifically due to the language barrier and time zone difference.

I know someone posted that you should use individual people, instead of companies... or was it companies instead of individual people?! I can't remember. Please tell me if you know.

The 6 proposals for a Shopify site with ONE product:

1. $273.97 India (delivery 3 days)

2. $1,000 India (delivery in 2 weeks)

3. $400 Bermuda (delivery in 2 weeks)

4. $438.36 India (delivery in 1 month)

5. $400 India (delivery in 1 week)

6. $241.10 Bangladesh (delivery in 2 weeks)

I don’t know what to make of this! No one from the US wants to do my site.

When I decided to do this Shopify site someone I highly value (from the forum) told me the cost would probably be about $400 to cover what I want/need. Having that info I set my budget as fixed price project, $500 or less.

Forgetting location:
I feel 1 and 6 are too low- so I won't pick them.. I won't pick 1 again, because if he can do it in 3 days it makes me feel he will rush and it will be sloppy.

I won't choose 2 because I feel he isn't going to be the person doing the work. I think he will pass it off to someone he can pay way less to (who won't be as skilled as him) and he will keep majority of the funds.

I won't pick 4 because he needs one month to create a page with 1 product?! But he is an expert at doing this?!... what will require so much time?!

3 seems like the right one... It shows he has done work- but only $1,175 worth... Yet he has done 10 jobs... So that throws me off. Did he charge $117 per job?!

How do you guys select someone to design a website for you?

In case you are wondering what I asked for... this is my listing:

Hello!
I am looking for someone to create an up to date design for my Shopify site.

*Please go in and create a custom 404 page while waiting for completion of the actual site.

1.Attach my domain name to it.
2. Embed a video.
3. Set up customer contact form.
4. Add payment options.
5. Upload pictures.
6. Theme (?)
etc. and any other aspects of needed functionality for the site.

Site should also display the clear value proposition.
Show well detailed product descriptions. (image optimization)
High quality images. (strategize image dimensions and product angles)
*I would like a smaller image and the option to view a larger image in a pop-up or to be displayed on a separate webpage.
*images below 70kb
*images in JPEG
Clear visual hierarchy.
Very professional and trustworthy looking site.

Specific naming of images and ALT tags

Add Site Heater app to site.
Add instagram and twitter feeds.
Add icons for Facebook, instagram, twitter, and pinterest.
Area to have a blog within the site.

I have only one product that I will be using, with different colors and variations on designs.

If you need more info please contact me.

***I didn't know what to ask for or how to properly post the job. I just asked for exactly what I know I want the site to have...
Any thing I should add or take out?
I want the site to be done by the end of the month... Does anyone have any personal referrals?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
The Bangladesh and India prices are acceptable for their areas. I wouldn't throw them out just because they are cheap. I have had no luck with hiring from India so personally I wouldn't go that route.

Your job seems pretty simple to do, if #6 has good ratings and a portfolio I would use him. I have only used elance a few times and it was awhile ago so I dont remember how much info your get but if everything looks good and the only thing worrying you is price I would use that person. I have had multiple VA from Bangladesh quote me a $2.50 per hour price, so in essence you are paying for 100 hours which your project should get done much quicker than that. That person is in the ball park for them, pay 100% upon completion and stay in touch with them every day or two asking for progress updates.

If you can, make a video (screen cast) and tell them as clearly as you can what they want, the more you can show the better.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
I'm going to throw my input in here as someone who does a lot of freelance work, and also outsources a lot.

*Please go in and create a custom 404 page while waiting for completion of the actual site.

1.Attach my domain name to it.
2. Embed a video.
3. Set up customer contact form.
4. Add payment options.
5. Upload pictures.
6. Theme (?)
etc. and any other aspects of needed functionality for the site.

You need to be much more specific about 2,3,4,5, and 6.

2) Tell them you already have the video. This might seem obvious, but some clients assume their $200 hire will create their marketing as well.
3) I havent used shopify, but if they don't have a builtin customer management platform, I would find one of the companies out there that lets you do embedded forms (even google docs works), create a draft of the form, and give that to them to design. Also tell them thats what you are doing, because the freelancer will have no clue what fields to include on the form if you want anything more than email and message, and maybe not even those.
4) figure out what payment options you want to offer. Does Shopify provide a payment gateway for you or do you have to use your own?
5) tell them how many product images you currently have and if they will need to edit them.
6) I think you need to be much more clear about what you mean by 'theme' the site. Look at the existing shopify themes and see if any of them will work for you. If 1 will work I would tell them which 1 you like. If you need a custom theme I don't think $500 will be enough maybe it will.

Site should also display the clear value proposition.
Show well detailed product descriptions. (image optimization)
High quality images. (strategize image dimensions and product angles)
*I would like a smaller image and the option to view a larger image in a pop-up or to be displayed on a separate webpage.
*images below 70kb
*images in JPEG
Clear visual hierarchy.
Very professional and trustworthy looking site.

Specific naming of images and ALT tags

Add Site Heater app to site.
Add instagram and twitter feeds.
Add icons for Facebook, instagram, twitter, and pinterest.
Area to have a blog within the site.

Where do you want the value proposition displayed?

Give the product description written? Do you know where you want each image in the product description? What you mean by image optimization?

It appears you don't have the product images currently taken. I have never tried hiring someone to do this, but I would imagine that you won't get someone good for under $500. What you try experimenting with product images yourself?

What do you mean make clear visual hierarchy?

Where on the site do you want there is Instagram and Twitter feeds added? Where do you want icons added? Shopify has a built-in blocking feature so that should be easy.

G

GuestUser152

What is the appeal of using Shopify for you? I never liked that they have their own (2% I believe) transaction fee plus that of the payment processor.

Dan Willis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2014
This is one reason I stopped using Elance and shifted to MyCrowd. The tool allows me access to all the major Freelance pools and allows me to manage freelance teams from a Google Chrome drop down menu. I hear you about wanting to hire as close to home as possible. I have had mostly, not entirely, but mostly poor results from overseas work. At the very least communications are slow and difficult given the distance. I would recommend not being completely committed to Elance if it isn't providing you the results you are looking for. There are many quality North American based designers out there on MyCrowd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.