The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ebiz Development

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I was going through my domain list for renewals and happened to think of a concept for a few of them. I used to do a lot of rehabbing, and was thinking of a service to aid homeowners with odd jobs, contracting, and certified handymen. There are a few good ones already, but I see many homeowners not knowing about them or just not being web savvy enough to utilize them.

After doing some quick research, I would be competing with companies such as www.servicemagic.com and the like. My execution plan is different, but still, they're in the same industry.

So, everyone always preaches, including myself, "you have to do it better." I think my lack of web biz knowledge leaves me feeling like I have blinders on in this area.

When evaluating an ebiz comparison (in this instance, Service Magic and others) to my related concept, is there some method that will define a better execution? What criteria defines better? At what point do you throw in the towel and move on to the next idea instead of exhausting resources?

One service could make more revenue than the other, that doesn't make it better....from being previously established, better advertised, etc....

Quality of service could differ immensely, which is why I thought of this example originally. I constantly hear about terrible experiences with contractors.

What I'm getting at is, even if you provide a superior service, how do keep your head above the water when other companies are throwing massive ads everywhere? Even though the end users service may suck, they reach enough people to continue. :thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Are you planning to provide the service or to connect customers with other service-providers? Even though it is a very common business model, I think being a "retailer" of a service is a terrible way to go. I work at a hotel, and retailers like Expedia are beginning to lose "market-share" to (guess who) the hotels! People would rather book direct.

I worked with Service Magic on a property inspection, and I was very pleased with the results. The problem (for ServiceMagic) is that I will call the individual inspector next time I need that service. Their business model does not automatically create repeat customers.

Sorry this is less about what you SHOULD do, but sometimes it's just as useful to think about what you SHOULDN'T do. Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.