The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eBay Millionaires

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you really sell millions of dollars worth of merchandise on eBay? These nine entrepreneurs did. Find out their secrets.

More...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
For some reason the link goes to the homepage for me. Gawker sites do the same. Does this link work better - eBay Millionaires - eBay Entrepreneurs for anyone?

It's the first result in the search for "ebay millionaires" though.

The article seems to be from 2005/2006 though. Some useful ideas, but most of the time when someone gets featured in a big article like this, there's dozens of copycats within a month; pushing the profit margins down with it.

websiteguy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 23, 2011
With just about any business there's always the potential of finding a niche or just getting lucky, but I agree that's it's tamed down a lot, but I'm no ebay expert. I think now a days a good ebay seller can make a good honest living, but they say it's hard work. Although after awhile you could hire someone to do the packaging.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Like said before, that article is old. That is when ebay was easy to sell on and the rates were low. ebay takes so much in fees now between ebay itself and paypal. While it is probably still possible to make millions with ebay, it's not worth it imo, there are better way. Also, like mentioned before, it takes a lot of work to do it. Goes against what the fastlane talked about.

Claude Robinson

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 24, 2011
I read on another forum somewhere that eBay is about to make all listings free. Anyone know the truth behind this, it may become a viable medium to market on again.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
They have been doing a lot of offers lately with free listings. I personally can't see them making that a full effect thing, but it sure would be nice. I think they would get a lot more people using them. They got too greedy and tried to nickel and dime everyone.

mrshowtime3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Oct 6, 2008
pa
Id say its incredibly hard to do that on ebay anymore. Their fees are out of this world and profit margin are low as it is. I dunno how most people are making anything on a lot of the products. When is a legit competitor going to come along?

mrshowtime3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Oct 6, 2008
pa
I read on another forum somewhere that eBay is about to make all listings free. Anyone know the truth behind this, it may become a viable medium to market on again.

I dont think its the listing fee that anyone cares about though. The selling fees are whats crazy. Selling anything above like $50 has way too high of a fee.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I started selling some stuff on ebay a couple months ago, nothing major just to scratch up some extra money, I made money but not much. I switched to Amazon and people will pay more and the fees aren't as bad. I sold 1 item on ebay and made like $50 profit, sold the same item on amazon and made over double.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
It's not really fast lane. But it's a tool to build up capitol for other projects. I just paid for my wedding. Ebay sellers paid for it. Also this was a great way for me to get my feet wet and learn about how to start a business. Now I am ready to move on to bigger and better things. I get back from vacation in 7 weeks and then hit the ground running with new projects.

I will still keep my ebay and amazon stores though. Takes very little of my time and even as slow as it is right now it still pays my rent for the month.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota

They are changing it so that you'll get up to 50 auctions with no listing fee. I think it is 50 anyway. Sounds good until you find out that now they are going to apply final value fees to shipping and handling. Everyone I've talked to who has cared enough to do the math has told me that this amounts to a fee increase. It's this kind of crap that caused me to pretty much stop selling on eBay a few years ago.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
They are changing it so that you'll get up to 50 auctions with no listing fee. I think it is 50 anyway. Sounds good until you find out that now they are going to apply final value fees to shipping and handling. Everyone I've talked to who has cared enough to do the math has told me that this amounts to a fee increase. It's this kind of crap that caused me to pretty much stop selling on eBay a few years ago.

Yep alot of people are pretty pissed. It's going to run many people out of business. The more people that run away pissed off the better.

In the mean time I will sell more and pay the higher fees. Then in 5 months ebay will lover the fees and I will still reap the rewards.

But I have been seriously looking into other way to sell. I put to many eggs in the Ebay and Amazon basket and it's time to start my other ideas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.