The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Earning a Potential $50K/mo - but big CONTROL issues!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
I have a successful YouTube channel and Discord. I'm pulling in about $15,000 / month profit with Discord, about $10,000 / month profit with affiliate links, and about $5,000 / month profit with other sources. My manager is changing our sales strategy, and based upon past performance, I'm fairly confident we'll get the discord profit up to between $50,000 and $60,000 per month. That change launches in September. So all together, starting in September, I'll be making about $65,000 - $75,000 per month profit.

Here's my concern... CONTROL! What are your thoughts on how to get more control? What happens if YouTube shuts me down? I already have an alternative channel on Rumble, but it's nowhere near as successful as YouTube is. And what about the Discord? Is there an alternative that's just as easy to use as Discord that would provide me more control? I don't want to go the old school forum method because Gen Z doesn't know how to use forums. I do have a website where I can host a new platform.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have a successful YouTube channel and Discord. I'm pulling in about $15,000 / month profit with Discord, about $10,000 / month profit with affiliate links, and about $5,000 / month profit with other sources. My manager is changing our sales strategy, and based upon past performance, I'm fairly confident we'll get the discord profit up to between $50,000 and $60,000 per month. That change launches in September. So all together, starting in September, I'll be making about $65,000 - $75,000 per month profit.

Here's my concern... CONTROL! What are your thoughts on how to get more control? What happens if YouTube shuts me down? I already have an alternative channel on Rumble, but it's nowhere near as successful as YouTube is. And what about the Discord? Is there an alternative that's just as easy to use as Discord that would provide me more control? I don't want to go the old school forum method because Gen Z doesn't know how to use forums. I do have a website where I can host a new platform.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Have you got everyone's email address? Can you send a regular newsletter too so they're used to opening your emails?

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Are you posting content that YT finds questionable?
I'm not at this time. But there are some changes happening in Australia that shut down everybody in my niche. If those changes make their way to the United States (which could happen), my YouTube channel could get shut down.

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Have you got everyone's email address? Can you send a regular newsletter too so they're used to opening your emails?
I have about 2,500 email address from people who signed up for free stuff and giveaways that I can market to. I also have about 2,000 transactional email addresses in Stripe. That pretty much includes everybody who's ever taken a step beyond YouTube to get additional information. It's only a small fraction of my 60,000+ YouTube subscribers though. I am sending out weekly newsletters to the marketing group.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice thread title change @MJ DeMarco ... you beat me to it.

@Scott Curry

Do you know your weekly video-view-to-email-subscriber rate? What will you test to increase it? Do your videos have a CTA that gets people to opt-in for some lead magnet?

Can you post your YouTube videos on other platforms?

Have you the emails of everyone on your Discord server?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like the thread title change @MJ DeMarco ... you beat me to it.

@Scott Curry

Do you know your weekly video-
I'm not at this time. But there are some changes happening in Australia that shut down everybody in my niche. If those changes make their way to the United States (which could happen), my YouTube channel could get shut down.
Maybe announce that and tell people to get on your email list if they want to be kept informed?
view-to-email-subscriber rate?

What can you do/test to increase it?

Do your videos have a CTA that gets people to opt-in for some lead magnet?

Victory!

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 27, 2022
I like the thread title change @MJ DeMarco ... you beat me to it.

@Scott Curry

Do you know your weekly video-

Maybe announce that and tell people to get on your email list if they want to be kept informed?
view-to-email-subscriber rate?

What can you do/test to increase it?

Do your videos have a CTA that gets people to opt-in for some lead magnet?

Following up on this with some ideas. Make sure that all of your content is available on your website. Ideally you want your followers going straight to your site to get your content rather than to YouTube or Discord.

To raise awareness of your site, you could try to run a huge giveaway in order to funnel people there. Make them interact with your site in some way to enroll in the giveaway. Start putting certain types of desirable content only on your website and not on Youtube and Discord, but make users aware of the existence of that content in order to get them to transition.

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Nice thread title change @MJ DeMarco ... you beat me to it.

@Scott Curry

Do you know your weekly video-view-to-email-subscriber rate? What will you test to increase it? Do your videos have a CTA that gets people to opt-in for some lead magnet?

Can you post your YouTube videos on other platforms?

Have you the emails of everyone on your Discord server?
Do you know your weekly video-view-to-email-subscriber rate? It hasn't really been a focus in the past. I just started collecting emails a few months ago. Should I make this a bigger push to get more emails?
What will you test to increase it? I have tags for each email subscriber, so I know where they came from.
Do your videos have a CTA that gets people to opt-in for some lead magnet? Yes. Every video.
Can you post your YouTube videos on other platforms? Yes. I'm on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and Rumble. But none have anywhere close to the conversion rate as YouTube.
Have you the emails of everyone on your Discord server? Yes.

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Following up on this with some ideas. Make sure that all of your content is available on your website. Ideally you want your followers going straight to your site to get your content rather than to YouTube or Discord.

To raise awareness of your site, you could try to run a huge giveaway in order to funnel people there. Make them interact with your site in some way to enroll in the giveaway. Start putting certain types of desirable content only on your website and not on Youtube and Discord, but make users aware of the existence of that content in order to get them to transition.
All content is on my website also. And yes, I do run giveaways to funnel people there. I like the idea of putting some content only on the website. Thanks for that tip.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 29, 2013
You have a similar situation to one of my clients. I'll give you a breakdown that you can run with.

1. Optimize for assets - the YT channel is a marketing channel but also acts as an asset, as are all platforms. Yes, they can be shut down. So optimize for as many assets as possible. First one being email (the one you can control). To your question above, yes you would want to ramp this up. Sprinkle it everywhere in YT descriptions. You can CTA it on videos but even if you don't on every single one, it will still show up. This is for YT, but you should also do it for the other platforms since you have the manpower to get it done. Leverage rumble, tiktok, etc. Grow the list. Seriously.

And, are there any assets you are giving away for free? Courses, guides, videos, material, fun stuff? Have your sales team use these to create massive opportunity.

2. Leverage inbound opportunity - you really want to maximize this across your channels. Especially with the email list (big driver). Also, leverage any platform you have DM access.

3. Leverage outbound - This is the easiest way to manage control. Your sales strategy would seriously benefit from this. No matter what, you can engineer new sales/mrr strictly with this. Leverage the email list to do outbound, previous purchases, etc.

NorlansV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 2, 2020
Athens, Greece
I agree the more platforms you leverage the more control you're gonna have in case one of those shuts you down.

In that case, another platform you could leverage is Patreon. You could post your videos earlier for your Patreon subscribers, have exclusive content, etc.

As for the changes that worry you, a thing that I see many YT channels do, is to create a second channel.
It wouldn't be very hard for you to promote it and you could have it to post more "risky" content.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.