The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropshipping, do you guys see it as dying or already dead?

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
just wondering what everybodys opinion is on dropshipping and starting out in the ecommerce world using it. From what I have seen it seems to be so commonly used that you cannot compete with price even close and trying to add value in most of these markets while only dropshipping seems nearly impossible as there are thousands of sites selling the same products at the lowest price possible and sometimes even offering free shipping... the value added would obviously be customer service, tutorials, etc. but it seems that every niche i am looking at there are an incredible amount of people doing it to the best it possibly can be done already... any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dying or dead?

I literally don't even think it has begun.

Find products that are not readily distributed, and bring them online. Non-possession inventory opportunities are boundless. I could come up with 1,000 of them in my hometown alone.

There's a little Christian book store down the street. Probably a 3,000 sq. foot shop. No online presence. Tons of stock. I could do a deal with him tomorrow, take all of his inventory online on eBay and Amazon, pay him after I get an order, and be in business overnight. He could ship the merchandise from his store for me. My investment would be zero.

After I visited him, I could then visit his neighbor who owns a quilt supplies shop, and do the same thing with her. She has some cool stuff in there, and even some unique products that are handmade. ETSY would likely love what she has to sell. She's not online.

I could have a worldwide retail business online, using local non-possession inventory, within a week. And that's thinking small. Apply that same thought process to larger scale businesses.

I actually was going to make you a list to get you started, but one of the ideas I was going to post was so hot I erased it... and promptly emailed the company with a solicitation. If this company bites, and the concept works... it could be scaled to 1,000 of his competitors just as easily. I literally erased my proposal from this thread, and instead sent it to a company. (if I make millions on it... I have you to thank for the inspiration.)

The opportunities are all around you. Think outside the box.

This will only be "dead" when every product that exists and is able to be purchased online. That will be .... never.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Dropshipping is the low capital way of getting an online presence.
When I started my first website, I knew that my niche market only bought one brand of work boots. I didn't have the capital to buy a distributorship nor would they have sold me one anyhow as I initially started off my kitchen table. What I did was contact a shoe distributor and ask if they would sell me the boots at 10%-15% over their cost and ship 'em for me if I could get the orders. Yes, I understand it isn't the best way, but it got me started. They ended up dropshipping many, many boots for me until I became my own distributor. Selling those boots established an online presence I would never have had without a huge capital outlay. Now we sell over a thousand boots a year from that one manufacturer alone.

Don't think it can't be done.

JUST THINK OUT OF THE BOX!!!

Randall

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dropshipping is the low capital way of getting an online presence.
When I started my first website, I knew that my niche market only bought one brand of work boots. I didn't have the capital to buy a distributorship nor would they have sold me one anyhow as I initially started off my kitchen table. What I did was contact a shoe distributor and ask if they would sell me the boots at 10%-15% over their cost and ship 'em for me if I could get the orders. Yes, I understand it isn't the best way, but it got me started. They ended up dropshipping many, many boots for me until I became my own distributor. Selling those boots established an online presence I would never have had without a huge capital outlay. Now we sell over a thousand boots a year from that one manufacturer alone.

Don't think it can't be done.

JUST THINK OUT OF THE BOX!!!

Randall

speed+ --- solid

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Dying or dead?

Find products that are not readily distributed, and bring them online. Non-possession inventory opportunities are boundless. I could come up with 1,000 of them in my hometown alone.

There's a little Christian book store down the street. Probably a 3,000 sq. foot shop. No online presence. Tons of stock. I could do a deal with him tomorrow, take all of his inventory online on eBay and Amazon, pay him after I get an order, and be in business overnight. He could ship the merchandise from his store for me. My investment would be zero.

After I visited him, I could then visit his neighbor who owns a quilt supplies shop, and do the same thing with her. She has some cool stuff in there, and even some unique products that are handmade. ETSY would likely love what she has to sell. She's not online.

I could have a worldwide retail business online, using local non-possession inventory, within a week. And that's thinking small. Apply that same thought process to larger scale businesses.

I actually was going to make you a list to get you started, but one of the ideas I was going to post was so hot I erased it... and promptly emailed the company with a solicitation. If this company bites, and the concept works... it could be scaled to 1,000 of his competitors just as easily. I literally erased my proposal from this thread, and instead sent it to a company. (if I make millions on it... I have you to thank for the inspiration.)

This will only be "dead" when every product that exists and is able to be purchased online. That will be .... never.

Oh how right you are.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
Dying or dead?

thanks for your input! and hopefully you do make millions from the idea you chose not to share lol

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
hey love the examples but i dont really understand what you mean by readily distributed and non possession inventory ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.