The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropped out of college (twice),Never held a job,4 years dabbled between many business models but didn't made a dollar online yet! (Updated)

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Background
I'm from India. Here education is everything. Popular opinion is education and white-collar jobs are the only way to get rich. Parents want their children either to be a Doctor or Engineer. If you pursue anything else then you're a loser in life.

I'm an average kid in school. I have got a great interest in Computers but I suck at math. Anyways, I got admitted to one of the elite engineering colleges in our country. (Here, money can get you anywhere. )Since I'm from a middle-class family my parents used all of their life's savings to got me admitted!

Revelation
In the first month itself, I found that I can't even clear a single paper. I don't have the guts to tell my family that I can't pursue Engineering. I'm hopeless. As it happened I read an article about how YouTube was acquired by Google for millions of dollars. This gave me new hope. I thought this is the way to get rich fast. A light bulb went off my head. If I got rich by any other means my parents may forgive me for not becoming an Engineer.

App Biz
I then researched and found an app called YikYak which became viral in the US but unheard of in India. I thought if I made a clone of it in India it'd also become hit and I could sell it for big money. So I started reading coding books. It took me forever to learn to code. I skipped classes. I even skipped exams. I got arrears in every subject.

Dropping out
In my second-year areas fees have become a mountain. So, I threw in the towel and told my parents I was unable to study Engineering. After lots of emotional baggage, I finally dropped out of college. But, nobody in my extended family knows about it. We kept it as a secret.

Then, my parents joined me in an Arts college. Here in India studying Arts/Science are considered par below Engineering. Anyways I was unable to concentrate on studies coz my heart was now set in Entrepreneurship. Thankfully in two weeks after joining the college I got a big health problem and I dropped out of college once again.

My parents lost all the hope for me. Then only I told them about my knack for entrepreneurship. Since they have no other way they started supporting me.

Enter Fastlane
But, YikYak became a failure In USA.So, I decided to quit learning coding and started reading lots of business books. Then I came across a book called The Millionaire Fastlane . After reading it I realized it's easy to get rich. ( Money = Profit x Units Sold) I then also read "Getting everything you can out of all you've got" which gave me hope I can succeed in any business.

I did market research. I brainstormed a lot of business Ideas. But all of it required lots of capital.
I was hopeless again. Then I came across this forum. Through this forum, I learned about Copywriting and Gary Halbert.

Info Biz
I read all of Gary Halberts Newsletters. He said if you've no money and you want to become a millionaire, you should sell info products. So I decided to sell ebooks. I researched niches. I got all the books for Gary Halbert Challenge. I also bought the best Copywriting & Traffic Courses. But due to writer's block, I was unable to complete the ebook.

FBA
Then I learned about Amazon FBA/Private Labeling. I thought I've got all the best Traffic and Copywriting courses in the world. If I only got a product to sell I can make millions. Since it's taking me forever to create an info product I thought I could find a product in Alibaba, private label it and then sell it with my traffic/copywriting skills. I devoured into lots of courses on FBA. I got my tax ID. Then due to a medical emergency, we lost all of our savings. I was unable to afford to import from china.

Dropshipping
Then I learned about dropshipping from Aliexpress. I created a Shopify store. Spend months perfecting the site. Since Stripes was not available in India, I've to use PayPal Express Checkout.
But I was unable to integrate it with Shopify. There was lots of regulation for Paypal in India.
You need the name on your tax ID, Adhar Card (Similar to social security number in the US) and bank account should match. I got some minor spelling mistake in my Tax ID. It'll take 6 months to change a name on tax ID.So, I quit this also.

Info Biz (Again)
Now, I was back to square one. I decided to create an info product again. This time I outsourced it on Fiverr. I got my ebook. I didn't have the patience to write the copy. So, I also outsourced it to Fiverr. I put the link to Reddit on a relevant sub. After getting only 20 views and no sale, the link was removed for self-promotion. Then I began watching the Traffic courses I bought. The course said I need a strong backend to profit from paid ads. Also, I need to subscribe to an expensive software (Adbeat) to research what ads work on my market. I can't afford to create lots of backend products now. Also can't definitely afford Adbeat as of now.

Freelancing
I was hopeless again. Freelancing never entered my mind coz we can't make lots of money out of it. Then I read on this forum someone said your first goal must be making 100$ online not a million dollars. So I decided to give freelancing a try. I set up an account in Fiverr for copywriting. Saw the bestselling gig in copywriting section, copied his description and offered more words for less money.
No sales yet. Maybe due to lack of rating I thought. I considered buying my own gig from another account.

Then I came across a thread here that mentioned @Lex DeVille 's Udmey courses. I found two of his courses intriguing one about freelance copywriting and another about freelancing in general. I was confused about which one to buy. Finally bought the one about freelance copywriting with the last money I got 2 days ago.

Now
P.S.It's 4 years since I dropped out. If I can't also make money by freelancing then I've to hang myself to death.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
After reading it I realized it's easy to get rich! ( Money = Profit x Units Sold)!

It's not easy. It's really hard. Knock that "easy" mindset out of your head. If that's the mindset you have, then you're set for failure when it gets tough.

Also, why do you use exclamation points at the end of every sentence? It makes it really difficult to read what you wrote!

Right now you're money chasing with a lot of your plans. You see someone made some money, so your idea is "I'll do the same thing". That's not how that works. If you don't have an close understanding of the value that you're creating, then you won't find a way to deliver that value.

If I was you, I'd start by going back to school, or by getting a job. Right now you lack experience and a proper economic view (as evidenced by your instant jump from carrot to carrot and complete disregard of responsibility).

Going all in on entrepreneurship is commendable. However, burning your parent's lifetime savings because you read an article that set you on the wrong path, that's pure ignorance.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
You'll figure out a way bro.

You are deep in the trenches of process - keep going and let the story unfold.
Good on you for going against the grain, especially in the country like India.

Don't dabble and focus on one idea. Business likes monogamy.

Here's the legendary article to inspire you:

Let's get it.
Thanks a lot man!

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
It's not easy. It's really hard. Knock that "easy" mindset out of your head. If that's the mindset you have, then you're set for failure when it gets tough.
Easy in a sense, it's easier to make money this way than working 50 years.

Right now you're money chasing with a lot of your plans. You see someone made some money, so your idea is "I'll do the same thing". That's not how that works. If you don't have an close understanding of the value that you're creating, then you won't find a way to deliver that value.
It was my mindset back then. Now, I learned a lot about business.I've updated my full story. Please read it and share your thoughts.
Also, why do you use exclamation points at the end of every sentence? It makes it really difficult to read what you wrote!
Sorry, Updated.
If I was you, I'd start by going back to school, or by getting a job.
I think I'm too old for school. It's 4 years since I dropped out! Also, I've some reservations about getting a job! I've read somewhere a Robert Kiyosaki once said: "You can never get rich with a salary".The quote stuck with me.I decided never to work for a salary.
burning your parent's lifetime savings because you read an article that set you on the wrong path, that's pure ignorance.
You didn't understand. I never wanted to be an Engineer. In India, your parents decide what you study, who you marry (arranged marriages are the norm here) and they live with you till they die. It takes a lot of guts to go against there wishes. That article gave me hope that I can get rich without becoming an Engineer and I thought my parents may forgive me for not becoming an Engineer if I got rich by any other means!

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Easy in a sense, it's easier to make money this way than working 50 years.

It was my mindset back then. Now, I learned a lot about business.I've updated my full story. Please read it and share your thoughts.

Sorry, Updated.

I think I'm too old for school. It's 4 years since I dropped out! Also, I've some reservations about getting a job! I've read somewhere a Robert Kiyosaki once said: "You can never get rich with a salary".The quote stuck with me.I decided never to work for a salary.

You didn't understand. I never wanted to be an Engineer. In India, your parents decide what you study, who you marry (arranged marriages are the norm here) and they live with you till they die. It takes a lot of guts to go against there wishes. That article gave me hope that I can get rich without becoming an Engineer and I thought my parents may forgive me for not becoming an Engineer if I got rich by any other means!

Why didn't you want to be an engineer?

Finishing university with an engineering background would have opened up a lot of business opportunities for you. Engineers are known for creating products that no one else can because they have a skill set that no one else has. @ZCP is an example of a successful engineer here on this forum.

You need to ask yourself if you dropped out of school because it's not what you wanted, or if you dropped out because you wanted something easier.

If you wanted something easier: it doesn't get easier than school.

If because you wanted something different, then you need a better plan on going after that.

Freelancing is a decent plan to be "rich in India". Not a bad path to start.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If I can't also make money by freelancing then I've to hang myself to death. Nothing else I can do.

Also knock this bullshit out of your head.

You tried for 4 years. You failed. It wasn't easy. Boo hoo. But that's not reason enough to kill yourself. Most people never try. You at least did.

And from those that do try to be entrepreneurs, few make it. It's rough. It's hard work. And it's unpleasant.

If that's your attitude, how are you going to deal with anything else in life? Let's say your girlfriend of 4 years cheats on you... then what? Suicide?

What about all the people that have gotten divorced? Same thing?

Or do they just keep living because there's more to life than just one failure?

Let me leave you with one quote:

“I have seen CEOs try to cope with the stress by drinking heavily, checking out, and even quitting. In each case, the CEO has a marvellous rationalization why it was OK for him to punk out or quit, but none them will ever be great CEOs. Great CEOs face the pain. They deal with the sleepless nights, the cold sweat, and what my friend the great Alfred Chuang (legendary founder and CEO of BEA Systems) calls “the torture.” Whenever I meet a successful CEO, I ask them how they did it. Mediocre CEOs point to their brilliant strategic moves or their intuitive business sense or a variety of other self-congratulatory explanations. The great CEOs tend to be remarkably consistent in their answers. They all say: “I didn’t quit.” - Ben Horowitz

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Well, well, well....welcome OP!
I'm an average kid in school. I have got a great interest in Computers but I suck at math. Anyways, I got admitted to one of the elite engineering colleges in our country. (Here, money can get you anywhere. )Since I'm from a middle-class family my parents used all of their life's savings to got me admitted! In the first month itself, I found that can't clear a single paper. I don't have the guts to tell my family that I can't pursue Engineering.
I'm taking finance and business analytics in university presently, both also math-heavy subjects.

I'm no whiz in math, and for every new concept, it takes me probably a few hours of practice questions to get it right in my head.

But it's actually fine. You just have to know what you want to achieve, and what limitations of your factors are there, for the problem to solve. Get that mindset right first, because it's the same for business.

And project work is always fantastic. Lots of hands-on work you can do.

For my case, I get to break into datasets on the markets and economies, and see some secrets that articles and newspaper reporters do not look into. (e.g. miscommunication of Brexit poll number estimates due to lack of a confidence interval)

I read all of Gary Halberts Newsletters. He said if you've no money and you want to become a millionaire, you should sell info products. So I decided to sell ebooks. I researched niches! I got all the books for Gary Halbert Challenge. I also bought the best Copywriting &nTraffic Courses. But I got writer's block. I was unable to complete the ebook!
Switch to the more modern copywriting mediums like emails and landing pages, if you want to continue a copywriting route.

I keep tabs on a few markets like education and health, so I find a few players, give them my email address, and read their emails, break down their hooks, seinfield sequence elements, objection killers and CTA.

Just to give you a heads-up, Ben Settle is promoting his Villains Persuasion book, and his recent emails are all about promoting it. He's somehow spiced the emails to be just as every salesy as it can be, with smatterings of movie villains' and heroes' quotes.

And mind that you need to be VERY experienced in the niche, before you can do the info products route. Otherwise, you risk becoming a scam guru.

Saw the bestselling gig in copywriting section, copied his description and offered more words for less money
Nope...more words doesn't mean the product is good, unless you are doing a white paper, where the words will stack up anyway due to the length of actual discussion.

Try going about the angle of 'niche-specific research ' or 'I will lay out a blueprint of how the work can take place' for the client.

Somehow simple things like research and documenting the work flow for the client to know what's going on is still heavily ignored by freelancers.

If I can't also make money by freelancing then I've to hang myself to death. Nothing else I can do.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

In my first month, I just made a measely $15 doing data entry. Took more months before I upped the returns.

Just make sure you take on some paid hourly tasks, as well as being nice to clients and looking out on how past freelancers shit on clients and not repeat their mistakes.

I've detailed some such tales in my progress thread, so feel free to look at it.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
OP must have gotten into a rather aggressive stance of copywriting haha.
The older sales letters tend to have more exclamation marks than today.

Figures with the Gary Halbert stuff...

Freelancing is a decent plan to be "rich in India". Not a bad path to start.
I have an Indian-based client, who is giving me quite a significant chunk of work this week.

For a recent article, he needed me to research on India's startups.

Naturally, I took a look at the existing online Indian articles and blogs.

Dismal.

Same old shanty statistics tossed around, with boring copy-pasted cliches, and weakly supported arguments. I could swear the article writers were cannibalising each other for data and research, only getting sources from the Number 1-2 pages on Google!

So I had to go dig deeper. Read the Indian government policies that highlighted market inefficiencies, and then went to Google scholar for the academic journals to get raw data.

(Thank God for some decent university education to be able to read academic journals and make sense of the data methodologies and discussions)

I also went to visit the startups' websites and social media pages themselves.

Very, very, very boring process, and I lost some sleep, but the end-product won my client over.

So, it's not really an issue of getting 'rich', but more on hitting what freelancers seem NOT to be doing, when they SHOULD.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Why didn't you want to be an engineer?
Because I hate math. Engineering is full of math.
If because you wanted something different, then you need a better plan on going after that.
Yes, I've lots of ideas for solid businesses. But all of them are capital intensive. After reading Gary Halbert I thought I start info biz to fund my other ventures. But later only I learned info biz itself requires lots of money.(Paid traffic, funnels, etc) Now my only option is freelancing.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Also knock this bullshit out of your head.

You tried for 4 years. You failed. It wasn't easy. Boo hoo. But that's not reason enough to kill yourself. Most people never try. You at least did.

And from those that do try to be entrepreneurs, few make it. It's rough. It's hard work. And it's unpleasant.

If that's your attitude, how are you going to deal with anything else in life? Let's say your girlfriend of 4 years cheats on you... then what? Suicide?

What about all the people that have gotten divorced? Same thing?

Or do they just keep living because there's more to life than just one failure?

Let me leave you with one quote:
I was just desperate when typing that. You can see from my story I've seen many failures in my life. I won't suicide. But this is my last chance. If I failed in it I don't know what else to do. All my extended family thinks I've finished Engineering and instead of getting a job I'm pursuing entrepreneurship.I've to start earning quickly or maybe they'd find out the truth.

Also thanks for the quote. It gave me new hope. I'm going to start an Execution thread and act.

Last edited:

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
But it's actually fine. You just have to know what you want to achieve, and what limitations of your factors are there, for the problem to solve. Get that mindset right first, because it's the same for business.
Thanks. But it was too late. I can't go back to school now. But, I'll keep this mindset for my biz.
Switch to the more modern copywriting mediums like emails and landing pages, if you want to continue a copywriting route.

I keep tabs on a few markets like education and health, so I find a few players, give them my email address, and read their emails, break down their hooks, seinfield sequence elements, objection killers and CTA.
I thought Gary's stuff was timeless.Can you tell me which lists you are in?
Nope...more words don't mean the product is good unless you are doing a white paper, where the words will stack up anyway due to the length of actual discussion.

Try going about the angle of 'niche-specific research ' or 'I will lay out a blueprint of how the work can take place' for the client.

Somehow simple things like research and documenting the work flow for the client to know what's going on is still heavily ignored by freelancers.
Thanks. I'll try it and report back.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

In my first month, I just made a measely $15 doing data entry. Took more months before I upped the returns.

Just make sure you take on some paid hourly tasks, as well as being nice to clients and looking out on how past freelancers shit on clients and not repeat their mistakes.

I've detailed some such tales in my progress thread, so feel free to look at it.
I'll look at it.Can you tell me how much you make in freelancing now?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I thought Gary's stuff was timeless.Can you tell me which lists you are in?
Gary’s letters are good for sound business advice and for copywriting 101, which I’m sure you have gone a bit further than that by now, with some past experience up your sleeve.

For lists to sub to...
It depends which medium of copywriting you are in.

For emails, it would be Ben Settle and Nate Schmidt (his style takes after Settle though).

For sales letters, AWAI. Their emails take after a sales letter style, with more elaborate vocab.

And I sub to emails from good firms in my markets of interest to see what’s going on, for example I sub 2-3 health company’s emails if I find their content is great, and it’s their main way of getting leads and sales.

But I haven’t heard of an India firm who sells successfully using email. I’m still tied to American companies to look at their emails.

At best, I can only hope their content could be still relevant to my home country’s demographics, or in your case, India’s.

I'll look at it.Can you tell me how much you make in freelancing now?
About a thousand in the last few months, with around a quarter of it still in escrow awaiting clients to look over deliverables.

Could have been more, as I began to write white papers just a month ago, but I was a novice at that time, so I charged lower.

Yup, wait times for cash cycles can be long...

EDIT: Not to disappoint you, but in the beginning, if you have no portfolio to start with, the rates you get will be small, as you have less bargaining power.

And the earnings increased only as I continued to work with the same client.

It’s more of a relationship thing, rather than grabbing as much money as possible.

Trust comes with time, and they give you more high-stakes work.

Since you have done some work with those ebooks and dropshipping, you could take whatever documentations you have of those projects and convert them into relevant portfolio piecesz

E.g your book description and website as potential copy portfolio

And I was doing freelancing on the side, with my main studies in university, so I couldn’t truly go all out until lately.

It would be fine for your case to get a job, and freelance on the side to find improvement points on business skills, and to get a feel of good markets.

Last edited:

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Gary’s letters are good for sound business advice and for copywriting 101, which I’m sure you have gone a bit further than that by now, with some past experience up your sleeve.

For lists to sub to...
It depends which medium of copywriting you are in.

For emails, it would be Ben Settle and Nate Schmidt (his style takes after Settle though).

For sales letters, AWAI. Their emails take after a sales letter style, with more elaborate vocab.

And I sub to emails from good firms in my markets of interest to see what’s going on, for example I sub 2-3 health company’s emails if I find their content is great, and it’s their main way of getting leads and sales.

But I haven’t heard of an India firm who sells successfully using email. I’m still tied to American companies to look at their emails.

At best, I can only hope their content could be still relevant to my home country’s demographics, or in your case, India’s.
Thanks man.I'll check them out.

EDIT: Not to disappoint you, but in the beginning, if you have no portfolio to start with, the rates you get will be small, as you have less bargaining power.

And the earnings increased only as I continued to work with the same client.

It’s more of a relationship thing, rather than grabbing as much money as possible.

Trust comes with time, and they give you more high-stakes work.

Since you have done some work with those ebooks and dropshipping, you could take whatever documentations you have of those projects and convert them into relevant portfolio piecesz

E.g your book description and website as potential copy portfolio

And I was doing freelancing on the side, with my main studies in university, so I couldn’t truly go all out until lately.

It would be fine for your case to get a job, and freelance on the side to find improvement points on business skills, and to get a feel of good markets.
Thanks for your advice. I'll also write some random copies for my portfolio.

I've also devised a plan to become a millionaire since I'm having experience in most types of online businesses.
Follow along:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Take one main skill that you know is useful, and go with it for a while. Learn it, look at how other people do it, imitate experts, and try to find even better, newer ways. Learn to like the work that you're doing, because it's useful and you can add something to the world with it.

About the time you think it's time to quit, that's when you're almost to the point where making money with it gets easy. That's been my experience anyway. So don't quit just because something doesn't work in the first month, or six months. The urge to quit means you're standing in front of an invisible door, and most people are too afraid to walk through. Keep going and you'll be one of the experts.

Practice your skill every day, like a religion. Try to make something useful from it every single day. Show those useful things to people. Every day that you work on this skill that supports you, you'll find that you're a little better at it the next day, after a full night's sleep. That's how we're built... we get better at what we do, one day at a time, one night at a time.

Good luck, and do your best.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Take one main skill that you know is useful, and go with it for a while. Learn it, look at how other people do it, imitate experts, and try to find even better, newer ways. Learn to like the work that you're doing, because it's useful and you can add something to the world with it.

About the time you think it's time to quit, that's when you're almost to the point where making money with it gets easy. That's been my experience anyway. So don't quit just because something doesn't work in the first month, or six months. The urge to quit means you're standing in front of an invisible door, and most people are too afraid to walk through. Keep going and you'll be one of the experts.

Practice your skill every day, like a religion. Try to make something useful from it every single day. Show those useful things to people. Every day that you work on this skill that supports you, you'll find that you're a little better at it the next day, after a full night's sleep. That's how we're built... we get better at what we do, one day at a time, one night at a time.

Good luck, and do your best.
Thanks. I'll do it.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Your dabbling in too many things. You need to be consistent. Pick one thing.

You can make money in anything nowadays. But you need to pick one and go all in.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Your dabbling in too many things. You need to be consistent. Pick one thing.

You can make money in anything nowadays. But you need to pick one and go all in.
Yes, I've decided freelancing is the way to go. I won't focus on anything else until I get really good at it.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Yes, I've decided freelancing is the way to go. I won't focus on anything else until I get really good at it.
Oddly for me though, IMO, it isn't that freelancing ALONE is the way to go.

You'll have to put up with a few bad clients, and sometimes have to go on rush tasks for tight deadlines.

What IS the way to go, is to understand:
1. How the task the client commissions you to do, plays a role in his sales operations.
Is it just to get eyeballs for leads, in the case of online articles?

More coherent UI for websites, to help folks get to the sections they want to hopeful sign up their email or buy something?

Is his market crashing? Stiff competition? Is he playing his marketing highly on emotions or strict troubleshooting B2B?

Or whether the client EVEN understands how the task is going to impact his sales.

So at times, you'd have to step in his shoes and act as a pseudo-consultant (and receive some advice in return).

2. Project management and documentation
Read up anything on Brennan Dunn. If I can remember, he has a free multiple-day series of emails to teach you the basics for that.

Find online templates (or make from scratch) to prepare your work breakdown plans (e.g. interview scripts, copywriting draft skeletons, research excel spreadsheets, contingency emails, etc.).

If you have some time to read heavy-duty stuff, the PMBOK handbook (I think its free, check whatever online libraries you can get your hands on) is quite a definitive guide to project management- if you are going to do heavy duty tasks like white papers, email sequences or web design, or find yourself working alongside other freelancers.

I got introduced to it by my Data Analytics unit this semester, and while it was a bit academic, it was an elaborate read, ala Never Split the Difference style.

You could just read Brennan Dunn's free blogs and emails, and do a first few gigs, hit some roadblocks in terms of time and bottlenecks, and go look into PMBOK.

That way, you won't be too wasted when job/university/family stuff is eating you alive, and you want to make money by taking on more jobs.

This was a major killer for me early on, as I went in YOLO.

Last edited:

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Oddly for me though, IMO, it isn't that freelancing ALONE is the way to go.

You'll have to put up with a few bad clients, and sometimes have to go on rush tasks for tight deadlines.

What IS the way to go, is to understand:
1. How the task the client commissions you to do, plays a role in his sales operations.
Is it just to get eyeballs for leads, in the case of online articles?

More coherent UI for websites, to help folks get to the sections they want to hopeful sign up their email or buy something?

Is his market crashing? Stiff competition? Is he playing his marketing highly on emotions or strict troubleshooting B2B?

Or whether the client EVEN understands how the task is going to impact his sales.

So at times, you'd have to step in his shoes and act as a pseudo-consultant (and receive some advice in return).

2. Project management and documentation
Read up anything on Brennan Dunn. If I can remember, he has a free multiple-day series of emails to teach you the basics for that.

Find online templates (or make from scratch) to prepare your work breakdown plans (e.g. interview scripts, copywriting draft skeletons, research excel spreadsheets, contingency emails, etc.).

If you have some time to read heavy-duty stuff, the PMBOK handbook (I think its free, check whatever online libraries you can get your hands on) is quite a definitive guide to project management- if you are going to do heavy duty tasks like white papers, email sequences or web design, or find yourself working alongside other freelancers.

I got introduced to it by my Data Analytics unit this semester, and while it was a bit academic, it was an elaborate read, ala Never Split the Difference style.

You could just read Brennan Dunn's free blogs and emails, and do a first few gigs, hit some roadblocks in terms of time and bottlenecks, and go look into PMBOK.

That way, you won't be too wasted when job/university/family stuff is eating you alive, and you want to make money by taking on more jobs.

This was a major killer for me early on, as I went in YOLO.
Thank you so much.Very useful info.

Last edited:

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
This is because being a script-kiddie ahem "hacker" is a fad in India. Teenagers who want to be the hype open YouTube, type "How to become a hacker" and watch the first 5 minutes of an 8-hour video. Usually, the video states that phishing is a method of hacking which requires our victim to click on an email link. They somehow get afraid of emails and spread this "awareness" among others as well. Thus, email is not a good marketing strategy in India.
I am speaking in general from my experience, sorry if I offend anyone.

Well, time to wax my legs and start stripping. Twitch, here I come!

Danczyk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 20, 2019
Belarus
Work ethic. If you are from a 3rd world country you have everything against you so unless you have work ethic and consistency you have zero chance to succeed.

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
Don't be afraid of failure, embrace it and learn from it. Your situation will require you to be burning hot at working on your goals. Don't focus on what can go wrong but what can go right. From what I've read I'd suggest you complete whatever goal you set and don't hop around from path to path (if you gonna do copywriting work on it constantly and perfect before you decide to do something else, dont try to do a million things at once). Once you perfect your process for your learning curve the world is your oyster.

Open to criticism just my 2c.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Work ethic. If you are from a 3rd world country you have everything against you so unless you have work ethic and consistency you have zero chance to succeed.
It's true for any nation first or third world. Also contrary to popular opinion India is not a Third world country. She is in the middle ground. Maybe we could call her a second world country. We are rapidly moving toward capitalism. Startups are mushrooming everywhere. Under the leadership of Modi Ji (Our Ho'rable PM), we're moving towards rapid industrialization. Also, lots of youth are interested in entrepreneurship more than ever as surveys show. But most are afraid of offending their parents and then they work for someone else. Parents must change their attitude.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Don't be afraid of failure, embrace it and learn from it. Your situation will require you to be burning hot at working on your goals. Don't focus on what can go wrong but what can go right. From what I've read I'd suggest you complete whatever goal you set and don't hop around from path to path (if you gonna do copywriting work on it constantly and perfect before you decide to do something else, dont try to do a million things at once). Once you perfect your process for your learning curve the world is your oyster.

Open to criticism just my 2c.
Thanks man.

Danczyk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 20, 2019
Belarus
Also contrary to popular opinion India is not a Third world country.

Unless you are in the US, UK, AU or some top tier European countries, you are in the third world. Don't get mad at me. I love India and I have Indian friends but try to get a 5-6 figure deal from US and you immediately face trust issues.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...