The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Drinking In Your Motivation

Anything related to matters of the mind

What kind of Motivation Do you usually have? Be honest.

• Energy Drink

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Coffee

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Liquor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Have you stopped to think,“How dedicated am I to my goals and projects?”. The reason I ask this question is because it's one that I've had to ask myself over the years. It seems to me that almost everyone has set goals; very few reach the ones the way they want to. So my question is, “What is it that they are lacking in order to finish their projects?” Or I guess a better question would be, “What are you drinking?” Since I tend to use word pictures a lot, I'll do it again to help me explain how I view things.

The Energy Drinkers

Ever drank one of those energy drinks? You know the kind, the ones that can take a guy from comatose to hyper drive in just a few minutes. How many times has that happened to you? You have a great money making idea, you are tired of the pace you were at, but now suddenly you find yourself surging with excitement as think of your plan.

For a brief period you find yourself full of vigor as you set goals, tell the world about them, take the first few steps towards your projects, and then Whammo! Just as suddenly as you the excitement hit, now you are feeling the dragging sensation of apathy and lack of focus. You don't quite understand what's happened because you started out with a lot of energy, but now you just feel burned out. So much for the energy drink.

Make it a Coffee, black!

Have you ever seen the hard core coffee drinkers? I don't mean your cafe coffee with the cream and berries and foo foo name attached to it. I mean the kind of coffee that looks like midnight when you stare at it and the kind that turns your teeth 4 shades darker with each cup. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to a truck stop some time. Those guys bleed coffee and you'll see them lugging around thermos bottles full of it.

How does that apply to goals? Some people are just like the truckers. Slow and steady they go cross country aimed at their destination. Each chug helps them keep their focus and remain on task. It's not meant to over energize or excite, merely to get the job done. Coffee is great in that it helps keep people on track, but it's also limited in the scope of what you can accomplish with it.

If you're a coffee drinker, you wake up, define what has to be done, do it, and you're done for the day.
You can see your progress, but you don't get excited yet because you haven't reached your destination.
All focus is straight ahead as you move along and everyone knows that you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow and the next day.

Hard Liquor Baby!

Oh yeah, it's party time. With each swallow the world just gets better and better. You feel like you can do anything and there is no pain. Well, not until you quit drinking and have a hangover anyway.
Where am I going with this? I dunno, does an MLM fit this analogy at all? Let's get excited, money, money, money, and let's ignore the realities whatever they may be. Sure, you can have fun when drinking alcohol, but you better be ready for the consequences. All things must come to an end and your hang over is just waiting in the cab with the meter running.

I guess I shouldn't just single out the MLM's, let's talk about some of the “Buy My Course and You'll Be Rich! Rich! Rich!” programs. It may be a party while you're there, but you had better know where you'll wake up in the morning.

Water

Just water? Yep, that's it. You may say that it's bland and boring and it doesn't give you the energy boost you think you need. I would say it doesn't give you the energy boost that you can immediately feel, but what it does is make your body function more efficiently and it flushes out the impurities.

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm struggling to make a dynamic point that is inspiring. Then again, maybe that is the point. Water by itself is very unassuming, but the more you drink the more you'll have reserved to help you through difficult and enduring times. These are the kind of times when you feel like you are in a marathon.

There will be periods when you feel down and that you are really not accomplishing what you set out to do. The temptation to drop out will be strong and fatigue will justify your mindset. In terms of inspiration maybe that's when you'll need to mentally tag a swig of water. You may not taste it, but you will benefit from it.

So how do I conclude this odd analogy? I guess I just want you to have another metric to use when you are trying to assess your motivation level. Determine what your driving force is and if you feel like quitting for the wrong reasons. If you can recognize that you are just in the middle of the race, you might push yourself no matter how you feel and drink in just enough motivation to keep you going.

Don't worry, there will be times for the other drinks, but I hope they will be used as a celebration of your met goals rather than the sole motivation to accomplish them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Water for me. As I am writing this, I have a bottle of water in front of me. Water is healthy for the mind and body. I can go on and on about water but I will stop here.

Energy Drinks- I just read the ingredients of an energy drink and put it back if I cannot pronounce a word.

Coffee- Tried it once, just don't enjoy the taste.

Liquor- I am 17, drinking age is 21. Pretty self-explanatory, plus I have no desire to drink to feel "adult" as people my age would put it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.