The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doubting My Idea

Idea threads

Kevin90

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 10, 2014
Ohio
I've been thinking about starting an auto detailing service on the side for some extra monthly income. I will be providing customers with full exterior and full interior cleaning to make their vehicle look the best it can. I know the demand is there in my area.

I understand that this is not a fast lane model. I'm okay with that and it's something I enjoy doing. If I have the ability to make a few bucks with it, then I see it as a bonus to the enjoyment I already receive.

However, I am having self doubts about the idea. I keep doubting that my work will not be good enough to truly make the customer happy. I feel they will find flaws in my work and not pay for my services. Perhaps it will be a paint scratch I couldn't get out or a stain on the seat I couldn't remove...whatever it may be I keep freaking myself out that they will demand money back and bad mouth my business.

I belong to several auto detailing forums and have posted pictures of my work. All feedback is positive and fellow retailers say I do great work. So, the issue truly is internal.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I go about putting my limiting beliefs aside and have to courage to put this idea into practice?

I would appreciate any advice you have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 18, 2014
Sounds like the worst that could happen is it "doesn't work" and you're at the same place as if you didn't try at all. Trust me, that's a much better place to be than not trying at all and carrying around the anxiety of "will this work? won't it? what if..."

Just do it.

If you're happy with your results, there's no reason someone else wouldn't be. If they're not, oh well, move on with life.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
quote="Kevin90, post: 398167, member: 22060"]Do you have any suggestions as to how I go about putting my limiting beliefs aside and have to courage to put this idea into practice?[/quote]

I'm guessing you are hesitating to put yourself out there because you're afraid of rejection. You don't want to get this going because right now, it requires getting in front of people who are going to tell you "no, I don't want what you are selling."

I hear you. I always hesitate before running ads, cold calling, etc. I hate it. I think I'll always hate it, no matter how successful I've been in the past. I have to do it today, and I'm doing everything I can to avoid it. (In fact, I have to call someone who already said they would promote my product and let them know I'm ready to go, and I've been hesitating to do that. Makes no sense, right!?)

But I've learned that the only thing that separates daydreamers in cubes from people who are living the life they want is that they are willing to really put themselves out there, adjust based on the feedback they get, and then keep putting themselves out there. It sucks, but you have to do it. You have to call people. You have to run ads. You just have to. And if you get negative feedback, or you don't get the response you are looking for, you just have to adjust and try again.

What's the alternative? A life of "what-if's" and regret. No one wants that.

One more thing - instead of thinking "what if they don't like me" think "what if I'm perfect for them...what if they love my work?" What then?

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
What's the worst that could happen? It fails, move on to something else and take the lessons learned with you. If it's something you truly like to do then give it a shot and see what it turns into, better to try it than looking back 10 years from now kicking yourself because you didn't try it and always wondering what would've happened with the business.

We a detailing company here in my little town that actually come to your home/business/where ever your car is and detail it for you. From what I heard they were killing it. I hope they still are too.

Good luck!

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I've been thinking about starting an auto detailing service on the side for some extra monthly income. I will be providing customers with full exterior and full interior cleaning to make their vehicle look the best it can. I know the demand is there in my area.

I understand that this is not a fast lane model. I'm okay with that and it's something I enjoy doing. If I have the ability to make a few bucks with it, then I see it as a bonus to the enjoyment I already receive.

However, I am having self doubts about the idea. I keep doubting that my work will not be good enough to truly make the customer happy. I feel they will find flaws in my work and not pay for my services. Perhaps it will be a paint scratch I couldn't get out or a stain on the seat I couldn't remove...whatever it may be I keep freaking myself out that they will demand money back and bad mouth my business.

I belong to several auto detailing forums and have posted pictures of my work. All feedback is positive and fellow retailers say I do great work. So, the issue truly is internal.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I go about putting my limiting beliefs aside and have to courage to put this idea into practice?

I would appreciate any advice you have.

If you're hesitant because you doubt the quality of your work (or think your customers will doubt it), then I recommend the following:

1) Create a detailing job checklist and review it with the customer before you do the job. This will manage each customer's expectations and decrease the chance that they will be dissatisfied.
2) Offer a guarantee.

If you're still hesitant, then you need to dig deeper to uncover why you're dragging your feet.

KarlR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 11, 2013
Hi Kevin.

Just go for it man.like the others said,you have nothing to lose.

I currently work as a detailer for a camper/car rental company.
I will tell you the truth.....Some customers WILL complain.no matter how good your work is.thres just people like that out there and nine times out of ten there is nothing wrong,they are just fishing for free stuff/money off.
These people are out there,the heard the statement "the customer is always right" too many times and expect if they complain they get everything for free.

It's up to you not to take it to heart and do what you can just to make them piss off.its up to you weither or not you want to give them a discount/not charge them or whatver it takes to make them "happy"',but from my experience,these types of people are never happy.

You know you are doing a good job and you can only do your best.if people want to make a big deal over little stuff,I wouldn't bother worryng about them too much,just try get rid of them.your not going to want them as customers anyway,as they won't be worth the effort.

That's my work rant over :D no wonder I wanna get out of the slowlane!

Goodluck Kevin!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Try running a hotel, guests feel the need to complain about stupid little things.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
The time to start doubting Is when you've tried everything humanly possible to make your idea succeed. Go for it. You'll regret not trying more than failing. When you fail you learn.

Last edited:

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
This is something you could literally start today. Buy some detailing supplies, post some flyers around town, put an ad on craigslist, etc. You could have your first customer within 24 hours. DO IT! The absolute worst thing that could happen is you would be stuck with detailing supplies, which lucky for you means a nice clean car!

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
Do what you love.

If you don't believe in it, or trust yourself completely to commit to it; then don't do it.

Remember to ask yourself: Why do you get out of bed in the morning.

Is this business a good reason to do so?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.