The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't Show Up to Meetings in Gym Clothes...

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
...and Don't Write Business E-Mails That make You Look Like Someone Who Does That !

I made this as an info product to sell last year and then never did anything with it. This guide is NOT for cold outreach or sales E-Mails. It is for communication with a party who is already in a working relationship with you. If the language seems a bit off from my usually style, that's because it was written with a woman who lives and breathes the corporate world.

This guide will help you to be taken seriously by older clients/partners. Violating the things mentioned here is somewhat like showing up to a meeting in gym clothes -> you can get away with it if you really want to but it's bad manners.
I have been using the pointers from this guide for some times now, and it has helped me just today to figure out the organizational stuff with some markets and secure a spot.

How to Write Professional Business Emails

Before we begin, let me share why this guide offers good advice. I collaborated with the head of admissions of a 100 Million a year Pharma Company. Her primary responsibility is negotiating with authorities for drug admissions in various regions. This role involves writing numerous business emails with a lot at stake. Together, we have compiled this comprehensive guide to writing professional emails. Let's get started.

When writing business emails, there are two questions you need to answer for yourself:

• Who is my audience?
In all business writing, the audience is the most important consideration. Your recipient will determine the tone, formality, and content of your email. Keep in mind that different readers may have varying backgrounds, levels of project knowledge, and priorities. Consider using project acronyms (e.g., using "TRs" for "Test Results") when communicating with a colleague who shares deep project knowledge. However, such acronyms may confuse an executive who needs an update for budget forecasting. Remember to keep your tonality neutral and avoid jokes, emojis, or funny pictures in formal business emails. Additionally, refrain from using abbreviations (e.g., write "do not" instead of "don't"). Try to keep your emails concise and within the range of 5 to 10 lines. Be polite and use a simple and clear language, considering that not everyone may be a native English speaker in international business.

• What is the purpose?
Every email must have a clear purpose. Limit each email to one specific item, task, or request. If you cover multiple purposes in a single email, it will become challenging to follow up on different issues. The result is that it takes a long time to get a response from the recipient or you do not get one at all.

Quick Tip,

Format your emails to allow for easy skimming. Use plenty of white space, shorter paragraphs, lists, bullet points, and headings to streamline the information. Avoid large blocks of text, as they are likely to be ignored by potential clients.

Subject Line:

To help the recipient understand the context of your email, use a clear and descriptive subject line. You can also refer to previous emails in the text to provide additional context.

The most common subject lines you will use

Formally:

• In reply to your email...
  • I am writing in response to...
  • I am writing to inquire about...
  • Thank you for your email about...
  • I recently wrote to you about...
  • Thank you for your email of 12 August.
  • With reference to your email of 12 May, I...
  • I am writing in connection with...
  • I am writing to inform you that...
Informally:

• Thanks for your email.
  • Thanks for your mail.
  • Sorry for the delay in replying.
  • Thanks for the files.

Greeting:

Choose an appropriate greeting based on the formality and familiarity of your relationship with the recipient.

Formal:

• Dear Mr. Schmidt
  • Dear Ms. Schmidt
  • Dear Sir or Madam (if the recipient is unknown)
  • Good Morning/Afternoon

Informal:

• Dear [First name]
  • Dear colleagues

Brief Pleasantry:

Start your email positively by expressing gratitude. You can thank the recipient for their fast response, information provided in previous emails, or simply for taking the time to read your email.

Formally:

• Thank you for your prompt reply.
  • Thank you for providing the requested information.
  • Thank you for contacting us.
Informally:

• Thanks for your reply.
  • Hope you are well.

Asking for Information:

After addressing the interpersonal aspects, shift the focus to the subject of your email. Clearly state your goal, whether it is seeking confirmation, requesting detailed information, or making an offer.

Style:

• Remember that you want the recipient to react or take action based on your email. Therefore, use formal language with phrases like "would," "can," or "could."
Cultural Differences:

• Understand that different cultures may have specific expectations in business communication. Take a few minutes to learn about the cultural norms, especially when dealing with Asian clients and companies, as their manners and expectations may differ significantly from those of American or European contacts.

Formally:

• Please, can you confirm...
  • Is it possible to...
  • I would like to know...
  • I would be grateful if you could confirm...
  • I would appreciate if you would...
  • I would appreciate if you could...
  • Could you give me some information about...?
  • With reference to our telephone conversation today, I am writing to confirm your order for...
Informally:

• I just have a few questions about...
  • I need this information as soon as possible.
  • Please get back to me with the information as soon as possible.
  • Can you also confirm if...
  • Would you do me a favor and...

Giving Information:

Often, you will need to relay specific information to clients or companies. Introduce the factual information using friendly transitions.

Formally:

• I write to inform you...
  • We regret to inform you that...
  • I am writing to draw your attention to...
  • I am delighted to tell you that...
Informally:

• Just a note to say...
  • I'm writing to let you know that...
  • Unfortunately...
  • Just to let you know...

Handling Complaints:

Conflicts are unavoidable, and things may not always go as planned. It's crucial to address problems promptly and without emotional outbursts. Keep in mind that burning bridges can have long-term consequences, even if you are ending collaboration. Parting ways on good terms is always beneficial in the business world.

Formally:

• It would be very helpful if someone could...
  • I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with...
  • I would like to complain about...
  • I wish to draw your attention to...
  • I regret to say that I was not completely satisfied with...
Informally:

• I am not happy with...
  • I'm sorry to say that you're...
  • Could you possibly help me by...
  • I am sorry to inform you that...
  • I hope you won't mind me saying that...

Call to Action (CTA):

Towards the end of the email, include a specific call to action to ensure there is no confusion about your request. Avoid assuming that the reader understands the desired result based on prior information.

Examples:

• @[Name]: Can you forward the documents to all colleagues by Monday morning, please?
  • I'd appreciate your feedback on the draft agenda. If you have any comments, please send them by tomorrow at 12 AM.

Closing Message:

End your email in a friendly manner, similar to how you started it. This is especially important for votes, offers, or negotiations.

Formally:

• Thank you for your consideration.
  • Thank you for your kind cooperation.
  • I look forward to hearing from you.
  • If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Informally:

• I will be happy to...
  • It would be great to hear from you.
  • I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • I look forward to meeting you next Monday.

Sign-off & Signature:

Choose an appropriate sign-off that matches the formality of the email.

Most formal: Yours sincerely, [Your Name]

Least formal and most common: Kind regards, [Your Name]

Review Before Sending:

Once your email is composed, take a moment to review it before clicking send. Check for:

• Grammatical or spelling errors: Typos suggest carelessness and can convey incorrect information.
  • Dates, times, names, links, attachments, and other specific details.
  • Correct recipients in the sender fields.
Thank you for reading. Now you have all the information you need to write professional emails. I wish you the best on your journey. I highly recommend taking this information to heart, as writing emails is one of the most important and common activities in professional life. Applying what you have learned here will set you apart from those who are unaware of proper email etiquette.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
...and Don't Write Business E-Mails That make You Look Like Someone Who Does That !

I made this as an info product to sell last year and then never did anything with it. This guide is NOT for cold outreach or sales E-Mails. It is for communication with a party who is already in a working relationship with you. If the language seems a bit off from my usually style, that's because it was written with a woman who lives and breathes the corporate world.

This guide will help you to be taken seriously by older clients/partners. Violating the things mentioned here is somewhat like showing up to a meeting in gym clothes -> you can get away with it if you really want to but it's bad manners.
I have been using the pointers from this guide for some times now, and it has helped me just today to figure out the organizational stuff with some markets and secure a spot.

How to Write Professional Business Emails

Before we begin, let me share why this guide offers good advice. I collaborated with the head of admissions of a 100 Million a year Pharma Company. Her primary responsibility is negotiating with authorities for drug admissions in various regions. This role involves writing numerous business emails with a lot at stake. Together, we have compiled this comprehensive guide to writing professional emails. Let's get started.

When writing business emails, there are two questions you need to answer for yourself:

• Who is my audience?
In all business writing, the audience is the most important consideration. Your recipient will determine the tone, formality, and content of your email. Keep in mind that different readers may have varying backgrounds, levels of project knowledge, and priorities. Consider using project acronyms (e.g., using "TRs" for "Test Results") when communicating with a colleague who shares deep project knowledge. However, such acronyms may confuse an executive who needs an update for budget forecasting. Remember to keep your tonality neutral and avoid jokes, emojis, or funny pictures in formal business emails. Additionally, refrain from using abbreviations (e.g., write "do not" instead of "don't"). Try to keep your emails concise and within the range of 5 to 10 lines. Be polite and use a simple and clear language, considering that not everyone may be a native English speaker in international business.

• What is the purpose?
Every email must have a clear purpose. Limit each email to one specific item, task, or request. If you cover multiple purposes in a single email, it will become challenging to follow up on different issues. The result is that it takes a long time to get a response from the recipient or you do not get one at all.

Quick Tip,

Format your emails to allow for easy skimming. Use plenty of white space, shorter paragraphs, lists, bullet points, and headings to streamline the information. Avoid large blocks of text, as they are likely to be ignored by potential clients.

Subject Line:

To help the recipient understand the context of your email, use a clear and descriptive subject line. You can also refer to previous emails in the text to provide additional context.

The most common subject lines you will use

Formally:

• In reply to your email...
  • I am writing in response to...
  • I am writing to inquire about...
  • Thank you for your email about...
  • I recently wrote to you about...
  • Thank you for your email of 12 August.
  • With reference to your email of 12 May, I...
  • I am writing in connection with...
Informally:

• Thanks for your email.
  • Thanks for your mail.
  • Sorry for the delay in replying.
  • Thanks for the files.

Greeting:

Choose an appropriate greeting based on the formality and familiarity of your relationship with the recipient.

Formal:

• Dear Mr. Schmidt
  • Dear Ms. Schmidt
  • Dear Sir or Madam (if the recipient is unknown)
  • Good Morning/Afternoon

Informal:

• Dear [First name]
  • Dear colleagues

Brief Pleasantry:

Start your email positively by expressing gratitude. You can thank the recipient for their fast response, information provided in previous emails, or simply for taking the time to read your email.

Formally:

• Thank you for your prompt reply.
  • Thank you for providing the requested information.
  • Thank you for contacting us.
Informally:

• Thanks for your reply.
  • Hope you are well.

Asking for Information:

After addressing the interpersonal aspects, shift the focus to the subject of your email. Clearly state your goal, whether it is seeking confirmation, requesting detailed information, or making an offer.

Style:

• Remember that you want the recipient to react or take action based on your email. Therefore, use formal language with phrases like "would," "can," or "could."
Cultural Differences:

• Understand that different cultures may have specific expectations in business communication. Take a few minutes to learn about the cultural norms, especially when dealing with Asian clients and companies, as their manners and expectations may differ significantly from those of American or European contacts.

Formally:

• Please, can you confirm...
  • Is it possible to...
  • I would like to know...
  • I would be grateful if you could confirm...
  • I would appreciate if you would...
  • I would appreciate if you could...
  • Could you give me some information about...?
  • With reference to our telephone conversation today, I am writing to confirm your order for...
Informally:

• I just have a few questions about...
  • I need this information as soon as possible.
  • Please get back to me with the information as soon as possible.
  • Can you also confirm if...
  • Would you do me a favor and...

Giving Information:

Often, you will need to relay specific information to clients or companies. Introduce the factual information using friendly transitions.

Formally:

• I write to inform you...
  • We regret to inform you that...
  • I am writing to draw your attention to...
  • I am delighted to tell you that...
Informally:

• Just a note to say...
  • I'm writing to let you know that...
  • Unfortunately...
  • Just to let you know...

Handling Complaints:

Conflicts are unavoidable, and things may not always go as planned. It's crucial to address problems promptly and without emotional outbursts. Keep in mind that burning bridges can have long-term consequences, even if you are ending collaboration. Parting ways on good terms is always beneficial in the business world.

Formally:

• It would be very helpful if someone could...
  • I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with...
  • I would like to complain about...
  • I wish to draw your attention to...
  • I regret to say that I was not completely satisfied with...
Informally:

• I am not happy with...
  • I'm sorry to say that you're...
  • Could you possibly help me by...
  • I am sorry to inform you that...
  • I hope you won't mind me saying that...

Call to Action (CTA):

Towards the end of the email, include a specific call to action to ensure there is no confusion about your request. Avoid assuming that the reader understands the desired result based on prior information.

Examples:

• @[Name]: Can you forward the documents to all colleagues by Monday morning, please?
  • I'd appreciate your feedback on the draft agenda. If you have any comments, please send them by tomorrow at 12 AM.

Closing Message:

End your email in a friendly manner, similar to how you started it. This is especially important for votes, offers, or negotiations.

Formally:

• Thank you for your consideration.
  • Thank you for your kind cooperation.
  • I look forward to hearing from you.
  • If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Informally:

• I will be happy to...
  • It would be great to hear from you.
  • I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • I look forward to meeting you next Monday.

Sign-off & Signature:

Choose an appropriate sign-off that matches the formality of the email.

Most formal: Yours sincerely, [Your Name]

Least formal and most common: Kind regards, [Your Name]

Review Before Sending:

Once your email is composed, take a moment to review it before clicking send. Check for:

• Grammatical or spelling errors: Typos suggest carelessness and can convey incorrect information.
  • Dates, times, names, links, attachments, and other specific details.
  • Correct recipients in the sender fields.
Thank you for reading. Now you have all the information you need to write professional emails. I wish you the best on your journey. I highly recommend taking this information to heart, as writing emails is one of the most important and common activities in professional life. Applying what you have learned here will set you apart from those who are unaware of proper email etiquette.
I swear I should have put some hype ammount of money in the title...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.