The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don’t get ready, get started. Why Innovating Is About Doing, Not Talking

Anything related to matters of the mind

cdmedia

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 1, 2012
Nice little fastlane article I came across today on linkedin. Thought I'd share it:

Imagine that it’s 1901—and since both the PlayStation and crossword puzzles have yet to be invented, you’re whiling away your rainy Saturday morning with a quiet game of Parcheesi. I ask you, which of the following makes you want to put down the dice and go do something more interesting with your life?:"Let's grab some coffee after lunch and talk about innovation."
or
"I had a dream about how to make us fly—could you help me hack together a prototype for a couple of hours this afternoon?"
It's the second one, right? It has to be. Innovating—doing it, trying to make something happen—is ever so much more interesting than merely talking about innovation. Verbs are greater than nouns.
Now, I’m a big believer in knowing your theory and being fluent in all the flavors of innovation; the seminal works of Clay Christensen and Peter Drucker have had a big impact on my identity and approach as an innovator. But at the end of the day we're all here to make a dent in the universe, right? That means doing stuff. And as with surfing or playing the piano or learning to hack Arduino, no amount of reading or talking about it will make you better. To become a better innovator, it's all about experiencing as many cycles of doing as you can.
When faced with questions of schedule, my d.school colleague Perry Klebahn—who has shipped more products than just about anyone I know—always says “don’t get ready, get started.†He’s telling us not only to think a lot less before we act, but to use what we learn through action to help us think. Build to think. If the rapid ascendance and spectacular triumphs of Silicon Valley firms show us anything, it's that doing trumps planning more often than not. It’s far better to ship now and learn sooner than to study for a while and ship...much later.
In doing, there is knowing. Doing is the resolution of knowing. We learn via our mistakes, and we can make many more valuable mistakes when we take action. Innovating is about doing, not talking.
What are you doing today to get started?

Why Innovating Is About Doing, Not Talking | LinkedIn

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
I agree, if you want to start your own business, you have to take action for it. In making a business plan, you have to act for that plans of yours, not just writing it, you have to do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.