The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Buying/Selling SMEs

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Tiber

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 25, 2019
United States
Is anyone here a SME (Subject Matter Expert), that can give some insight into the domain buying and selling game. I've doing a little research and was curious to hear thoughts on it?

Is it still viable as a side hustle?

Where would someone start?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
I would use the "search" on the forum for that...there was a member (maybe from Australia?) a few months back on here and had some great information, I believe he bought and sold domains, etc. MJ had a few posts on that thread too.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Not an expert...but a lover of it.

I also love to see and apply creative out the box thinking to just about everything and domaining is no exception. I love real case studies of domains that were brand new when purchased and sold for alot of cash.

You will find the mentality of a pro domainer and an actual end user that is going to build on the domain are very different.

You can imagine which one will pay more and see more value in that ASSET.

Last edited:

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
Do you find anything that helped you start?

Here are some examples...you may find a SME in these threads if they don't see your post.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Is anyone here a SME (Subject Matter Expert), that can give some insight into the domain buying and selling game. I've doing a little research and was curious to hear thoughts on it?

Is it still viable as a side hustle?

Where would someone start?

The domain industry is alive and well.
People are still making sales regularly.
Its basically the digital version of buying real estate.
It requires a lot of reading and research though, (like a lot of other fields), so its not necessarily easy money, but is still a very viable source of income.
After gaining some knowledge, you can then choose the niche you want to specialize in whether its geodomains, brandables, .coms, newer emerging TLDs, etc. Or "mix and match" your portfolio.

Places to start reading are the Namepros forum, a community that's strictly dedicated to domaining alone.
Other resources include Ron Jackson's DNJournal.com, that gives a weekly synopsis of the top reported domain sales each week and then for the year....so you can see what people are selling, and at what prices, and begin to see patterns of what's trending.

You could also visit sites like Dan.com (previously called Undeveloped) that lists some of their recent sales on their front page....so as to get a feel of the kind of names that sell.

But basically you'll get a lot of the information you need from Namepros. They have a beginner's section.

I've also heard good things being said of Gene Pimentel's materials on domain trading, but I haven't read them myself so can't comment categorically on them.

If you have any specific questions, you can ask. If its something I can answer, I will.

Jinnah1947

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 18, 2019
There is huge demand for dropped domains with strong backlink profiles, as Google is giving more value to old domain as compared to newly registered domain names in SE rankings.

If you can get such type of domains I think you will do well.

Instead of selling to domain traders you can sell them to niche site owners as they will greatly benefits from these, and pay more then the traders.

GadAI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 16, 2019
This is interesting. I am wondering about the same thing. Domain industry is very much alive but I am not quite sure if it will work as a side hustle cause it'll probably take too much time considering it takes a lot of effort and research.

I might have to look up some premium domains in the wild just to check if I will learn a thing or two about it. :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.