The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain/Business Names - Better to be Creative or Descriptive?

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Curious on people's thoughts on this. When deciding on a name for a domain/online business, is it better to go with something unique (think Amazon, Twitter, GoDaddy, Google) and build a brand around it, or to go with something descriptive that makes it clear what you do (such as giftbaskets.com or carsforsale.com)?

And then there could of course be combinations of the above (HostGator, Themeforest, SurveyMonkey, etc.).

I know there could be SEO benefits to a descriptive name/domain, but I'm more interested in what type of name you might be more inclined to click on in search results (or in an ad or whatever) if you had never heard of the company.

For example, if you were searching for local piano lessons (for a random example), would you be more inclined to click on PianoWhirl.com or FindPianoLessons.com?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bushi23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 26, 2012
I'm going to paraphrase what I read in another thread not too long ago.

Basically, you want a name you can brand. You want customers remembering your brand. Anybody can come in to a new market, but once you establish yourself as a leader, it's a lot harder to take that away from you if you branded yourself. It's hard to brand yourself with a name like 'carsforsale.com' .

As far as clicking on a link in the SERPs, I really don't think people concern themselves with the domain name as much as they do with position and title/etc. I don't even look at the domain when I search for something on google.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
how much weight does a relevant descriptive domain name have these days in search ranks?

ableme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 20, 2013
CT, USA
I don't think it has anywhere near the weight it used to carry. But as with any domain, it's the work you do on it that counts. If you just put up smartcarsales.com and do nothing with it expecting to rank on the first page, then you will be very disappointed. But if you put up smartcarzsalez.com then market and promote the s$#t out of it, you will probably do great!;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
lets say hypothetically the internet didnt exist.

what would you name your business?

you should never decide on a business name based on what google will do for you.

ranking will happen automatically if you have something good to offer.

name your business what YOU want.

period.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!