The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing the contrary thing to what your gut tells you

Anything related to matters of the mind

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
I was brought up to always speak with two words. To say thank you and please could I,...
Mentality nowadays has shifted a lot I think. People nowadays generally feel more entitled.
What people are less nowadays though, from my point of view, is 'innovating' / pushing the boundaries and exploring the borders so to speak.
I'd like to give an example.
Me and my girlfriend are fond of Gordon Ramsey and his shows. He's well known for using profanity inside and outside his kitchen.
It boggles the mind sometimes that certain people get away with non politically correct stuff because 'they are like that', you know? And they are famous. But how do they get away with it?
I want to be able to do that just the same. Just say stfu to the majority of people I disagree with,... My parents told me to listen before I speak which I still find good advice, but in this case it kind of hinders me.

Have you been taught in a certain way by parents, relatives, education,... which later apparently just rubs you the wrong way?
How were you able to change your mentality, if you were able to in any case?

Or is it just a question of entrepreneurial courage? Taking the leap?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ivan Koretskyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Oct 2, 2021
Oregon, US
I totally get what you mean but in present times if Gordon tried to be famous that way in his 20’s I’d guarantee you he’d be canceled or gate keeper from being on TV. There are celebs out there that don’t have the political correctness bs but it’s in different ways.

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
I totally get what you mean but in present times if Gordon tried to be famous that way in his 20’s I’d guarantee you he’d be canceled or gate keeper from being on TV. There are celebs out there that don’t have the political correctness bs but it’s in different ways.

Yes, the thought also crossed my mind that maybe it is because he is an authority in his branche. In fact that probably will be it, you can see it in every industry that the captains of industry can do whatever they seem to want.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Your post is a little all over the place. I'm not sure if you're talking the value of being polite and listening, the desire to tell people off because they disagree with you, the perception of entitlement, your belief innovation is waning, or well I hope you get my point. Here are few thoughts that touch on much of what you brought up.

Don't confuse entrepreneurial "courage" with effective communications and just being polite/respective to others. Cussing your way through a YouTube video or other social media post is NOT entrepreneurial courage. Taking the time to develop business ideas that make CENTS and working the process needed to be successful is entrepreneurial courage. It may be that your biz requires a schtick, like Gordon Ramsey or other entertainers. But there's a lot more to success than an edgy schtick.

It is always a good idea to think before one speaks, or writes for that matter. If people keep cutting you off and you feel you can't get a word in edgewise, there are ways to deal with them and still take time to think. If more people would take the time to think before they open their pie holes, we'd all be a lot better off. Besides, how do you know you're right and they're wrong? Instead of trying to think up a quick come back - listen to what they are saying and try to understand them. You may still disagree, but you may also learn from them.

Foul language is more an indicator of one's lack of good communications skills than anything else. People who resort to cussing simply don't know what the right words are to use in a situation. There are so many awesome words available, why limit one's self to the few cuss words available? Don't get me wrong, I've been known to throw down as well once in a while. But because I so rarely do cuss, when I do - it has impact.

Don't confuse media schtick for the real person. Some folks are much nicer, some much worse.

"Have you been taught in a certain way by parents, relatives, education,... which later apparently just rubs you the wrong way? How were you able to change your mentality, if you were able to in any case?" Yes and I changed by listening, thinking and educating myself. When things rubbed me the wrong way, I'd ask myself why? Then I'd explore the why's by researching as many sides of the issue(s) as I could find. Yes, there can, usually is, more than two sides to a story. Eventually, I'd come to a position I felt comfortable with...at least until I started questioning myself and the world around me again. Never stop learning and never be afraid to question even your own beliefs as you strive to become a better person and entrepreneur.

watchopt

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 5, 2020
us
I was brought up to always speak with two words. To say thank you and please could I,...
Mentality nowadays has shifted a lot I think. People nowadays generally feel more entitled.
What people are less nowadays though, from my point of view, is 'innovating' / pushing the boundaries and exploring the borders so to speak.
I'd like to give an example.
Me and my girlfriend are fond of Gordon Ramsey and his shows. He's well known for using profanity inside and outside his kitchen.
It boggles the mind sometimes that certain people get away with non politically correct stuff because 'they are like that', you know? And they are famous. But how do they get away with it?
I want to be able to do that just the same. Just say stfu to the majority of people I disagree with,... My parents told me to listen before I speak which I still find good advice, but in this case it kind of hinders me.

Have you been taught in a certain way by parents, relatives, education,... which later apparently just rubs you the wrong way?
How were you able to change your mentality, if you were able to in any case?

Or is it just a question of entrepreneurial courage? Taking the leap?

Thank you.
I'm glad for this thread. When I saw gut, my gut or consciousness rose up. I lost that, for a long time. Lost touch with reality, inside - there. Thankfully and by grace I am getting it back. Anyways, to speak to the statement/question. A pattern I am seeing, which is also compared to my experiences and looking inside/gut, is that people are granted/loved through times of self expression. Even this forum, is based off a person who was graced with a time when they were provide a path for self expression. May be call them glory days. Today, that time lives on and has fruit. So, perhaps this leap and taking other leaps, you too will be granted grace to breakout and express yourself in the manners you speak about or a variation of such. Go and do it, don't be half a man/woman. Just do it.

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
Your post is a little all over the place. I'm not sure if you're talking the value of being polite and listening, the desire to tell people off because they disagree with you, the perception of entitlement, your belief innovation is waning, or well I hope you get my point. Here are few thoughts that touch on much of what you brought up.

Don't confuse entrepreneurial "courage" with effective communications and just being polite/respective to others. Cussing your way through a YouTube video or other social media post is NOT entrepreneurial courage. Taking the time to develop business ideas that make CENTS and working the process needed to be successful is entrepreneurial courage. It may be that your biz requires a schtick, like Gordon Ramsey or other entertainers. But there's a lot more to success than an edgy schtick.

It is always a good idea to think before one speaks, or writes for that matter. If people keep cutting you off and you feel you can't get a word in edgewise, there are ways to deal with them and still take time to think. If more people would take the time to think before they open their pie holes, we'd all be a lot better off. Besides, how do you know you're right and they're wrong? Instead of trying to think up a quick come back - listen to what they are saying and try to understand them. You may still disagree, but you may also learn from them.

Foul language is more an indicator of one's lack of good communications skills than anything else. People who resort to cussing simply don't know what the right words are to use in a situation. There are so many awesome words available, why limit one's self to the few cuss words available? Don't get me wrong, I've been known to throw down as well once in a while. But because I so rarely do cuss, when I do - it has impact.

Don't confuse media schtick for the real person. Some folks are much nicer, some much worse.

"Have you been taught in a certain way by parents, relatives, education,... which later apparently just rubs you the wrong way? How were you able to change your mentality, if you were able to in any case?" Yes and I changed by listening, thinking and educating myself. When things rubbed me the wrong way, I'd ask myself why? Then I'd explore the why's by researching as many sides of the issue(s) as I could find. Yes, there can, usually is, more than two sides to a story. Eventually, I'd come to a position I felt comfortable with...at least until I started questioning myself and the world around me again. Never stop learning and never be afraid to question even your own beliefs as you strive to become a better person and entrepreneur.
Yeah sorry about that, wrote it at about half past two at night.
It's not really about cussing though from my pov.
Maybe it's having had too much? appreciation for everyone's opinion or the such.
I *really* want to learn from my own and everyone elses' mistakes, but I think I have given way too much afterthought and weight to everyone's opinion. People I have known for years on end which I kind of admired now seem a bit... less of a 'rolemodel' so to speak.
You see, one of those people is a police employee. I guess he really likes to display authority and knowledge over matters, even if he knows 0,0 about the topic at hand,... But he thinks he is right, point finale.
He used to mock me because of my college results, although I eventually got a better degree than him, and after I failed he failed much more miserably etc,... It's kind of turned pathetic, you know? He talks to me in a weird unrealistic? superior way which I disdain. But he is my friend.
And that is something that bothers me sometimes. I like to treat people equally 'nice', but I feel like being Mr. nice guy has not brought me where I could've been. Caged by my own beliefs sort of. I don't want to treat people badly or rip people off, but some people really are begging for it.
There's also a quote saying that if you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room. Perhaps it boils down to that really. No one I know would be remotely interested in visiting a forum like this, let alone in English.
No one I know likes to read,...

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
I'm glad for this thread. When I saw gut, my gut or consciousness rose up. I lost that, for a long time. Lost touch with reality, inside - there. Thankfully and by grace I am getting it back. Anyways, to speak to the statement/question. A pattern I am seeing, which is also compared to my experiences and looking inside/gut, is that people are granted/loved through times of self expression. Even this forum, is based off a person who was graced with a time when they were provide a path for self expression. May be call them glory days. Today, that time lives on and has fruit. So, perhaps this leap and taking other leaps, you too will be granted grace to breakout and express yourself in the manners you speak about or a variation of such. Go and do it, don't be half a man/woman. Just do it.

Haha thank you! Yeah, Richard Branson's 'Screw it, just do it' hehe
I do think you get the best results that way but you have to adhere to so many people's opinion's all the time.
Didn't stop me from ordering my first 20 tarantulas back in the day with which i surprised my girlfriend haha ;-)
I think you're right. I received 'you care too much' by Carl Vernon still have to read it. But this is a massive problem I've dealt with all my life. Caring too much about everyone and everything. THAT for instance is the thing which I admired my police friend for. He gives 0 fcks, or so it seemed.
I like the part about self expression; I have my own opinion about what's currently going on in the world and in the past I wanted to express myself through Youtube. My channel never amounted to anything because I am not sure I would see my videos myself (I have a monotone voice). My friend refers to me as a regular Joe which according to him is why no one would listen to me (not being a celebrity for instance).
So maybe it's also ofc lacking self esteem from my part and not believing in myself enough, I don't know,...

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Yeah sorry about that, wrote it at about half past two at night.
It's not really about cussing though from my pov.
Maybe it's having had too much? appreciation for everyone's opinion or the such.
I *really* want to learn from my own and everyone elses' mistakes, but I think I have given way too much afterthought and weight to everyone's opinion. People I have known for years on end which I kind of admired now seem a bit... less of a 'rolemodel' so to speak.
You see, one of those people is a police employee. I guess he really likes to display authority and knowledge over matters, even if he knows 0,0 about the topic at hand,... But he thinks he is right, point finale.
He used to mock me because of my college results, although I eventually got a better degree than him, and after I failed he failed much more miserably etc,... It's kind of turned pathetic, you know? He talks to me in a weird unrealistic? superior way which I disdain. But he is my friend.
And that is something that bothers me sometimes. I like to treat people equally 'nice', but I feel like being Mr. nice guy has not brought me where I could've been. Caged by my own beliefs sort of. I don't want to treat people badly or rip people off, but some people really are begging for it.
There's also a quote saying that if you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room. Perhaps it boils down to that really. No one I know would be remotely interested in visiting a forum like this, let alone in English.
No one I know likes to read,...
It sounds to me like you need different friends. Your making a change in your life, as evidenced by being a part of this forum. You want to be successful and you want to learn so you can be successful. To do that you need to be around other successful people. It's unpleasant but sometimes we have to leave our old friends - sometimes even family members - behind us in our quest of personal growth and entrepreneurial success. We don't have to be cruel or even obvious about it. Just back away from them and add new friends and associates who are more closely aligned to your new journey in life.

Blow hard know-it-alls will always be around us. That doesn't mean we have to listen to them or let them get to us. Ignore them and move on. When you have become rich and successful you'll have all the proof you need that you took the right path.

It is kind of sad when those who were once our role models fall from the pedestal we put them on. But we have to accept that we are the ones that let them be our role models in the first place - so we can replace them. I get it, when we're young others often influence us to put certain people in place of importance that they may not deserve. We lump all these together and believe that all law enforcement or first responders are good and deserve our respect. Then we learn that, just like all of us, some of them are corrupt, or not so smart, or .... Bottom line we question why we have them as role models. So drop them and find new role models. Better yet, don't have role models. Be the kind of person YOU want to be.

watchopt

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 5, 2020
us
I like the part about self expression
I would not say these things unless I do it. Take responsibility. Keep going. Let go of the self talk and past, too. If there is one thing that will destroy creativity/expression it's gonna rise up from the past in the thoughts. Call that emotion. No matter what you or the world is doing 'it' is still going on, the good. Keep looking inside at the good, where from birth has always been 'the' place. Feel it, you are alive aren't you? Keep expressing yourself in different ways but realize you aren't doing anything, just a time of grace is at hand. Go. Write it out. Plan it. Stay simple. Get a plancy. Find your escape number. Put your idea through the CENTS evaluator. Things might make a turn but keep at it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.