The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does requiring a credit card deter scammers?

Would a small credit card fee deter scammers?

• Yes, $1-$5 should prevent most scammers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they'll find a way no matter what.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Neither. You should just aim to get as many people as possible.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ScottyMoll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 9, 2013
I'm looking into a business idea for a website and can't decide whether to require a credit card for activation. With all the scammers out there these days, I feel that something as small as this could deter a large number of scammers since their personal information (credit card number *hopefully not stolen* and corresponding address) would be required.

Do you think that a small $1-5 initial charge would be a valid way to weed out scammers, or would it actually hurt my numbers by weeding out would-be customers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
A while back, a couple of years ago, I had a problem with Navy Federal Credit Union refusing small internet charges on my card. I think it was those $1 trials. When I called customer service they told me it was to protect me. That scammers would test the card before hitting it big.

Your weed out test could flag your merchant account?

As with many things from me, this could be outdated info.

ScottyMoll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 9, 2013
That's a great point. I didn't think about that. I wonder if accounts get flagged for slightly larger amounts like $3-$5. It's funny that a process to weed out scammers could actually get you flagged as a scammer.

ScottyMoll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 9, 2013
Without giving too much away, it's basically a 3rd party website that will integrate with other major websites and allow users to transact in a secure, scam-free environment.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Crap, I was hoping to steal another great idea today.

If you won't be specific. We can't be specific.

Without giving too much away, it's basically a 3rd party website that will integrate with other major websites and allow users to transact in a secure, scam-free environment.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Without knowing what the purpose of the charge is it is really hard to help.

I chased down an idea (put it on hold as it would require too much upfront while I grow my other business) that was essentially a competitor to other rental property websites such as zillow. I was going to charge users to post properties $1 per day to act as a barrier to keep spammers and scammers out and thus keep my site clean with only real listings. If that is the type of thing you are doing then yes it can work. However be aware that it will act as a barrier to some users as well. Its a give and take.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.