The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone "need" to workout to feel their best?

do you "need" to workout to feel their best?

• Yes I need it.

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • I'm ok without it.

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
On days that I don't work out or simply can't due to this or that, my mood just feels sub optimal. I'm not sure if it's "healthy" or not to sort of rely on it.

I've been working out consistently for 7-8 years now and the thought popped in my mind as I sit here working.

I haven't workout out today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I keep hearing this... I never actually get into it...

I did just buy a mountain bike and go riding as often as the weather permits and I enjoy it a lot... Maybe I should join a gym. I could stand to lose 20 pounds.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This doesn't make sense to me from being a nurse aide! Simply, I've seen ill people have good moods, and a healthy mindset, regardless of their physical state. I've seen people that can't move at all and get out of bed, be able to have a positive mindset and mood, as well as the victim mindset. There developmentally and mentally impaired that overcome their moods and mental state with out working out.

While it does have benefits, I think it's more to do with the mind, and even watched them overcome their physical disabilities through the medicine, mind, and physical therapy or working out, but still the thoughts, emotions, feelings, have to be dealt with first, before action takes place to work out. As any navy seal will tell you to do what they do physically they must be mentally tough and pass through the fear, emotions, and feelings.

Sure, the body may function at it's best from nutrition and working out, but what I've seen the nutrition isn't always the best, or physical capabilities, but still seem them functioning at their best.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
I always work out 6 days a week, at around 4am in the morning. Maybe it's the former Marine in me... or just the insomnia... But I feel awesome every day after a bad a$$ work out. The days that I miss for some strange reason... I feel like a lady bag of crap. Nothing motivates me on those days and I usually end up having the least productive day of the week...

So yes... I NEED it!

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I always work out 6 days a week, at around 4am in the morning. Maybe it's the former Marine in me... or just the insomnia... But I feel awesome every day after a bad a$$ work out. The days that I miss for some strange reason... I feel like a lady bag of crap. Nothing motivates me on those days and I usually end up having the least productive day of the week...

So yes... I NEED it!
Semper, warrior.

I definitely enjoy working out, but don't feel as though it controls me. Although, after not working out and then getting horrible full body DOMS feels great.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I feel the need to workout or exercise. If I go too many days without it I start to feel lazy. It's the same feeling when you don't work on your business for a few days. You feel like you are regressing, competition is catching you. I feel like exercise makes you stay young.

If I feel like eating a pizza or a burger, I usually go to the gym first and then get the bad food. It also makes the food taste so much better!

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Yes, totally. Post workout feeling is great, too.

I keep hearing this... I never actually get into it...

I would flirt with the gym for 1-3 month intervals for the past several years. I would see minor changes, but nothing significant. I've also injured myself from using improper technique or not knowing how to scale the weights up properly.

This ALL changed when I decided to hire a personal trainer several months ago. Having that accountability and help from somebody who knows what they're doing has helped me transform my body. My trainer also helps me alter my diet over time to fit my goals.

birdy05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 14, 2014
I definitely think working out helps to clear my mind and help to reduce the stress but it's not a requirement. I can get away with just relaxing and listening to music too. I also enjoy going for a hike or a nice bike ride or just kicking the soccer ball around, it puts me in a pretty good mood afterwards.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I work out close to 5-6 times a week and it is my happy place. It is my therapy.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I either go running or workout 4 days/week. Once per week I do yoga. It feels great and keeps my energy levels high and relieves me from stress.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Weight lifting/ Sprinting/ Meditation/(yoga) / Intermittent fasting/ Macro and micro nutrient controlled diet

=God mode

I am not going to list all the benefits. but for business,your mind becomes so clear and free.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Sparring and Rolling full contact.

Nothing in my life is more peaceful. When punches are flying at you, nothing else in life matters. Doesn't matter how big or small, it all disappears.

Makes me feel more zen, more grounded.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
On days that I don't work out or simply can't due to this or that, my mood just feels sub optimal. I'm not sure if it's "healthy" or not to sort of rely on it.

I've been working out consistently for 7-8 years now and the thought popped in my mind as I sit here working.

I haven't workout out today.

I agree with you here. I'm a former track & field athlete, so from a young age I got in the habit of working out / living a healthy lifestyle.

It's harder for me to NOT workout than it is TO workout (I've tried taking extended breaks, but I always go back to exercising). It's a completely different view when you're looking at working out from the perspective of "needing" to do it compared to dreading it and forcing yourself to the gym.

I do factor in recovery periods throughout the year to prevent over training too. My rest periods are the times that my schedule gets way off and I get lazy sometimes haha.

Working out, eating right, and living a healthy lifestyle is definitely controlled by the process. You do a little bit each day for years then all of the sudden you have the results you want and the endurance to do the work that matters.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Responding to this from a treadmill at the club. I am working out right now to burn stress. I read somewhere today that Richard Branson attributes working out to his success.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The most incredible productivity I ever get is from a fasted workout at 4AM with Hal Elrod's Miracle Morning sprinkled in. So yea, I need to workout in order to feel optimal.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I've gone through phases where I don't workout for weeks on end, and I've gone through phases where I work out every day. I would testify that working out is definitely better. It's not natural for your body to get no physical exercise, and when it's not, a positive feedback loop is activated where you feel lethargic, your circulation becomes poor, your thoughts become more hazy, and generally you feel more like crap.

I have a martial arts practice routine which I follow every day, and I also meditate every day. I don't necessarily do this because I want to, I do it because I have to. If I don't, I can feel my equilibrium become disorientated, and I can't function at my best.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
The main reason I workout is for muscle gain and if I workout every day then my body doesn't have enough time to recover so I have to take at least 2 days off per week, but I still feel fine on those days even though I don't workout.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
6am workouts seemed to be the most rediculously hard thing previously....

...now I can't function without hitting the gym first thing in the morning.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Absolutely.
5 days of physical activity...sometimes 6.

Weight training 4-5 days/wk.
Martial Arts weekly.
Heavy bag periodically....for some reason it feels really good hitting something.

Meditation daily.

Diet...very good.

All this keeps me sharp and feeling good.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Definitely need a work out:

In the morning: Joint mobility exercises: (will get you energized for the rest of the day)
Afternoon: Heavy workout (Depending on the day, I do a 5 day wave, following the program I made.)
Nighttime: For my job I often have to perform a show, if not I might do some Yoga or isometric strength training.

In between I choose 1 exercise per day to "Grease the groove"

Stan.Geek12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 10, 2015
I really wish my work can allow me hit the gym atlease 3-4 times a week. I really know what great benefits it gives, but then...which comes first. Work or gym to keep fit and feel great?

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
I really wish my work can allow me hit the gym atlease 3-4 times a week. I really know what great benefits it gives, but then...which comes first. Work or gym to keep fit and feel great?

Ehh, wrong. Pretty sure you can fit it in your schedule, you just don't find it important. As for me, I work out 6 times a week, after meditation, 4 days cardio, 2 days weights. After a workout, things just run smoothly for me, I get more done, I even sleep better.

Stan.Geek12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 10, 2015
Ehh, wrong. Pretty sure you can fit it in your schedule, you just don't find it important. As for me, I work out 6 times a week, after meditation, 4 days cardio, 2 days weights. After a workout, things just run smoothly for me, I get more done, I even sleep better.
Supposing am to be in the office from 8 or 9am up till 8 or 9pm in the night, how am i supposed to fit gym into my daily schedule?

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
Supposing am to be in the office from 8 or 9am up till 8 or 9pm in the night, how am i supposed to fit gym into my daily schedule?

Well what time do you normally start your day? I would suggest going early in the morning like most people who have responded here do. You don't have to workout for hours, 30-45 minutes is more than enough, well at least for me.

Stan.Geek12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 10, 2015
Well what time do you normally start your day? I would suggest going early in the morning like most people who have responded here do. You don't have to workout for hours, 30-45 minutes is more than enough, well at least for me.

Awesome. I think I will now be left with doing the self discipline of waking up early to work out. Thanks so much buddy.

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
I would argue everybody needs to regularly workout to feel their best. Those who don't workout have never truly experienced their potential best.

Your mind isn't separate from your body, they are one. Hormones in particular effect your mood, as well as your health (read "why zebras don't get ulcers" for more info, after my dad had a heart attack I read this seeking answers, I got them. More people should read this in today's world). Regular exercise and eating right keeps homeostasis in your body, homeostasis is critical for day to day running of your body and long term health.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Weight lifting/ Sprinting/ Meditation/(yoga) / Intermittent fasting/ Macro and micro nutrient controlled diet

=God mode

I am not going to list all the benefits. but for business,your mind becomes so clear and free.

On that same tip man, have been for years. For anyone serious about their mental performance and energy level: exercise, control your calories and eat right.

Best nootropic/anti-depressant you can swallow.

Want to read about the exercise-brain performance connection? Read:

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316113514/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

"Did you know you can beat stress, lift your mood, fight memory loss, sharpen your intellect, and function better than ever simply by elevating your heart rate and breaking a sweat? The evidence is incontrovertible: aerobic exercise physically remodels our brains for peak performance.

In SPARK, John Ratey, MD embarks upon a fascinating journey through the mind-body connection, illustrating that exercise is truly our best defense against everything from depression to ADD to addiction to menopause to Alzheimer's. Filled with amazing case studies (such as the revolutionary fitness program in Naperville, Illinois, that has put the local school district of 19,000 kids first in the world of science test scores), SPARK is the first book to explore comprehensively the connection between exercise and the brain. It will change forever the way you think about your morning run."

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.