The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you think that the dating app market is too saturated?

Idea threads

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
Hello everyone. I put this idea through GradeMyBusinessIdea.com, and it gave it a C+. The reason why, is because of the commandment of Control. The only third party that could destroy this product is if Android phones were to suddenly stop and disappear, which is highly unlikely anytime soon. So yes, the idea relies on the Android being around (which is the only controlling factor), so it depends on how you look at it.

GradeMyBusinessIdea

I am ready to get to work on this dating app, but I just wanted some opinions. Do you think the dating app market is overly saturated, or the barriers to entry are too low?

Because, while there are tons of dating apps, most of them suck. I want to make a dating app that doesn't suck, is more affordable than others, and cuts out all of the BS that other dating apps have.

So, here are the value skews:

+ Price. $14.99 a month. $179 for a lifetime membership. There are no multiple membership options. You simply pay the monthly membership or lifetime membership, and you have access to everything the app has to offer. No "gold membership", "platinum membership", "member plus" membership, etc.

+ The member search feature is so much better. Unlike Tinder and Bumble, which use the ridiculous swipe left and right mode, you get to see all of the members that are within your search radius, or whatever other attributes you toggle, all in one screen, like Grindr does.

+ No unfair algorithms. Everyone has equal footing. There is no such thing as certain guys being able to be seen while other guys don't. You simply specify search options for what you want, whether it is everyone within your search radius, or someone who has the same interests as you.

+Two modes of dating --> Resume mode (with messaging), or Video-chat.

+ No advertisements

+ Offers good tips to increase your chances of finding your ideal partner.

+ The User Interface is easy to use, and the overall size of the app is small.

+ The search engine has multiple attributes. Search by Zodiac sign, search radius, gender, Intent (casual or long-term relationships), Kink Matching, Goals, etc.

+ Can leave constructive feedback on profiles anonymously.

+ Flag, report profiles that violate the terms of service.

+ Remain hidden if you wish or only be seen by members that you match with or like.

Do you think I should create a dating app that doesn't suck, that puts the others to shame (Tinder, Bumble, Hinge, etc.)? Or do you think the market is too saturated, and the barriers for entry are too low?

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisStanton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 20, 2023
You left out the most important factor… how will you get women on there?

That’s really all that matters. Men will use any app that has women. The key is that you must get women on there and they have to enjoy it enough to tell all their female friends.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There’s 7 million dating app ideas because they think:
1. Hmmm what business should I do. Ah…I should solve a problem
2. The dating market sucks, nobody likes dating apps, etc.
3. I’ll make a dating app

You don’t understand. The nature of the market is the problem.

ChrisStanton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 20, 2023
Don’t know if you seen my execution thread but im a dating coach that specializes in helping guys get dates from online dating apps/sites.

I have an idea that completely breaks the mold and hasn’t been done before as far as making a dating app. Problem is, I have no idea how much money it takes to build a dating app. Going to look into it though

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
Hello everyone. I put this idea through GradeMyBusinessIdea.com, and it gave it a C+. The reason why, is because of the commandment of Control. The only third party that could destroy this product is if Android phones were to suddenly stop and disappear, which is highly unlikely anytime soon. So yes, the idea relies on the Android being around (which is the only controlling factor), so it depends on how you look at it.

GradeMyBusinessIdea

I am ready to get to work on this dating app, but I just wanted some opinions. Do you think the dating app market is overly saturated, or the barriers to entry are too low?

Because, while there are tons of dating apps, most of them suck. I want to make a dating app that doesn't suck, is more affordable than others, and cuts out all of the BS that other dating apps have.

So, here are the value skews:

+ Price. $14.99 a month. $179 for a lifetime membership. There are no multiple membership options. You simply pay the monthly membership or lifetime membership, and you have access to everything the app has to offer. No "gold membership", "platinum membership", "member plus" membership, etc.

+ The member search feature is so much better. Unlike Tinder and Bumble, which use the ridiculous swipe left and right mode, you get to see all of the members that are within your search radius, or whatever other attributes you toggle, all in one screen, like Grindr does.

+ No unfair algorithms. Everyone has equal footing. There is no such thing as certain guys being able to be seen while other guys don't. You simply specify search options for what you want, whether it is everyone within your search radius, or someone who has the same interests as you.

+Two modes of dating --> Resume mode (with messaging), or Video-chat.

+ No advertisements

+ Offers good tips to increase your chances of finding your ideal partner.

+ The User Interface is easy to use, and the overall size of the app is small.

+ The search engine has multiple attributes. Search by Zodiac sign, search radius, gender, Intent (casual or long-term relationships), Kink Matching, Goals, etc.

+ Can leave constructive feedback on profiles anonymously.

+ Flag, report profiles that violate the terms of service.

+ Remain hidden if you wish or only be seen by members that you match with or like.

Do you think I should create a dating app that doesn't suck, that puts the others to shame (Tinder, Bumble, Hinge, etc.)? Or do you think the market is too saturated, and the barriers for entry are too low?

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your time.
The things you mentioned aren't enough. Seems that it will be like Grindr but $14.99 per month and a fair algorithm. How are you going to market that?

Your exact idea has likely been done 10,000+ times. It's about the execution. Do you think the likes of Tinder, Hinge, Bumble, etc., don't spend millions on research and optimization? You will have to do something really out of the box, OR have hundreds of millions to penetrate the mainstream market.

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
The things you mentioned aren't enough. Seems that it will be like Grindr but $14.99 per month and a fair algorithm. How are you going to market that?

Your exact idea has likely been done 10,000+ times. It's about the execution. Do you think the likes of Tinder, Hinge, Bumble, etc., don't spend millions on research and optimization? You will have to do something really out of the box, OR have hundreds of millions to penetrate the mainstream market.

Yeah, you're right TinyTim. Thank you for that. I was thinking the same thing--I could make the best out of all the features, and it would still not be enough to compete with what is already out on the current market. There would have to be something new and innovative, and I just don't see what it could be.

At least I can rule this idea out now. I didn't want to spend insane amounts of time on something that might not pan out well.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.