The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you need to learn coding for web design, even if you are using Wordpress?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
I have been using Wordpress to create an e-commerce website, but I have noticed a lot of people learn HTML and JavaScript before they build a website. But I am in the beginning stages of Wordpress and web development is going just fine and the plug-ins and themes I use do not require any code, however since I am different to the majority in this case, I was wondering if this route for web-development is not ideal or practical.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
You can outsource that skillset, and hire a web designer in stead of learning it.

But if you're asking if you should learn it to make it your daily job, then yes, probably.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
WordPress is pretty plug-and-play at this point between the different themes and plugins available. Though I'll say having at least a basic understanding in HTML, JavaScript, and CSS helps which you can get for free just by searching on YouTube or trying your hand at those languages on sites like Codecademy. For ecommerce, you could use WooCommerce but I've had a much better experience using Shopify as a platform instead of WordPress entirely.

They both have their pros and cons but Shopify is kind of the standard for plug-and-play platforms in the ecommerce realm and I personally just like how much simpler it is compared to WooCommerce. So if you haven't already pulled the trigger on your site, I'd suggest going that route but if not, WooCommerce is totally doable too. Just make sure the WP template you choose plays nicely with it.

Unless you plan on developing a site from the ground up, you're not going to need much more than an understanding of how your chosen platform works. But like I said, the more you know about those languages, the easier it is.

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
You can outsource that skillset, and hire a web designer in stead of learning it.

But if you're asking if you should learn it to make it your daily job, then yes, probably.
I appreciate your advice, and to answer your question I am leaning towards the option in learning it. As I want to do as much as I can myself in this moment of time, and to be self-sufficient in this field. As my main focus is getting out there as soon as possible and have a minimum viable product ready for consumers to use and give feedback to.

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
Tha
WordPress is pretty plug-and-play at this point between the different themes and plugins available. Though I'll say having at least a basic understanding in HTML, JavaScript, and CSS helps which you can get for free just by searching on YouTube or trying your hand at those languages on sites like Codecademy. For ecommerce, you could use WooCommerce but I've had a much better experience using Shopify as a platform instead of WordPress entirely.

They both have their pros and cons but Shopify is kind of the standard for plug-and-play platforms in the ecommerce realm and I personally just like how much simpler it is compared to WooCommerce. So if you haven't already pulled the trigger on your site, I'd suggest going that route but if not, WooCommerce is totally doable too. Just make sure the WP template you choose plays nicely with it.

Unless you plan on developing a site from the ground up, you're not going to need much more than an understanding of how your chosen platform works. But like I said, the more you know about those languages, the easier it is.
Thank you for your insight bro and I am currently using the woocommerce plug-in followed by Elementor and the Riode theme and it is going smoothly so far, however I have the sense that lacking in the knowledge of HTML, JavaScript and CSS puts me at risks when it comes to the website performance. Whenever you get the time could you take a look at my latest to have a brief understanding of my website Idea.

I was considering using the shopify platform for my website, as it has the tools to get me up and running however looking into it’s API I don’t think it handles peer-to-peer sales, and I was unsure if this would be efficient because my website revolves around that aspect. Can you please answer this question whenever you get the chance.

Siffrin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 13, 2021
I’ve been working on my Wordpress website for a few months already, and a lot of times I’ve had to add my own CSS code, and use my browsers developer tools. I suggest that you learn at least the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and once you do try do as much as you can. If you ever encounter a problem with coding, the web might have an answer (of course, the web doesn’t have the answer to every problem).
:)

Siffrin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 13, 2021
Learning to use a browsers developer tools is very helpful as well, because it allows you to see what CSS class an HTML element has, so that you can use your own code to edit it.

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
Thank you for your reply, and I have decided that I will learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and build from it. I would like to point out the fact that you said that you have used wordpress for your website. How did you find it and Is this an e-commerce website? How and why do you need to see what CSS class an HTML element has and why do you use your own code to edit it ?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I have been using Wordpress to create an e-commerce website, but I have noticed a lot of people learn HTML and JavaScript before they build a website. But I am in the beginning stages of Wordpress and web development is going just fine and the plug-ins and themes I use do not require any code, however since I am different to the majority in this case, I was wondering if this route for web-development is not ideal or practical.
You don't have to. Like others have pointed out, you can always hire a fullstack developer later to add some fancy functions to your website or make it cooler.

HTML and CSS are not programming languages(HTML is a HyperTextMarkup language whereas CSS is a styling language just like SaaS). JavaScript, Python, Java are pure programming languages and are much harder to learn since you really have to learn how to think like a programmer all the way through since the very beginning. That takes some time to get adjusted to.

HTML is by far the easiest language to learn out of them all. CSS is a little more difficult since it has so many details and is a deep language. You'll have to look things up frequently since it's so diverse and it's beautiful. You can create an awesome looking page just by using CSS and HTML like parallax scrolling.

If you want to have different servers and a server that holds individual user information, then you'll need a programming language that can operate on the backendd like JavaScript with node.js. JavaScript is probably the best language to learn for programming as of now.

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
You don't have to. Like others have pointed out, you can always hire a fullstack developer later to add some fancy functions to your website or make it cooler.

HTML and CSS are not programming languages(HTML is a HyperTextMarkup language whereas CSS is a styling language just like SaaS). JavaScript, Python, Java are pure programming languages and are much harder to learn since you really have to learn how to think like a programmer all the way through since the very beginning. That takes some time to get adjusted to.

HTML is by far the easiest language to learn out of them all. CSS is a little more difficult since it has so many details and is a deep language. You'll have to look things up frequently since it's so diverse and it's beautiful. You can create an awesome looking page just by using CSS and HTML like parallax scrolling.

If you want to have different servers and a server that holds individual user information, then you'll need a programming language that can operate on the backendd like JavaScript with node.js. JavaScript is probably the best language to learn for programming as of now.
You have made a good point about the use of different servers, as my website will consist of peer-to-peer sales. Also I have prior experience with coding in python and know the fundamentals pretty well, so will this help me with learning JavaScript and aid me in implementing it on the backend.

Also in this moment of time, I do not have the intention of hiring a developer as I want to do as much as I can myself and my main focus is getting out there as soon as possible and have a minimum viable product ready for consumers to use and give feedback to.

I am currently using Wordpress and using the plug-in choices of Woo-commerce, Elementor and the Riode theme. My thoughts are will this be sufficient for a Minimum Viable Product or do I need to learn HTML, JavaScript and CSS fundamentals and implement it to compensate this website.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
No. I've been building websites using Elementor and Shopify is great for ecom.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
You have made a good point about the use of different servers, as my website will consist of peer-to-peer sales. Also I have prior experience with coding in python and know the fundamentals pretty well, so will this help me with learning JavaScript and aid me in implementing it on the backend.

Also in this moment of time, I do not have the intention of hiring a developer as I want to do as much as I can myself and my main focus is getting out there as soon as possible and have a minimum viable product ready for consumers to use and give feedback to.

I am currently using Wordpress and using the plug-in choices of Woo-commerce, Elementor and the Riode theme. My thoughts are will this be sufficient for a Minimum Viable Product or do I need to learn HTML, JavaScript and CSS fundamentals and implement it to compensate this website.
Of course. You probably already know how to think like a programmer so it's gonna help you.

I don't know what to say man, you have to test it out yourself. As long as you have the basics and you understand how they work, you can definitely supplement them with plugins.

Siffrin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 13, 2021
Thank you for your reply, and I have decided that I will learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and build from it. I would like to point out the fact that you said that you have used wordpress for your website. How did you find it and Is this an e-commerce website? How and why do you need to see what CSS class an HTML element has and why do you use your own code to edit it ?
I’m not sure how I found Wordpress, since it happened quite a long time ago (six months?), but I’ve been using it for website for the past four months. For your question on editing a CSS class, let’s say you have an element on your website which isn’t the right color, doesn’t belong there, or is letting text overflow off its edges. Then, if you knew what CSS class it had, you could change its CSS properties using a toolkit plugin (or any other plugin that lets you add you own CSS code). One thing I do a lot is remove elements:
.exampleclass {
display: none;
}

AndreyDuplanti

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 1, 2022
I have been using Wordpress to create an e-commerce website, but I have noticed a lot of people learn HTML and JavaScript before they build a website. But I am in the beginning stages of Wordpress and web development is going just fine and the plug-ins and themes I use do not require any code, however since I am different to the majority in this case, I was wondering if this route for web-development is not ideal or practical. best wp themes for elementor
It all depends on the desire. It seems to me that any knowledge would not be superfluous. But still I did not spend time to learn programming, and created it with Wordpress. I chose created my first website. In addition, I saved on the fact that I did not find a programmer and did not pay him several times more expensive for the development of the site. But it all depends on what you want. If you are not too busy with your work, introducing the business, in order to develop and in another direction, or as a hobby, you can learn how to program.

Last edited:

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
Junior web dev here.

I might be late at the party, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents:

You don't need to learn any language to deploy WordPress, unless you'll come across a step which require to do so.

Instead, I would deploy some time to learn UX and UI strategies to choose the right template to the right persona of your target customer. And SEO. Hard banking when you're not ranking.

You'll be always in time to learn HTML and CSS to implement some prettier features and/or build your own custom WP template. But as the time I am writing, WP is probably the best CMS on the market, it has some great plug-ins and template builders (ELEMENTOR on top of the list imo) that do not require you to learn any code skills.

All the best for your work!

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
Instead, I would deploy some time to learn UX and UI strategies to choose the right template to the right persona of your target customer. And SEO. Hard banking when you're not ranking.

You'll be always in time to learn HTML and CSS to implement some prettier features and/or build your own custom WP template. But as the time I am writing, WP is probably the best CMS on the market, it has some great plug-ins and template builders (ELEMENTOR on top of the list imo) that do not require you to learn any code skills.

All the best for your work!
You came at a good time actually,

Since I posted this thread, I went off to learn HTML,CSS & JavaScript. Decided to get into web design to sell my service. Created my first website for a business client, but struggling to leverage from there.

Why did you specifically mention SEO and UI strategies, will this help increase the demand for my services ?

Also how do you approach clients to sell your service, cold-calling & emails?

Appreciate your response

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
You came at a good time actually,

Since I posted this thread, I went off to learn HTML,CSS & JavaScript. Decided to get into web design to sell my service. Created my first website for a business client, but struggling to leverage from there.

Why did you specifically mention SEO and UI strategies, will this help increase the demand for my services ?

Also how do you approach clients to sell your service, cold-calling & emails?

Appreciate your response
Congrats for your first website!!

May I ask you if the eCommerce you built with WP was for you to sell your product/ services or it was for a customer because your business is web design? It'll help me better orientate to give you an answer. Thank you in advance

Alin Farah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 6, 2022
United Kingdom
Congrats for your first website!!

May I ask you if the eCommerce you built with WP was for you to sell your product/ services or it was for a customer because your business is web design? It'll help me better orientate to give you an answer. Thank you in advance
The eCommerce site was built to sell my service, however due to more research, I decided to get into web design to build the skills needed to run a business, get some experience with the market and to help ramp up my capital acquisition.

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
The eCommerce site was built to sell my service, however due to more research, I decided to get into web design to build the skills needed to run a business, get some experience with the market and to help ramp up my capital acquisition.
It seems that the leverage struggle you mentioned is related to engage new clientele rather than be linked to a lack of technical component, am I wrong?

In short, UX (user experience) and UI (user interface) both require a bit of research and a eye to the trends, but I notices they do make the difference on the final product you deliver for gaining positive feedback and word of mouth. Overall the majority of the clientele seeking for a website all they want is an interface, lean and clean, with only the essential functionalities required to the scope, engaging and attractive for the user, easy to maintain, and cost-effective when it comes the bill. You mentioned Elementor, and it is a great tool in my humble opinion, because it adsorbs the CSS grid, flex box and bootstrap learning curve for you.

I am no expert regarding leverage services /product but I am pretty sure you would like to talk with two legendary members in the community: Andy Black and Fox.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.