The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do what I'm a master of, or what I think will get me rich?

Anything related to matters of the mind

What direction should we take our Fastlane business?

• Music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else, like Amazon FBA

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been on here,

Before I joined the forum I had no idea what I was going to do, but knew I would rather die than stay at my corporate IT job.

Since I've joined the forum, I've started a Fastlane business with one of my close friends from college. We went to, and met at, one of the best modern music schools in the world, for the small sum of $200,000 each for Audio Engineering degrees.

Why did we quit music and start a Fastlane business?

Because we couldn't find jobs in the music industry that were worth more than minimum wage.

We now have an Amazon business, LLC, and have made a few thousand doing arbitrage on used items while we orient where we really want to take it. We've gone through a couple ideas:

Idea 1: Buy crap cheap from China and sell it for more (terrible, I know)

Idea 2: Create a BRAND, specializing in health and fitness, provide massive amounts of content on social media to build a following, then launch products under that.

Here's where we're stuck

We both live in the gym, and have transformed our lives by going from smoking packs of cigarettes a day at school to doing powerlifting and martial arts, but we probably have a year of fitness experience at best.

Meanwhile, we both started playing piano before the age of five, and have put in WELL over 10,000 hours to music, not to mention an education most don't have access to.

I was always the go-to person at school who everybody would ask for advice with their mixes, productions, etc. When people would ask me persistently enough I'd spend days coaching them through improving their projects, and would take payment in pizza and beer when offered.

We've come full circle

We are now thinking about making our Fastlane business about music, which ironically, we quit in order TO START a Fastlane business!

Provide content through social media channels and youtube tutorials, record skype and google sessions listening to people's tracks and giving critiques and advice, releasing knowledge products as well as sound banks and sample packs to detach our money from our time.

All with the massive barrier of entry of a lifetime spent living and breathing our craft.

That's nowhere to be found in "Buy crap cheap from china and sell it for more on Amazon"

Now, what about Scale?

I can see us making a living off this, maybe even a couple hundred thousand a year each, but millions?

What thoughts do you have on this?

Does this seem like the right road, or am I falling into a trap of assuming because I'm passionate about something it must be the best choice?

Because, there's always buying stuff cheap from china and selling it for more on Amazon...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
Make the decision yourself.

The forum can't make decisions like that for you,you must decide what is best for you.

I gotta say that definitely stopped me in my tracks. I really appreciate the wisdom.

My post stems from fear more than indecisiveness. I feel as though I know where to go, but I'm afraid I might be falling into a cognitive bias that I'm totally unaware of, and then I'll look back in a couple years and say to myself "That was obviously impossible to scale, now you're stuck living a life of mediocrity."

G

Guest34764

My post stems from fear more than indecisiveness. I feel as though I know where to go, but I'm afraid I might be falling into a cognitive bias that I'm totally unaware of, and then I'll look back in a couple years and say to myself "That was obviously impossible to scale, now you're stuck living a life of mediocrity."

An entrepreneur and certainly a business man must have the ability to adapt to any shitty situation presented to him.You're never stuck anywhere if you happen to trip and fall then just stand back up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
@NoRedBMW

The creator of this forum @MJ DeMarco has created a tool that may be able to help you.

http://www.helpmydecision.com/

The site reads:

TOUGH DECISION AHEAD?

Every so often, your life hits a critical breakpoint: a fork in the road, a moment of decision where a profound choice has the power to forever change the trajectory of your life.

Shine A Light On Your Best Choice!

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
@NoRedBMW

The creator of this forum @MJ DeMarco has created a tool that may be able to help you.

http://www.helpmydecision.com/

The site reads:

TOUGH DECISION AHEAD?

Every so often, your life hits a critical breakpoint: a fork in the road, a moment of decision where a profound choice has the power to forever change the trajectory of your life.

Shine A Light On Your Best Choice!

Haha I just discovered the online version and used it last night and it gave me and my business partner an answer.

I think we're going to have to trust our instincts and go with the niche we think we can provide the most value to, even when it'll be harder, and not think about how we can get rich easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.